Main Story Chapter 10-18: Ward No.6 (六号病房) | Light and Night 光与夜之恋

1/17/2022 09:08:00 PM 0 Comments A+ a-

 

Before reading this chapter, please check Chapter 10-15 over here

.

.



Entering the ward, the lights are dimmed, and the atmosphere plummeted into a depressed one.


The patients here are not watched by their family members, and most of them don't even have a clear consciousness.


It's very quiet here, so quiet that it didn't feel like I'm in the mortal world at all, yet it's also very noisy, with the sharp sounds from various devices piercing through the whole area. Beep, beep beep, each sound felt like they have knocked into the deepest parts of the soul.


Each hospital bed are isolated by glass and curtains in a ring shape facing the nurse station. Charlie stopped before a bed, and pulled the glass door open.


A smell that I have never smelled before wafted towards me. Before I can even identify the type of smell, the scene on the hospital bed has already entered my eyes.


That is a figure, with large patches of black, burnt skin shown, limbs all bound to the bedside by restrainers, with tubes fully plugged--


My legs suddenly became weak, and I can only quickly squat down and allow my gaze to concentrate on a small part of the blanket.


You: I'll start now.


After finding a patch of still somewhat-considered normal skin on the back of the elderly woman's hand, I gently placed my finger on it.


You: Granny, you must've been in great pain, right? But your family are waiting for you out there...


What would she be thinking? There's only pitch black in my mind. I bit my lower lip.


You: I've got to focus.


But the more I think this way, my thoughts will get even more uncontrollable, and became a puddle of endless chaos.


You: ........


How long did it pass? Did 15 minutes pass? Or has half an hour passed?


My eyelids seemed to have gotten its own consciousness that it opened subconsciously. In an instant, the scene of the hospital bed entered my eyes once again.


You: Why didn't it work?!


A hand pressed on my shoulder. I can feel my body tremble. This hand didn't move, only pressing stably, giving a reassuring strength.


[Choice]



Light: Tell him your ability might be ineffective

Night: Try again



Light Choice: Tell him your ability might be ineffective


You: Charlie, what happens if my ability is unable to work? No, not if...


I spoke in a soft voice, I can feel my cheeks burning and swelling. Shame, regret, anxiousness, panic, all these feelings mixed together.


The machine by the bedside still sounded inorganically, and under those sounds, I can only feel a life is slowly being seeped away.


Charlie: Then we'll be leaving this place.


You: What happens after we leave?


Charlie: I'll handle this matter, you can wait for me in the office. As long as she's here, it's my responsibility to keep her alive.


You :What happens next?


Charlie: Do you still have to ask this? Of course I'll complete handling them, and send my fiancée home.




Night Choice: Try again


I know my "talent" isn't considered something that has stabilized, but at least, for this once, please let me succeed.


I don't even know who I'm praying to, and used all my might to feel.


Yet the feeling where emotions flow into my body did not arrive.


With my heart filled with defeat and fear, I stayed silent, only hearing my heart gradually beating messily.


Charlie: Turn around.


I turned around and met his gaze right away. The deep violet eyes only met with mine for a short moment. Charlie then nodded.


Charlie: It's alright now.


I stunned for a second, then recalled the words he said before entering this room.



In an instant, I'm uncertain if I wanted to cry or to laugh, I only feel my nose a little sore. I closed my eyes again, no longer suppressing my thoughts, but have instead recalled many things.


Yangyang's crying voice, the woman's lifelessness, the man's hesitation, and Charlie who stood among the crowd holding that white paper that required his signature.


A sliver of light broke through the chaos, as if there's something grabbing onto my wrist. That is a withered hand, although it's trembling in pain, but it's still delivering a very clear message.


I looked up, stunned, feelings of apology gushed towards me like the tides.



