Main Story Chapter 12-24: Savage Game (蛮荒游戏) | Light and Night 光与夜之恋

6/01/2022 01:14:00 AM 0 Comments A+ a-

  

Before reading this chapter, please read the previous chapter here.

.

.

.

.



It's only a few days left until the release show, and it's now pouring in Guang Qi city again.


Mao Ge and Man Man grouped together for a fortune reading to see if this rain is a sign of good premonition. When I walked past them, I saw a table full of oddly-shaped props.



We'll be in a difficult war zone in a few more days so I no longer chose to work overtime. By the time I walked to the office entrance, I have instead saw a tall figure.


A long, black umbrella, and black trenchcoat, he looks like he's almost blending into the dark night.



You: Evan...


Ever since we parted last time, it has been a very long time we see each other personally.


That nightmare has been remaining in my mind, and I find myself becoming somewhat incapable of facing Evan. And he, seemed to have also understood this.


Evan turned around, his dark brown pupils are reflecting the wet and damp curtains of the rain.


Evan: It's been a while.


You: It's been a while. I heard that you were on a business trip?


Evan: Yeah, the matter is almost done.


You: CEO... Evan, are you planning to head home?


Evan: Are you going to the bus station? I'll give you a ride.


You: It's fine, I brought umbrella--


I reached an arm to my bag, wanting to take my umbrella out, but I couldn't, and I only managed to touch an empty plastic bag.


Oh right, it was raining in the morning too, and I left my umbrella to dry in the office.


Evan watched my actions, eyes curving into crescents.



Evan: Let's go.


You: Ah......


Evan: What's wrong?


I shook my head. With an expression like that, it feels like the Evan I'm familiar with has returned.



We stepped into the rain together, walking shoulder to shoulder in silence. The raindrops hits on the umbrella surface, letting out dull sounds.


It seems like it was also a rainy day when I last met Evan.


Evan: I remember that it was also a rainy day the last time we met.


You: I was just thinking about this, but you said it out, it's just like you can read my mind.


I suddenly recalled him telling me that he has a Talent.


You: Do you... know how to?


Evan: Of course I don't. Even the ability to look far away is not something I'd usually use.


You: Okay. But I still feel like you know...


Otherwise, how would you manage to guess my mind so accurately?


Evan only smiled, and turned away to look forward.


He's looking at a small trishaw, with a skinny old lady covered in a raincoat leaning by the trishaw, looking around her surroundings for something.


It's so late, and the weather is bad, why isn't the elderly headed home? Could her trishaw be stuck?


The rain poured even heavier during the few steps we took to the trishaw. The sounds of collision from above felt like the raindrops are going to hammer through the umbrella's surface.


Evan: Granny*, do you need any help?


*Not biological


The elderly wiped her face. Despite donned in a raincoat, her face is still full of rainwaters.


Florist Granny: No need, thank you.


You: The rain is so heavy, you should look for shelter somewhere.


Florist Granny: It's fine, I'll go home after selling it. There are many people in the bus station, so it sells well.



She pointed at the white plastic cover in the trishaw with words of "A Xin Fresh Flowers" written on it. The long, lush green leaves in the pot are not wet from the rain for the slightest bit because it was well protected.


Florist Granny: Girlie, young lad, you should both go home quick, the rain is too heavy.


She smiles as she waved at us.


Evan: What plant is this?


Florist Granny: It's spider plant. You can plant it whether it's winter or summer, I have a description written here, you'll understand with a single look.


*Chlorophytum comosum.


I took the piece of white paper from her. There are things like indoor temperature, watering frequency and trimming written on it.


Evan: Thank you very much, it's very detailed. How much is it? It's a coincidence that I lack a decorative plant in my office.


Florist Granny: 20. But it's already the last pot, so whoever takes it away has fate with it, so I'll just charge you 10.


You: Eh?


Evan is still holding the umbrella, so the elderly handed the plant to me, and patted the back of my hand with her warm and hoarse hand.


Florist Granny: Thank you both.


