Light and Night Main Story Chapter 8-17: Belated Midsummer (迟来的盛夏) | 光与夜之恋 主线剧情第八章(英译)

11/06/2021 08:49:00 PM 0 Comments A+ a-

 

Previously on Chapter 8-14 (read here)...


You: It's clear that I was the one bringing you home alright? Sending you to your mother's hand safely. You brat.


I habitually lifted an arm wanting to ruffle his hair, but soon realized that he has already grown a lot taller, and I can only reach it after tiptoeing.


Jesse: Don't you dare to call me a brat!


You: Well it can't be helped that I'm two years older than you after all.


Jesse: But I'm already taller than you!


The youth drooped his gaze at me, showing a dazzling smile.


Jesse: Let's go, time to go home~



You: Test time! Which bus route did we take back then? I moved houses after I started working, but the bus route is still the same.


Jesse: Route 102.


You: How do you still remember that?



Jesse: Of course I can remember them all! I can remember anything about you better than yourself. It's here, the bus is here!


He shielded my back with an arm, and we quickly boarded the bus.



Although it's weekend, the bus is still full of students in their uniforms. We can only pull the handle as we stood at the aisle.


Jesse: Say, are they going for replacement classes? Isn't it Sunday today?


You: There are many schools nowadays requiring weekend classes too, it isn't like how we were back then, enjoying weekend offs.


Jesse: Huh that's so nice, it'd be nice if we were born a few years later.


You: Give me a break! Why didn't I know that you were this enthusiastic in your studies back then?


Jesse: I'm now enthusiastic in studies, can't I? Look at that pair--


He pointed at the boy and girl sitting together shoulder to shoulder at the last row of the bus, with one side of earphone each, yet there were no communication between them, only to look out of the windows together.


The boy would turn his head around to have a glance at the girl from time to time, yet he can always avert his gaze before the girl notices it.



Jesse: Don't you think they look like us back then?


You: Which part were they alike? We were pretty much messing around with each other alright?


Jesse: Correction, you were hitting me one-sidedly. 


I quickly glared at him.


Jesse: But they are still way different compared to us back then, he isn't as handsome I was.


You: ......



Jesse: Look at them, with a hand holding their bag, with another both placed on their seats, with only a glance you'll know they wanted to hold hands but they dare not to.


You: They look like they are just mid-schoolers, your thoughts are a little problematic.


Jesse: This pair of eyes of mine have seen through too much. Aiya*, that's so dumb, slowly approach her and hold her hand already! 


*T/N: The typical Asian sound of exclamation they make that expresses various sorts of emotions depending on the context. Here, Jesse sounded like the kind of Chinese father that sounded disappointed over his son for being dumb but in a gossiping manner lololol


You: You talk as if you would do that too.


Jesse: Of course I'd do it, I was just not brave enough, otherwise long ago I'd--


You: You'd what?


Jesse glanced at me, shook his head, and stayed quiet.



You: Boasting again aren't you.


The bus suddenly shook, the boy's phone dropped onto the floor and rolled to us. Jesse picked it up, and returned it to them.


I glanced at the song being played on it right now, it's actually a song from my favorite male singer back then.


You: How nostalgic, I was like this back then too, only dared enough to openly listen to songs using MP3s when I'm on my way home from school.


Jesse: Well I'm different, I'm even doing things openly in class.


You: That's exactly why you were confiscated by Madam Kill-All* for five times.


*T/N: Reference to Chapter 8-05 (read here). Madam Kill-All (灭绝师太, Mièjué Shītài) is a character from The Heaven Sword and Dragon Saber by Jin Yong (Louis Cha). "Miejue" literally means "destroy and eliminate", and she's the radically dogmatic leader of Emei. Her dogmatic and extreme views lead her to commit various ethically and morally vicious deeds. For Jesse to describe a teacher as Miejue Shitai, the teacher must've been really strict.



Jesse: But I redeemed them back with five 100% exam papers~


You: Yeah right, you show-off.