???: Yangyang, granny have let you down, I have already promised your dad to stop being an exorcist. But when I saw the possessed boy, granny thought of you. My body suddenly burned with no reason, so I told him to run quickly. When I walked until the entrance, I remembered that your favorite toy is still in there, if it's gone, you'll be sad. Granny has spent my whole life as an exorcist, and half my life as your dad's mother, but I haven't spent enough time as Yangyang's granny--


This is my first time feeling such a clear heartfelt wish. I trembled as I let go of my hand, tears quietly overflowing across my face.



You: Thank you, I understood now.



After leaving the ward, I took off the isolation attire. I suddenly feel nauseous, and pounced towards the trash can and retched. 


Some time later, I've finally stopped vomiting, and sat on the chair to catch my breath.


A box of tissue is handed towards me.


Looking up, Charlie's face appeared in my blurry sight.


You: Have you been watching from the side...?



Charlie: It's fine, that is some skillful vomiting skills you got there. 


He pulled a tissue out, and patted around my eyes.


Charlie: Can you stand up?


I gave it a try, but only to feel the strength from my entire body drained out completely, so I shook my head.


You: I'll sit here myself, it'll probably be fine after some time. The granny still has a will to live, hurry and tell--


Halfway talking, my words have stuck by my lips.


You: But will the family believe in it?


Charlie looked at me for a while, held my hand, then opened his palm.


I didn't even feel like moving for a single bit, so I can only look at him placing my fingertip on it.


Charlie: Did you manage feel anything?


What does he mean? Is he asking me to feel his emotions?


Surprisingly, the feeling this time was quick and went smoothly, I didn't even close my eyes.


Every corner of my body felt warmth, like the warm winter sun.


You: I felt... gratitude.


Charlie smiled. I rarely saw him showing such a pure and warm smile, and was in a trance for a moment.


He lowered his body, and leaned close to my ear.



Charlie: As expected of my fiancée.


The hem of the white coat disappeared at the end of the corridor. I touched my cheeks, and it felt a little hot.


 rested for a while, despite still feeling a little powerless, but I am really too worried about the situation over there, so I still stood up and walked towards the inpatient department.



The spectating family members have already left, the entrance of the inpatient department is completely quiet.


You: Could the patient's family agreed to continue with treatment?


After taking a turn at the corner, the scene before my eyes are not what I have imagined.


Charlie stood there, gaze cold, not saying a word. Yangyang's family are also there, and sat together in a row.


There are two more person, both also wearing a white coat. One of them looked like he's in his 40s, wearing glasses, looking expressionless.


Another one looked even more senior from his appearance, but he's smiley, looking at Charlie for a moment, then looked at the other person donned in white coat in another moment.



???: Why are there irrelevant person here? Where's the nurse? Bring her away.


I quickly stopped my steps, but Charlie has stride towards my side, holding my shoulder, and brought be to the others.



Charlie: To avoid the situation where you won't know how to address her when you need to thank her, this is my fiancée Y/N, it's with her help that I could understand the patient's true wills.


The doctor in spectacles threw a cold glance towards me. Only then I have finally seen clearly, the nameplate on his chest writes "Chief Physician -- Sun TaiZhong" .


Chief Sun: Dr. Zha, since the patient's family have expressed thoughts of giving up on treatment, you should respect their wishes, and not be stubbornly unwilling to take in other's opinion and ignore the wills of family members. There are rules in the hospital that you should follow.


Charlie: That is provided they have fully understood the patient's own will.


Chief Sun: But nobody can confirm that THAT is the patient's will. I do not think there is a need to continue discussing on this matter.


His cold gaze brushed past me. The thing I worried the most has happened, this chief does not believe in Charlie, then would the family members too--


Charlie: So as long as she doesn't speak "I want to live" from her own lips, anyone can only watch her waiting for death, is that correct?


Chief Sun: Dr. Zha, are you judging my morality right now? I have already designed the most suitable treatment proposal in the past.