We stood under the eaves of the station as we watched her cycling away from us on her trishaw.


You: Life is indeed hard...


I muttered to myself, but I've heard a soft chuckle from Evan, who's standing beside me.


Evan: Looks like you have a lot of exclaims throughout this period.


You: Yeah... well you know about it too, the thing about Pristine.


Evan: But judging from your expressions, it seems like you're already holding victory in your hands.


You: We can only win, so I have to hold onto the belief to win as well. Speaking of this, I still have to thank you on behalf of everyone.


Evan: Why is that?


You: Because I knew you've done a lot for this release show.


Evan stayed quiet, expressions looking a little complicated.


You: Uh, it's not accurate for me to say that I knew about it. It's just...



Evan: Instincts, correct?


You: It's instinct.


There's someone supporting us in the company where the undercurrents are flowing. My instincts are telling me, Evan is that person.


It's just like how he have went against the majority to allow rookie designers to step on the stage of Warson Grand Show, Evan is someone who would do that.


Evan: What if I were to say that I've indeed stopped the decision to halt the brand, but it wasn't done for Pristine?


Some coldness suddenly surged from Evan's eyes.


I suddenly couldn't differentiate which was the real him - the one with a smile, or him right now. But--


You: It's fine even if that's the case. Pristine is able to continue releasing new products because of this, and this is what I am thankful for. People often can't even understand the reasons behind many of their actions, it'll be very tiring to think about it too deeply.


Evan: Can't even understand, huh.


You: Yeah, at times like this, I'll choose to believe in what I saw. So, I'd still like to thank you.


Evan looks at me quietly, or perhaps I should say, that I feel like he isn't looking at me, but looking at someone from the past, and a time that has past.


You: What are you thinking about?



Evan: I'm still thinking, that even without my help, you'd still do fine. So, I probably would never help you again in the future.


I stunned. This is my first time seeing Evan being so affirmative. He used to speak in euphemism, and he would leave room for others, but it's different now.


I nodded. No matter what I think, it's all unimportant anymore, he has already told me the results.


Evan: No need to be afraid, you'll walk into a better path.


Although we're still walking forward, but I suddenly feel like he has already stopped on a path that I can't see.


He has accompanied me throughout this journey, then left without looking back, and went back to the world he's from.


You: Would you be viewing the new release show for Pristine?


Evan shook his head.


Evan: I have other matters to attend to.


You: Is that so... what a pity. I really hoped you could come.


The rain became lesser, and it'd perhaps stop before the bus arrives.


The eaves are now enough for us to shelter from the rain. Evan kept the black umbrella, and I held the pot of plant to him.


You: Don't forget to bring this back later.


Evan: No need, it's still better to leave it with you.


Right, I've been to his office a few times, it's very simple over there, there aren't a single bit of greenery for decoration.


Evan doesn't seem to like these things, but he still said those words to the elderly woman.


You: I already have it at home.


I've also stuffed the pottery back into his arms affirmatively. Evan looked a little surprised, but still received it.


You: Evan, do you still remember that movie? The one we first watched in the coffee shop.


Evan: I do.


You: The male protagonist always carries a pot of plant too.


I examined him all over in a serious manner. The same trenchcoat, the same patch of green.


You: He looks just like you.


Evan lowers his head and examined himself, then lets out a soft chuckle.


Evan: Very alike indeed.


You: That man would place the plant by his window that has sunlight every day. He looks very happy whenever he waters the plant. When we have time, let's watch the ending together.


Evan: Okay.


The station announcement is heard, and the bus is stopped by my side. The rain has really stopped. Evan gently tugged my arm, bringing me to dodge the splashed mud waters from the tires.


[Choice]

Light: Bid farewell with Evan

Night: Stay a little longer with Evan




[Light Choice: Bid farewell with Evan]


You: I'll get going then.



Evan: Be careful.


He lets go of his hand, and the plant is still in his other arm. The drooping leaves gently brushes over my wrist.


Evan: Don't worry, the release show will be a success.


After saying so, he took a step backwards, and see me off as I boarded the bus.