You: Back then we were thinking that time was passing so slowly, and when we can grow up to do whatever we want as an adult. But what was unexpected is that time suddenly flies so quickly, after becoming an adult, every single day is busy, and there isn't even time to listen to songs. Then with another blink of an eye, the people around me have all changed.


Jesse: But, there are always some things that will never change. Whatever that we kept with us will allow us to turn into that kind of adult.


You: Then what did you keep?


He stopped talking, only giggling at me.



I noticed your frequency of giggling is a little high now, huh.


Jesse: I'm looking at what I've kept... 


Jesse: Say, what if we attended the same high school together, how will it turn out for us right now?


You: Then I think it might be impossible for you to lose weight, since you're always eating at my place every day.


Jesse: Are you assuming I didn't understand that you're going sarcastic at me now?


You: Hahahaha--


How would it turn out? I don't know too.


Granny's passing, and heading far overseas during my second year of high school, we would perhaps still be separated after all.


You: Luckily, we met again.


He suddenly suddenly stuffed an earphone into my ear, and in no time, the wooden guitar intro has pulled me back to those youthful years.


I thought I have long forgotten the lyrics, but I could still hum toe songs of "Little yellow flower" and "Swing".


Turns out that the things we thought we've forgotten are actually deeply engraved in our minds, only awaiting for their time to be awakened.


You: There's an MP3 like this at home too. But it's broken, I need to look for a repair shop to repair it. Oh right, why are you listening to this song? Weren't you pretty much in disdain back then?



Jesse: Afterwards as I kept listening I think he isn't bad after all. Though he's still not as good as I am. You said it before, I'm the God of songs in your eyes.


You: Hahahaha, alright alright, God of songs. I didn't expect for you to really work in this industry and became a theater actor, it's too wonderful.


Jesse: Wonderful?


You: There was an essay when we were younger where you had to write about the kind of adult you wanted to become, you wrote that you wanted to be a singer to sing for the world. Then your mother saw it, and forced you to erase them all and changed it to scientist.


Hearing me recalling the embarrassing episodes in the past, he scratched the back of his head in embarrassment.


You: To be able to make your dreams to a reality, and it's even a dream that wasn't understood and acknowledged, it's really commendable.


Jesse: Because I have a mysterious power that supports me.


Listening to the music, I suddenly thought of the costume I designed for him. Perhaps I can add a bit of youthful element to it. I quickly took out my notebook from my bag, but my head suddenly turned dizzy, and my nose crashed towards his shoulder.


You: Ouch!


Jesse: ......


He turned around helplessly and bent down.



Jesse: Draw while leaning against my back then, Missy.


You: Okay!



The autumn night falls quickly. The night winds are howling in distant as the leaves rustles.


The bustling sounds in the bus, the sounds of teases and intimacy seemed to have disappeared into the winds without a trace. There's only the two of us left, walking quietly to our way home from the bus stop.


The moonlight pours on the sidewalk and draws out Jesse's side profile. It's no longer a round figure, and it became a little unfamiliar.


You: Tangyuan, why did you suddenly move away back then?


I didn't know why I suddenly asked this, there's just this weird premonition, it feels like if I don't ask him now, he'll disappear again.


A sliver of guilt flashed past Jesse's face.



Jesse: Did you remember the call I gave you on the day I left?


You: Call? What call?


Jesse: Did you forgot about it? You picked it up back then, but I only said a couple of words and it was hung up.


You: ...... When did I hang up?


Why don't I remember a single bit about it?!


You: What exactly happened?



Jesse: Back then our family wanted to move away, I tried to get a week's time, hoping to stay and complete the competition with you. I didn't dare to tell you all these while, I was afraid that you'd be sad if you knew about it. After that, I mustered up my courage and called you, but you no longer wish to hear my voice.


You: It never happened. Why, I didn't know about it at all...


Jesse: So you've never hung up on me before?


