[Light and Night Event] Sariel's 2022 Birthday Event Story 03: Hills of Mount KunLun || 光与夜之恋 齐司礼生日: 千山净色・昆仑山丘

9/15/2022 01:19:00 AM 0 Comments A+ a-

 


You may consider reading previous parts from the links below:

Prologue | Part 01 | Part 02 | Part 03 | Part 04 + Phone Call


For this part of the story, you can start watching the video recording from this timestamp:




What are the rustling sounds...?







Upon entering the spruce forest, there are only two types of colors laying before my eyes.


Greens of different shades are combined together, dyed with a golden sheen by the setting sun, exuding a type of peaceful serenity from somewhere distant and quiet.


The backpack I was carrying is already long in Sariel's hand, and he's holding my hand tightly as well.


But even so, perhaps it was due to the high altitude, I could still feel some heaviness in my footsteps after some walking.


Sariel: Let's get some rest.


I nodded, and took a deep breath while supporting myself against the tree trunk beside me, wanting to search for the oxygen bottle in my bag.


Just then, rustles are suddenly heard from the shrubs behind me.


You: Whoa!


Our surroundings were originally very quiet, so the sudden movement scared me, that I subconsciously hid beside Sariel.


You: What's that... It doesn't sound like a bird, is it some kind of beast?


Sariel naturally shields me behind him to capture the rustling sounds from the shrubs.


Sariel: It's not an animal this time.


You: Then what is it? Erda?


He nodded, and only then I let out a breath in relief.


Sariel looks towards the shrubs, and raised his voice slightly.


Sariel: I'm an Erda too.


The shrub moved a little as soon as Sariel finished speaking. It's clear that the other party has heard him, but have no plans to make an appearance to see us.


You: Is it because of my presence? Did he find out that I'm a human?


Sariel: It has nothing to do with you, Erdas here aren't that hostile towards humans.


Sariel closes his eyes, and it was as though he suddenly recalled something, he took out a round bronze plate from his pocket.


Sariel: I did not barge into the barrier without permission, but I was requested to visit Gammu*.


*I'm not sure if this is the right way to type the characters' names, but I'm basically referring from sites like [1], [2] and books like [3]. I attempted the Tibetan name system because of how the environment, attire and traveling style towards KunLun in this story resembles the traveling experience to Tibet. 


Sariel: I have a token as proof.


The surroundings are still quiet, and after some time has passed, sounds are finally heard from the shrubs again.


I was first welcomed with a dark grey pair of wolf ears, then followed by a pair of bright, black eyes.


A youth dressed in a thick robe is carefully hiding behind the shrubs. His gaze is completely fixated onto the "token" in Sariel's hand, and finally spoke after staring for a long time.


Wolf-eared Boy: So you're Nine Tail?


Sariel: Yes.


The youth sniffed a little, and showed a confused expression.


Wolf-eared Boy: But you have a faint smell of an Erda.


Sariel: It's probably... because I've lived too long among the humans.


Sariel made an explanation after pausing a little. The wolf-eared boy seemed to have agreed with that saying, and turned around to look towards me.


Wolf-eared Boy: Then what about you? Are you a human?


You: I'm n...


Out of reflex, I wanted to deny it, but I remembered Sariel saying that the Erdas here are not hostile towards humans. So rather than hiding my identity, it might be better if I'm more honest about it.


So I've simply nodded.


You: I am. Although we might not be the same kind, but I am not hostile towards Erdas. I've also met many Erdas in the past...


I tried my best to explain myself in hopes to quickly build trust with the boy, but unexpectedly, he only blinked in a blur, and blurted a sentence.


Wolf-eared Boy: It's my first time seeing a human in such a large size...


Huh? Large size? Is he talking about me?


I am at loss of words being in a daze, and even Sariel stunned for a moment, but chuckled right after.


Yet, on the other side, the wolf-eared boy still continued speaking.


Wolf-eared Boy: You're taller than me, you're very mighty-looking! Ah, no, a-ma* taught me not to describe girls with an adjective like this...


*A regular Tibetan parent term is a-ma for mother and a-pha for father, pola for grandfather, and mola for grandmother


As though he has just realized that he has said something wrong, the boy quickly waved his hands, and the ears on the top of his head began shaking in panic too.


Wolf-eared Boy: I mean... Compared to those human younglings that entered the barrier by mistake, you are indeed... larger in size.


You: Haha, thanks for your explanation...


It feels a little odd to be described as someone "mighty" by others for the very first time*, but because of what the boy said, the originally tensed atmosphere became much more relaxed.


*MC are you sure Jesse never described you with that when you two were kids at some point of time...


His gaze travels up and between us, and finally landed onto the bronze plate.


Sariel: Would you like to reconfirm it?


The boy quickly nodded and walked towards us. Upon confirming the token, he lets out a breath in relief, and finally looks completely relaxed.


Jangji: I'm Jiangji. I've been on the watch over here to lead the way for you.


Jangji: A-ma said you haven't been back for many years, so much has changed in KunLun, so she's worried that you might be lost.


Sariel: Yes, thank you.


Jangji waved, turn around and showed us the way.


But only after a few steps taken, Jangji can't help but to look at Sariel again.


Sariel: Do you have any other questions?


Jangji: No! It's just...


After hesitating for a moment, he scratches the tip of his ears.


Jangji: I heard you can help Gammu spo lag, is that true?


Help? I only know we're on this journey to meet an old acquaintance of Sariel's, it's probably this "Gammu" they spoke of, but what's with the "helping" part?


So, I'm also quietly waiting for Sariel's answer. After a pause, he shook his head instead.


Sariel: I don't know.


Not expecting an answer like this, the anticipation in Jangji's eyes gradually dispersed, and the gleam in his eyes seemed to look a little gloomier.


He drooped his head, and only to find his voice again after some time.


Jangji: You can definitely do it. A-ma told me before, that Mr. Nine Tail is very powerful, even more powerful than Gammu pola and Wonjin mola.


*Gammu's name in the story is 甘木 (Ganmu in Pinyin) and . Wonjin文茎 (Wenjing in Pinyin). I can't be 100% certain if the romanizations of any of their names are correct, and I can't tell if they mean the same as what was intended to because I don't actually understand Tibetan, but it also doesn't feel really right to use just the full Han name. Though one thing to point out that they are both Erdas, and their names are plant-related. Gammu's 'Mu' means 'wood' in the Han character, while Wonjin's 'Jing' means 'stem' in the Han character. It's confirmed that Gammu is a plant Erda in his birthday story.


Jangji: So, you can definitely do it.


He spoke so softly, that it sounded as though he's muttering to himself.


Sariel looked sullen too. I have no idea what exactly happened, so I can only hold his hand softly.


In the midst of the lush mountain forest, the evening winds began to rise.




Looks like we've entered somewhere incredible...







Other parts:

Prologue | Part 01 | Part 02 | Part 03 | Part 04 + Phone Call




Translates on an irregular basis, works on short bursts of energy, suffering in muscle spasms. Travelled from north to south of Japan but would go back again and again. Also a polyglot.