Light and Night Main Story Chapter 8-14: Belated Midsummer (迟来的盛夏) | 光与夜之恋 主线剧情第八章(英译)

11/04/2021 11:19:00 PM 0 Comments A+ a-

 

Previously from Chapter 8-12 (read here)...



??: That is her unknown little habit that she has whenever she's drawing.


Who is he-- How does he know?


The youth stood properly by my side, carrying an aura of affirmation and reassurance.


Cheng Ke: Jesse?


You: ?


He is Jesse?


.

.

.




He's Jesse? But wasn't the youth spending time with me that day--


I stunned as I looked into that clean face, and my heart thumped heavily. Yes, it's that pair of eyes, they are still stubborn and bright.



Jesse: Y/N's design has a unique point that nobody else knows, she likes to change stars into four-pointed ones. You can compare it her previous design drafts, with only a single glance you'll know who's copying who.


But this is a little secret between granny and I, there shouldn't be anyone else who would--


I stunned, I feel that I'm really an idiot.


There's one more person who knows about it too. That person that I almost forgot in time.


I looked towards him in disbelief, it feels like it's a misperception where this is a hide-and-seek game that lasted for seven years.


At that instant, it feels like the time is rewinding at high speeds just like the movie scenes, and each frame is filled with memories that were imprinted deeply in my mind.



13-year-old him: What kind of adult do you think we will become? I really wish to travel to the future to have a look.


11-year-old him: For the sake of you tuition me on languages, I'll reluctantly enroll into the same middle school with you and teach you math!



8-year-old him: I want to be someone great in the future! Those who are great will be very rich, I'll be able to afford everything you wanted to eat!


7-year-old you: Hey, why are you squatting on the grounds with mud on your face?


5-year-old him: *sobbing* They- they threw mud at me. They called me a fatty, and said fatties are the most useless...


7-year-old you: It's okay, don't be afraid, I'll wipe it off for you. Follow me from now on, I'll protect you! Don't cry anymore, men can't cry.


5-year-old him: *sobbing* huhuhu... okay... 


7-year-old you: What's your name?


5-year-old him: I'm Jesse. J-E-S-S-E, J for Joy, E for Extraordinary, S for Summer, another S for Stars, and another E for Expression-- [1]


7-year-old you: It's hard to remember, how about I call you Starry?


5-year-old him: Sounds like an name for animals. 


7-year-old you: Then how about Cece?


5-year-old him: The neighboring uncle is called Cece.


7-year-old you: Um, then I'll call you Tangyuan then! You look like tangyuan.*


*T/N: Chinese glutinous rice balls. Usually with sweet filling. I'll also talk more about [1] at the notes at the bottom of this post because honestly I have no idea how to translate this part.


5-year-old him: Okay, tangyuans are very tasty.


7-year-old you: Then let's make a pinky promise, and be friends forever.



The time lapsed again, and returned to the current moment. I felt like there's a gust of wind stopped at the past now gushing between us, and dispersed all of the gaps we had over these years.


You: Tang--


I smiled as I opened my mouth, being incapable of holding back from calling his name. But just when I only let a single word out, my mouth is already covered by him.


The calm-looking youth earlier is completely flustered, and looked at me with puppy eyes.


Right now, Wu You's is now looking completely pale.



You: I have no interest to play games like this with you. This is a competition, so it has its rules. I can bear to lose, I can also bear to win. I accept a fair and square competition, but I will refuse any dirty tactics. There are so many designers including your sister fighting hard to create better works. This is the true meaning in designing. I'm done explaining myself, I believe everyone here has already already made your own judgment.


I held Tangyuan's hand, turned around and left. There's something more important for me to do now.


Feeling the warmth from the palm, the youth's expressions changed from surprise to joy.



Jesse: Let's go.



Leading him to somewhere that nobody can disturb us, I suddenly felt a little at loss of words.


What should I say now? Chit-chats? Will that be too polite?


But we have not been seeing each other for so many years, so it'd be awkward to talk about other things.


He seemed to also have realized this point, looking at me with a silly face, unsure of what to do.


You: Uh, Jesse, it's been a while.


Jesse startled for a moment, and burst out in laughter.



Jesse: Who are you? Why are you calling my name? Hurry and return that fiery girl back to me.


