Main Story Chapter 12-26: Savage Game (蛮荒游戏) | Light and Night 光与夜之恋

6/01/2022 11:00:00 PM 0 Comments A+ a-

 

Before reading this chapter, please read the previous chapter here.

.

.

.

.



The rain lasted for two days.


Right when I was extremely worried that the release show will be organized in the rain, it has finally stopped.


This outdoor release show that has been through an adverse fortune is finally welcome its first good omen.


The outfits are all delivered towards the show venue, but instead of letting out a sigh in relief, everyone in the office are becoming even more nervous.


Because Sariel made a last minute request for the members of the design team to be a part of the models.



Li Manman: Mao Ge, are you okay? Why are you still so flustered?


Mao Ge: I'm fine, I'm fine, let me cool down a little.


Mao Ge almost fainted when Sariel made the announcement, we all thought he was shocked, but he woke up in happy tears.



Mao Ge: I've been hustling in Guang Qi for so long, I can finally let my parents see me on the TV!


Hao Shuai: It's not just that they'll see you, there are five sets! A full five sets of mens wear! Why didn't I get that?


You: But you're fully in charge of the round two opening, you've got to wing this, Hao Shuai!



Hao Shuai: It's impossible for me to not wing this, Director's Qi's arrangement this time is what I'd call him for having the discerning eye!


Zheng Lin: Y/N, aren't you going on the stage?



You: I'll pass this round.




I was the one to proactively volunteered to work at the backstage, and Sariel took a glance at me at my proposal back then.



Sariel: Aren't you usually the most proactive one?


You: Because there's something more important that I wanted to do.



As how things have progressed, this release show is no longer a way to answer to the public, and it's also not something that is completely done for the company.


At least, for me, I wanted to show the true charms of Pristine, and allow everyone to see it.



It's just that I've still underestimated the effects of false news, the live venue of the release show is much quieter than I've imagined.


But thankfully, everyone are preparing for the stage, and their moods aren't affected.


Sariel and I stood at the backstage, helping the models with their final checks.


Manman's zipper, Hao Shuai's heel, Mao Ge's button, I'm running among the crowd's requests, but I still feel oddly satisfied.



Woman in Red*: Designer, is this okay?


*The lady we went to her place with Sariel to invite her to model for Pristine.


The gentle voice sounded, I saw the woman standing before me, like someone who has received a new life.


She used a bionic prosthesis, and the pants are, just as expected, her favorite bell-bottomed pants with a design with an irregular opening, showing the artistic writings on her calf--


Her name, and Pristine.


I nodded hard.


You: So beautiful, it's very perfect!


She smiled at me, and turned around to the standby passageway. I've been looking at her silhouette from behind. Each step she took are stable, beautiful and elegant.


 


Under the dazzling lights, the release show has begun.


At the start of the loop-shaped catwalk stage, Jiang Lai is donned in a minidress, and poked my arm.


Jiang Lai: I'm just asking, were you nervous when you were on the stage?


I watched her putting on a calm front, so I held her hand, then massaged her shoulders.


You: Don't walk too quickly, and don't look around*, press your heels when you turn, and that will do. This is a secret that someone taught me when I was on the stage back then.


*Reference from Ch. 5-23, and MC is referring to Warson Grand Show.


Jiang Lai: I'll trust you on that.


She muttered these words, lifted her chin up, and stepped into the dazzling stage.


A soft chuckle is heard from behind. I turned around to find Sariel standing there.



Sariel: So this is the "something more important that you wanted to do"?


You: Yeah!


Even until now, I still remember that warm hand pressing on my trembling shoulders back then.


What exactly does it mean to be a designer?


Ten years ago, the name shining on magazines and televisions has given me my first answer.


Now, the person who's now standing by my side, this person who is stronger and working harder than anyone else, but have also shouldered a lot more than anyone else, has given me the most important answer.


You: So how did I do? This important thing.


Sariel: Not bad.


You: Is it just "not bad"?


He paised, seemingly wanting to raise an arm to pat my head, but ended up only leaving a clear flick on my head with two fingers.



Sariel: Well done.


It's then the turns for Mao Ge, Man Man, Hao Shuai, and the many models that I am, and am not acquainted to.


Even though I'm already very familiar with how the clothes I've design looked, but right now, they all seem so different.


Because some is now carrying them.


You: Director Qi, have you thought of what to say when you're going up the stage as the head designer later? It has got to be at least a little grand to be complement this show filled with adverse fortune.



Sariel: This is a fashion show, not some sort of presidential stage. Are you looking forward to see me making a speech?


You: Well, it's not like I'm against it too?


Sariel: Then tell me what I should say.


There's no way to tell if Sariel is joking or being serious. I looked left and right, but I couldn't find any trickeries from this serious-looking face.


You: Ahem ahem, then I'll give it a try.


I imitated his usual calm and cold voice.


You: First, you have to say "I'm the head designer of Pristine, Sariel".



Sariel: .......


You: Don't laugh at me alright... also stuff like thank you everyone for watching the show. Then an introduction to the new products of Pristine this season, and its sales date. Then it's the theme and unique points of this season.


As I spoke, I started to feel a little lost. I paused, then looked up, and looked into Sariel's eyes.


You: It doesn't seem like that's needed either. Actually, you just had to say those things that you've been telling me.


The relation between design and people. The relation between design and the world. The calmness and passion of designers.


All of these, should be heard by those who have doubted Pristine and Sariel.



Sariel: Come on.


You: Huh? Where to?


Sariel: The stage.


You: Am I going too? But I'm not--



Sariel: Yes.


Sariel answered very quickly, and very firmly.


Applauses thundered from the outside, not ending even after time has passed.


I secretly looked towards the audience, and I saw the admiration and immersed expressions from everyone. Everything that has happened throughout these while became well-worthy.


At the end of every winter, lies the blossoming spring.



When the ending music sounded, the show is about to end.


Following behind Sariel, walking through the long and squeezing passageway. Different from before, every member of the design team are on the stage. I held the hand of the model beside me, and bowed deeply to the audience.


It's too bright. The faces among the audience are so blurry. I can only see the tall figure standing in front.


Lights all gathered on Sariel, that his hair and ears are almost becoming transparent. Everyone became quiet.


How is Sariel like in their eyes?



Sariel: Regarding Pristine, there's nothing much I have to say anymore. Design will prove everything.


Sariel paused for a moment. A sliver of clear, faint breath is audible from the speaker. He turned around.



Sariel: Thank you for every team member in the venue for your long-term efforts. It's a pleasure... to work with you.


I have never seen a smile like this from him.


I could hear soft sobs beside me. There are a few models and designers tearing up.


Sariel's gaze stopped on my face. I can't understand the emotions within, only to feel that the patch of gold from his gaze became so faint under the strong lights, it feels like it's about to shatter with just a light touch.


He extended an arm towards me. Is he asking me to walk towards him? I took a few steps, as if I'm wandering.


Then, I saw tiny droplets of sweat spreading all over his forehead.


The applause and bustling noises all seemed empty and distant now, and it's the same for the screams of exclaims that followed right after.



You: Sariel!



.
.
.
.
.


NIGHT END will be updated when it's ready!

Alternatively, please feel free to check out other translations for Light and Night here!


If you'd like to support my translations, feel free to contact me for commissions or buy me a ko-fi here!


Until next update! :)





Translates on an irregular basis, works on short bursts of energy, suffering in muscle spasms. Travelled from north to south of Japan but would go back again and again. Also a polyglot.