[Light and Night Event] Sariel's 2022 Birthday Event Story 02: Through the Canyon || 光与夜之恋 齐司礼生日: 千山净色・穿越峡谷

9/12/2022 07:53:00 PM 0 Comments A+ a-


You may consider reading Prologue here, and Part 01 here.


For this part of the story, you can start watching the video recording from this timestamp:





What would there be in the canyon?



When time's approaching the evening, our car has finally stopped outside a somewhat barren canyon.


Sariel: We've arrived.


You: Oh... Is this KunLun? But it looks like there aren't anything around here.


Sariel: No, we still have to go through this canyon. But we can't drive from this point onwards.


After getting out from the car, I curiously examined my surroundings as I stood in the howling winds of the canyon entrance.


Outside the thick barbed wire that surrounds the canyon stands a giant signboard, with a hard-to-pronounce name of the location written on it.


It took me a moment to only link this unfamiliar name to its other name together -- Death Canyon.


You: Sariel, are we really going to walk across this canyon by foot? Isn't it too dangerous?


You: Haven't you seen those rumors on the internet? This place is called "Death Canyon".


You: There were so many people who entered there and never came out, moreover--


Sariel locks the car, and interrupted my speech.


Sariel: The terrains in the canyon is more complex, and the weather in nearby areas changes frequently as well, hence it's indeed easy for ordinary humans to enter this place abruptly.


Sariel: But the reason why there are so much "rumors" on the internet, I suppose the greater cause behind it is the barrier around here that is set up by the Erdas.


Sariel: To humans, Erdas that enter KunLun through the barrier would seem like they have vanished in thin air.


I see. I nodded, but just the sight of those densely-packed barbed wires makes me a little nervous.


Sariel: I didn't know you are usually this timid.


Sariel: Don't worry, as long as you are following me, there won't be any problems.


We entered the canyon through an opening of the barbed wires where jagged slopes are on both sides, that even the wafting winds bring a sense of danger.


I followed behind Sariel in careful steps, and very quickly stopped before a wall of mountain. The hidden cave connects directly to an eerily dark depth, and it seems like I can also hear sounds of gurgling waters.


A blurry ray of light seeps through the top of the cave, and allowed me to barely see the slippery ground under my feet.


Thank goodness I'm wearing shoes that are convenient for walking... Just when I had this thought in mind, suddenly, a hand is reached out towards me.


Sariel: The path is treacherous, you can slow down, and be careful.


Just when Sariel finishes his sentence, I immediately placed my hand onto his palm. The warm hand wrapped around my icy-cold fingers, and allowed my panicking heart to calm down.


We walked for some distance just like that, and sounds of birds flapping suddenly sounded in the darkness, bringing a gust of winds and flew straight towards us from above!


I subconsciously grabbed Sariel, about to pull him to dodge away, but I was pulled into an embrace with a greater force.


Sariel shielded the back of my head with his hand, with his voice falling right by my ear, accompanied with his warm breaths.


Sariel: Don't look up for now.


The hand holding mine still hasn't let go, so I can only lean onto his shoulder, and held his hand back even harder.


After a while, the flapping sounds disappeared, and Sariel lets go of me.


Sariel: It was just a few birds, they might've probably been frightened by our footsteps.


You: ... To be scared like this, why are they more timid than I do?


Sariel: Since you're a clumsy bird, so your courage is indeed a little more than general birds.


The voice above me did not conceal the laugh within at all, so I muttered sullenly.


You: You were clearly saying I was timid earlier...


With a short episode, and with a turn, at last, I've finally welcomed the pouring rays of bright light.


Exiting the dark cave, the vast scene is now brightened right before my eyes.


The forest and grass where the river runs across the canyon, where pools of various sizes scattered around, are all glistening in clear, bright sparkles.


You: This place is just too beautiful...


I looked around in excitement as I walked, with a tint glow of light from the woods taking my attention, and to find a golden flower later.


You: Sariel, what flower is that? It has a really special color.


Sariel: Goldfrost flower. But it isn't its flowering season now, it'll be even brighter when it truly blooms.


Sariel: This type of flower only blooms in KunLun, it is greatly tenacious in vitality, that it can even grow on the tallest and the coldest mountaintops.


Sariel: So, it represents "life" in the eyes of the Erdas here.


Upon listening to his explanation, I suddenly feel that the tiny little flower seems to be able to bear great weights, that not only I am feeling overwhelmed with how impressed I am, but also feeling a little saddened for it.


You: It's a pity that I can't see it bloom...


You: Say, can we still come back to have a look when it's time for it to bloom?


Sariel closes his eyes and pondered for a moment before answering me.


Sariel: Let's discuss that again when we have time.


I was originally just simply blurting my mind, but I didn't expect him to not decline it. I was stunned a little, but very quickly returned to my senses, and happily caught up to his footsteps.


While walking by a stream, there are slippery algae growing on the pebbles in the stream. Just when I was hesitating, for once again, Sariel reached out his arm towards me.


Sariel: We're almost there, it's right over there.


Hearing what Sariel had just said, I lifted my head and looked into the distant. A spruce forest like a sea of jade is laid before my eyes, rustling and swaying in the winds.


In that instant, as though a breeze is passing through the bottom of my heart, I began to look forward to it even more.



Let's meet again when the flowers bloom.



Other parts:

Prologue | Part 01 | Part 02 | Part 03 | Part 04 + Phone Call

Translates on an irregular basis, works on short bursts of energy, suffering in muscle spasms. Travelled from north to south of Japan but would go back again and again. Also a polyglot.