He extended an arm to pinch my cheek, even his gaze is just as naughty as he was back then.



You: Stinky Tangyuan, you're the fierce one, I have yet to even ask you on why--


Before I can finish my sentence, I'm already pulled into an embrace. It's so warm, and it smells like sunlight. It's till such an extent where the latter half of my sentence have all melted in his chest.


Jesse: Did you know? I have not been hearing the name "Tangyuan" for a very very long time...


He tightened his embrace, and buried his head by my neck.


You: Tangyuan...


Jesse: Mm.


You: Tangyuan Tangyuan Tangyuan!



Jesse: I'm here.


Jesse: Let me ask you something. Did she bully you just now? It's all my fault, I've arrived too late, that I've allowed you to be troubled by her for so long.


His nasal voice is soft and gentle, just like a cup of warm milk, slowly flowing into my heart.


You: Why are you only asking me about this?



Jesse: What else should I ask otherwise? There's nothing more important than knowing if you were bullied or not.


You: I'm fine, thank you.


I didn't expect for him to be shocked, and he hasn't stopped blinking.



Jesse: Y/N, did you become stupid? You actually thanked me?


You: ?



Jesse: Aren't you going to give me a left uppercut, then ask me where the hell I've been to throughout all these years--?


I pretended to be angry with arms akimbo.


You (pouty): Why on earth would I ask you where the hell you've been to? Didn't we only knew each other two days ago?



Jesse: What two days ago?! We've known each other for 15 years and 9 months!!


You: But why did I remember that there was a certain someone insisting to only talk to me after wear a strawberry headgear on that day?



Jesse: I-- I'm afraid that you won't care about me if you recognized me. I originally intended to meet you again in a formal setting.


You: Then why did you ran over angrily just now?



Jesse: They are bullying you in front of my eyes, how can I stand that?! 


[Choice] Jesse: Don't be angry anymore, alright?



Light: Forgive him

Night: Think about it



[Light Choice: Forgive him]


He leaned closer to me, and no matter which direction I looked to, he'll face my eyes right away.


Facing this pair of clean eyes, I really can't have any temper on him anymore, as if everything in the past has been written off.


You: Shouldn't you be apologizing to me before I forgive you?


Jesse: I'm sorry I'm sorry I'm sorry I'm sorry I'm sorry--


He spoke endlessly, it's almost like if I don't ask him to stop, he can keep going on until nighttime.


You: Alright, I forgive you.




[Night: Think about it]



You: Then I'll think about it after seeing your performance~


So I saw him immediately nodding his head repetitively, and busily massaged my shoulders.


Jesse: How's it, missy?


You: Mm, not bad.


Jesse: Then how's your consideration?


You: This part over my left shoulder is a little sore.


He immediately added some strength.


You: This masseuse has pretty good skills huh.



Jesse: With a five-star review and your forgiveness, I'll give you a lifetime membership card!


You: Since you've worked this hard, I'll register for it.


A bear hug suddenly pounced towards me.


Jesse: That's great, since you've registered for my membership card, you aren't allowed to be angry at me anymore.


You: What sort of condition is that? You big shameless idiot.



I really have forgotten, were his hugs this warm back in our childhood too?


But right now, the embrace within this pair of arms are filled with powers of reassurance.


There are so much that I wanted to ask him. I wanted to know... Did he live well? Why didn't he even gave me a single call?


Also, why did he have to leave me without saying goodbye?


But right at the moment I opened my mouth, I swallowed all my words back.


He said it before, there was a reason for him to be unable to see me. Then I'll ask in the future, since we're now reunited, there's still a lot of time ahead for us.


You: Okay okay, you can let go now.


Jesse: Wait a little more. We haven't seen each other for seven years, shouldn't you at least let me redeem what I've missed? Let's consider one hug for each year, so that would be 7 hugs, and each hug will be 5 seconds, so it'll be a total of 35 seconds!


He actually calculated so seriously.



??: Ahem ahem.


Sounds of cough could be heard from behind. I can feel Jesse's body stiffened, and he let go of me very unwillingly.



You (flustered): Jiang Lai?


Jiang Lai looked at me awkwardly, and dragged Gao Cheng who was hiding behind her out.



Gao Cheng: We didn't intend to interrupt the two of you...