I sat beside the window, and the bas slowly starts. I looked outside, but Evan is still standing there, seemingly spacing out.


Watching the lonely silhouette moving backwards so quickly, I suddenly had a thought, and waved at him.


And he startled for a moment, and responded to me.



[Night: Stay a little longer with Evan]


The bus door opens before me, then closed. The bus gradually disappeared into a turn at the street's corner.


Evan: Aren't you boarding the bus?


You: Yeah, I still wanted to stand a little longer. Since it has been a long time I've last met you.


Evan: Do you have anything that you wanted to say?


You: No more. But it feels nice to just stand a little longer like this. Am I taking up your time?


I looked at him in hesitation. But Evan only shook his head.



Evan: Not at all. This is what I wished for too.


Watching his well-defined side profile, I suddenly had a feeling of wanting to crack a joke.


You: Really? You don't look anywhere happy at all.


Evan stunned for a moment, and showed a tender expression.


Evan: What I said was heartfelt.





In the office of the highest floor in the hospital, a white mist gathered around the glass window. Nobody knows what is happening inside.


Dr. Li: Your body is degrading too much, it's much worse than Lao Zhong back then. I can't guarantee how long more this medicine can allow you to live.



Sariel: You only have to tell me an approximate time.


Dr. Li: A week minimum, and a month at its most. You shouldn't use your Talent anymore.



Sariel: It's already enough.


Sariel stood up, and is about to leave.


Dr. Li: Sariel, you should take the same stand as us. At least your life will be unharmed that way, and countless of our kind will be saved.


Sariel: You guys always call many kinds of results as being saved.


He nodded softly at Lao Li in gesture, and turned the doorknob.


Sariel: You've worked hard.


The ceiling lamp shuts down one after another, and the calm sounds of footsteps have drifted afar. The hidden door of the inner side of the office is quietly opened.


Clang-- A giant shackle drags across the floor. An old voice sounded.



???: I didn't expect his Talent to be so weak to the extents he couldn't sense my presence anymore. 


Lao Li shows a complexed expression, eyes slightly reddened.


Dr. Li: Elder, why exactly are we collaborating with the Strains, and provide the past design drafts for them? And even changing the medicine to the medicine that accelerates degeneration? He... he became like this in order to save the Erdas back then. Without him, none of us could live.


Erda Elder: But he's no longer caring about the Erdas, and he wants to linger in the human's world until its end. His Talent is just being sealed. As an elder of the Erdas, I am shouldering the duty to let Erdas to keep living. I originally intended force him to return to the Erdas and be of our use through the Strains. But for those humans, how dare he...


Whenever speaking about humans, this voice would pause, and it's difficult for him to conceal the feelings of hatred and disgust.


Erda Elder: Since that's the case, we can't let him become a threat to us.


Dr. Li: You have already wiped off the memories of his encounter with that human girl, you almost made that girl die to a high fever. If he didn't find out about it, they would've never met now.


Erda Elder: I still couldn't manage to stop it in the end, it's my dereliction of duty. So I have to do this now, and cut off the future completely. As long as that future remains, the past will happen once again.


Dr. Li: But you shouldn't use this method, you should look for a method that won't harm any party.


Erda Elder: That's impossible, have you not understood it after living for so long? As long as we have an aim in what we do, there will definitely someone that will be hurt. One day, you'll realize that kindness and righteousness will not win over everything, and morals are merely shackles to bind the good.


Lao Li opened his mouth, wanting to say something, but the loud sounds of friction from the chains almost pierced through his eardrums.


Erda Elder: For the continuation of our kind, this is the only thing we can do.


It's pouring outside the window. Lightning splits the darkness, and strikes towards the mortal world.




.
.
.
.
.




Alternatively, please
 feel free to check out other translations for Light and Night here!


If you'd like to support my translations, feel free to contact me for commissions or buy me a ko-fi here!


Until next update! :)




Translates on an irregular basis, works on short bursts of energy, suffering in muscle spasms. Travelled from north to south of Japan but would go back again and again. Also a polyglot.