Charlie: When the infection index rises, you injected larger amounts of antibiotics, when she can't breathe, you just intubate her. This is every part of your treatment plan. If she dies by accident, that's her problem, and if she lives, that only proves your excellence in medical skills. It's even the best for the family members could bring her home, so the death rates in your report will drop a few more percent. 


Chief Sun: Dr. Zha, you have to get this clear. Doctors aren't gods, and they aren't saviors. What we can do now is to do our best reasonably.


Hearing this, the other senior-looking doctor finally can't stand it as he approached us. His nameplate writes the same "burns department". He patted Charlie's shoulder, and lowered his voice.



Old Doctor: Dr. Zha, we all understand that you wish to rescue lives. But the relationship between the medic and patient is so tense, there's a need to avoid conflict between medic and patient, Chief Sun has great amount of stress too. Also, I have looked at the treatment proposal you've set, the operation is very complicated. What if it failed and the family can't accept the outcome? Your reputation for the entire life might be ruined.


He then looked at Chief Sun, his smile almost looked like he's trying to please the other.


Old Doctor: Chief Sun, Dr. Zha just arrived GuangQi, he's still not too familiar with our hospital's situation. Please accept my apologies on behalf of him. But Dr. Zha is a talent hired by the vice-chancellor after all.


Chief Sun nodded, his expressions seemed to have alleviated a little.


Chief Sun: Dr. Zha, regarding your arrival, our hospital has always been anticipating it. I hope you can lead the burns department to achieve double breakthrough in clinical and research, and try our best to give you our greatest support. So in contrary, I hope you can have reasonable consumption on the department's medical resources too, Dr. Zha. don't disappoint the hospital leaders' anticipations, and take more consideration towards discussions and impacts.


His voice is lower than earlier, that Yangyang's family can no longer hear a thing, only to look towards this direction in a blur.


My gaze contacted theirs, these words where each word sounded very logical suddenly sounded very hurtful.


Charlie looked at Chief Sun, a mocking smile slowly surfaced from the corners of his lips.



Charlie: I have completely understood what you meant. Your thoughtfulness is so well-rounded, that you can take up any role, whether as a social critic, politician, or a venture capitalist. But as a doctor, I hope you can get as far away from the patients as possible. You can all leave, there are still things I have to tell the patient's family.


Chief Sun's eyes gleamed.


Chief Sun: Dr. Zha, you are the person that experienced the medical incident of Dr. Esino*, logically I shouldn't be the one saying this. But this is my sincere recommendation, you are talented, don't follow your mentor's mistake. 


*T/N: Charlie's medical mentor. Read about the incident here if you'd like to, and if and only if you're OK with the trigger warnings listed.


Charlie's expressions changed, but only for a brief instant, and very quickly returned normal.


Charlie: My teacher only made a single mistake, and that is to lose her judgment as a doctor.


Charlie walked towards Yangyang's father, and handed a brand new paper for consent on refusal of treatment to him.


Charlie: I will explain all of the current situation to you, you have to listen properly, then make your decision.


Yangyang's father nodded heavily.



Charlie: With the usage of the new treatment proposal, your mother's survival rate will be increased by 20%. There is a risk for it to fail, so I will try my best to not allow this situation to happen. The treatment process may cause great suffering, this is unavoidable. I will also keep my promise regarding the fees, and I will pay off any remaining balance that you have yet to pay off. Look for me in my office once you've made your decision.


He took a pause.


Charlie: As a doctor, I wanted to let her regain consciousness more than anyone else.


He turned around and left after finishing his words. The person who clenched onto the paper became Yangyang's father. I turned around and gave him a last glance, then walked out too.






Alternatively, feel free to check out other translations for Light and Night here!


If you'd like to support my translations, feel free to contact me for commissions or buy me a ko-fi here!


Until next update! :)


Translates on an irregular basis, works on short bursts of energy, suffering in muscle spasms. Travelled from north to south of Japan but would go back again and again. Also a polyglot.