Jiang Lai: We're here to tell you, the producer decided to use your design.


You: Really? That's great!


Jiang Lai: Your performance just now isn't bad. I've decided to make peace with you. It's rare for me to acknowledge other people.


You: Thank you.



Jiang Lai: Then we'll be leaving.


Just right after she turned around, Gao Cheng have lightly tugged her sleeve.


Gao Cheng: Are you leaving already? Aren't you going to tell Y/N that we are cooperating together? Didn't you say that if we don't cooperate, it's hard to report to the company--


Jiang Lai: You talk too much!


Jiang Lai angrily pointed Gao Cheng's nose with a finger, but was so embarrassed that she can't utter anything further, looking completely flustered.



You: Let's work together.


Jiang Lai: ?


You: The workload is so huge, what happens if I can't make it to the deadline? Can you bear to let me shoulder everything?


Jiang Lai: We- Well then. I'll tell you this, I agreed to it because this is an assignment from the company. I'm doing this just in case the three of us are penalized on performance if you can't finish it on time.


You: Okay, then I'll thank you in advance. See you in the office tomorrow at 8.


Jiang Lai nodded, dragging Gao Cheng and left with her chin up.



Jesse: What are you still looking at? They have already left, and the one you're supposed to look at is right here. How about I send you home? Just like how we did during middle school.


You: It's clear that I was the one bringing you home alright? Sending you to your mother's hand safely. You brat.


I habitually lifted an arm wanting to ruffle his hair, but soon realized that he has already grown a lot taller, and I can only reach it after tiptoeing.


Jesse: Don't you dare to call me a brat!


You: Well it can't be helped that I'm two years older than you after all.



Jesse: But I'm already taller than you!


The youth drooped his gaze at me, showing a dazzling smile.


Jesse: Let's go, time to go home~




Chapter 8-17 is now up and can be read here!


p/s: I have injured both of my arms so my updates will be slowed down compared to usual pace.


Meanwhile, feel free to check out other translations for Light and Night here!




-- Notes --


Okay hihi thank you for reading! So uhm about this part I honestly had no idea how to translate it to English properly but if I translated directly into Chinese it loses the context so I'll try to actually explain what on earth is going on during the time MC met Jesse for the first time because I'm really bad at translating :')






If I were to translate it completely word to word, it'll turn out to be:


7-year-old you: What's your name?


5-year-old him: I'm Xia MingXing (夏鸣星), Xia (夏) for Summer, Ming (鸣) for "Startling the World with a Single Cry"*, Xing (星) for Stars--


*Note: 一鸣惊人 is sort of translated to "Startling the World with a Single Cry", it's an idiom that came from the story of a bird that has been ordinary and quiet but would amaze/ shock the world once it cries. 


7-year-old you: Your name is so hard to remember, how about I call you XingXing (星星)?


5-year-old him: Sounds like a monkey's relative*.


*Note: Chimpanzees are also called XingXing, but in a different writing (猩猩).


7-year-old you: Then how about MingMing (鸣鸣)?


5-year-old him: The neighboring uncle is called MingMing.


*Note: For this part, because his English name is Jesse, I just simply picked a name Cece because it sounds like the 'sse' part of Jesse but doubled. No other reasons.




I hope the above gives an understanding about why the translation might sound a little... weird. Because Jesse was trying to spell his name in a way like how we'd usually spell out our e-mail addresses with country names, but once the idioms are translated into English it has nothing to do with the letter even if I use the Chinese Pinyin name or the English name because of my lack of vocabulary ;-;

Also I'm not a professional translator and I'm still struggling to decide if I want to fix everyone's name as Chinese or if I should use their English names in my translations, but there are many elements throughout the game including inside jokes that I am unable to translate directly... Please feel free to contact me via Twitter DMs if you have a better idea to word things, I'm more than happy to learn!


Also another unrelated note: I injured both of my arms due to muscle overuse so I will slow down on translation updates but I promise to get back to it when I can since I'm translating for both Tears of Themis cards and Light and Night on YouTube too. I hope for your patience and understanding, and thank you for always staying through with me!



Translates on an irregular basis, works on short bursts of energy, suffering in muscle spasms. Travelled from north to south of Japan but would go back again and again. Also a polyglot.