He suddenly grabbed onto my shoulders, his fingers are cold. I could almost feel his body trembling slightly.



Jesse: You weren't unwilling to listen to my voice?!


He asked again, his tone is almost affirmative.


During a period after his departure, I refused to hear this very name that sounded equal to "betrayal". But nobody knew, I once also have secretly anticipated for him to return someday.


At this that has proven, that in any sort of relationship, I'm not the one that is being abandoned.


But why would it be such an answer? A mistake? It's just a mistake that has been made so long ago that there's probably no way to verify? 


Just thinking of this makes my chest tightened so much that it's so uncomfortable.


You: So that's why you've never looked for me after all these years?


The youth became quiet as the winds brushes past his orange hair/


Jesse: The reason I didn't find you wasn't related to the phone, but me. It's me... being not brave enough.


I suddenly didn't know how to respond to his calm gaze, because I've now understood, that the parting back then wasn't any of our faults.


You: Jesse.


Jesse: Hm?


You: Did you purposely place the MP3 in the metal box?


Jesse: Yeah.


You: You placed that card too.


Jesse: Yeah. But I didn't accompany you to compete, and I haven't been by your side at all times. It seems like I didn't fulfil any of my promises.


I shook my head vigorously, my eyes already teary.



Jesse: But now, I'll not run away anymore. As long as it's something I promised you, I will do it.


He took a step closer to me. The years have made the once delicate youth to change completely, and grown into a man with an exceptional firm gaze. Being watched by such a gaze, no matter how many times it is, I will choose to believe in him.



After sending me home, he stood outside the corridor as usual as he watches me enter the door, just like how it was in the past.


Five minutes later, rustling sounds could be heard from the outside of the window.



Jesse: Y/N, open the windows!



I opened the windows in a blur, and the scene before my eyes almost made me cry.



Pink-colored confetti is fluttering all over the city skies, dancing gently under the night summer skies, just like the snow that wasn't redeemed many years ago.


Under the pink snow, the youth showed a bright, hearty smile as he waved towards me.



Jesse: You asked me if I regretted it or not, and the answer is yes, I regret it. I regret it very much at every single moment. The summer has already ended, but why do I feel like this spring has only just begun? Next week, come and watch my performance. This time, I'll wait for you.


You: Okay, I'll be there!


Until the snowflakes have all fallen, Jesse finally walked home with unwillingness to leave. If he was just a little braver back then, and stayed stronger for just a little more, will the story end differently?



He didn't know, it's just that the rainy day back then seemed to be still staying before him. The night has turned dark, and a shadow flashed over the end of the dark alley.


Jesse: Who is it!?


It's quiet everywhere. Jesse turned around to look at the window that has brightened up by the girl, and chased after that shadow quickly.


The crow flaps its wings as it flies low, the corner filled with algae is completely shrouded under the pale moonlight. Jesse stopped his footsteps, there's black-colored blood that tainted his shoe.


But he didn't mind it. His gaze locked to the silhouette kneeling with both knees that is sincerely praying towards the moon.



Jesse: Who are you?


That person slowly turned around. It's a girl that looked like she's about 10 years old, looking very petite.


Black colored hair covered her face. She lifted a white candle in her hand, stuffed it into her mouth and chewed it. Two metal bracelets jingles around her wrist.


Jesse: Soul is already drawn away--


The moonlight is getting brighter, an unnoticeable black dot appeared before the girl all of a sudden, and the air starts to linger with a rotting, burning smell.


Seeing the girl just about to bite her tongue off, a hemp rope immediately flown out from his hand and bind the girl.


The white candle fell onto the floor. Jesse put up two fingers, picked up a talisman and pointed it towards the girl. With a shredding sound, the talisman turned into ashes in the air.


Chapter 8-19 is now up! Read it here~


Meanwhile, feel free to check out other translations for Light and Night here!


Translates on an irregular basis, works on short bursts of energy, suffering in muscle spasms. Travelled from north to south of Japan but would go back again and again. Also a polyglot.