Main Story Chapter 10-20: Ward No.6 (六号病房) | Light and Night 光与夜之恋

4/03/2022 01:51:00 AM 0 Comments A+ a-


Before reading this chapter, please check Chapter 10-18 over here

.

.



Upon returning to Charlie's office, that only then I realized the skies outside the windows are now shrouded in deep colors of the night.


On my way here, the argument between Charlie and Chief Sun filled my mind. It seems like his job in the hospital is not smooth sailing as I have imagined.


Also, what's with the case regarding medical incident with his teacher?


While Charlie's attention is taken away by the document placed on his desk, I switched on my phone, and entered the keywords "Esino medical incident".


The Esino medical incident, as described on the internet, is about a doctor named Esino accepting a patient with necrotizing fasciitis named Emma.


Emma's life was in a critical state, that the operation almost amputated half of her body in order to keep her alive.


But the price in return, is to have the 17-year-old girl completely paralyzed, losing her normal life and her ability to communicate.


Half a year after the incident, Emma's parents and herself was found to have committed suicide, and the cause was-- at least, that's what was according to their will-- The huge sum of debt from treatment and the paralyzed Emma was causing them burden.


Emma's aunt sued Dr. Esino, because the will mentioned that the doctor "persuaded" them to accept treatment when they originally planned to give up on Emma.


Of course, this was an invalid lawsuit, but Dr. Esino was still detained for a moment, and was even publicly discussed and condemned.



You: Is Dr. Esino Charlie's mentor?


I feel emotionally complicated.


With an overly similar scenario and an uncertain result, the hospital was badly criticized, that it only improved slightly after Dr. Esino resigned.


When she resigned, Dr. Esino expressed that she will no longer practice medicine for the rest of her life, and there was no news from her ever since.



Charlie: Why don't you ask me about Dr. Esino's medical incident?


A voice interrupted my train of thoughts. Charlie has finished reading the document before I noticed it, now sitting on the rotating chair, turning towards me, then turning away again.


You: What? 



Charlie: You are definitely completely worrying about me right now, and you can't wait to get to know what happened to me in the past.


Although it sounded a little exaggerating, but this time, there's no way for me to refute him.


You: I'm indeed a little worried-- So I searched for it on the phone.


Charlie: Why don't you ask me directly then?


You: I was thinking... that it might be possible for you to be unwilling to bring up this matter.


Charlie stunned for a moment, but very quickly showed a smile.


Charlie: Fiancee, I didn't expect you to be so thoughtful for me. But if there's something that you're worrying about me, you should still ask me.


Since he has already said so, and there were certain matters that were not clarified clearly, perhaps Charlie will be an insider that knows things the public didn't know.



Light: Ask about the "persuasion"

Night: Ask why Dr. Esino no longer practice medicine




Light Choice: Ask about the "persuasion"


You: I'll ask questions then. Why did people say Dr. Esino "persuaded" the patient?


Charlie's lips curved up coldly.


Charlie: Because she said something when Emma's parents were indecisive on what they should do. "If the two of you are unable to decide, then you can entrust your hopes onto me."


Just like that? Then the accusations on the will were making no sense, so I felt a little shocked.


Charlie: There's nothing to be surprised about. Nobody can testify with those who have passed, but every single person can make their own interpretations towards the word "persuasion". In the end, even Dr. Esino herself believed that her "persuasion" in the past was wrong.



Night Choice: Ask why Dr. Esino no longer practice medicine


You: I'll ask questions then. If the lawsuit against Dr. Esino was invalid, then why didn't she practice medicine anymore?


Charlie: Invalid lawsuits does not mean undamaged reputation. To be exposed under such doubts, her attitude was also affected. Dr. Esino became incapable to make judgments. She was afraid that her judgments will bring wrong results.


Hearing his words, the worries in my heart slowly expanded.


I suddenly wanted to ask him, what will he do if he encounters a similar situation?


Will he regret on the decisions he made in the past? Will he be no longer capable to trust his decisions? But after giving it a thought, I suppose that would probably not happen, since he's Charlie after all.



Just when I'm still immersed in my thoughts, somebody knocked onto the door. The nurse I met earlier stood at the entrance, expressions looking a little serious.


She walked into the office and placed a document onto the desk.



Nurse: Dr. Zha, the patient's parents signed the agreement on abandonment of treatment. They... have already seen the patient for the very last time.


My thoughts stopped right at that instant, only to run towards the desk instinctively.


Traces of water are all over the white paper, even the signature underneath is blurred so much from it. But they still signed in the end.


A small row of words are written at the bottom.


"Doctor, we are really no longer capable to hold on anymore. If my mother knew we jeopardized the entire family for her treatment, she wouldn't be happy too."


The paper underneath it is the will Yangyang wrote on behalf of his grandmother.


Nurse: According to the patient's will, the family members agreed to donate the body for autopsy.



Charlie: Understood.


I felt tears falling from both sides of my cheeks. I didn't have a hunch to cry, but just like that, my tears subconsciously drenched my entire face.


I clearly understood, that it is inhumane to allow an elderly to suffer, and moreover, each family has their own struggles too.


Perhaps it's just as what it's written on the white paper, that if she knew about her children's condition, even the elderly would choose to give up on herself too.


I understood them all very clearly. However, those--


Treatment proposals that are no longer usable.


And the argument with Chief Sun.


The elderly's will herself, money, and the knots that her family members had in their hearts.


All of the things that Charlie shouldered on his own.


I have always been thinking, that after doing so many things, the end result will definitely be slightly changed.


In the countless future with a low probability, perhaps there will be one of them being how it was anticipated by the elderly, that she will finally recover completely, and even if she couldn't move smoothly, but she can already watch her grandchildren growing up healthily.


My line of vision filled with tears suddenly darkened. I smelled a faint scent of disinfectant, and on the next second, the back of my head is covered with warmth.


The palm is a little stiff, it's as if it didn't know how it should move, only patting twice, then ruffled a little.


Charlie: Don't cry anymore. Others might think I did something bad to you if they see this.



You: You- You didn't...  I was just- I just suddenly feeling...


For this person before me, I feel...


You: It felt like we've lost everything.



Standing by the entrance of the ICU ward, Charlie placed his hand on his chest, trying his best to suppress his heart that seemed like it's about to explode.


The dull pain that he had endured for so long made him grit his teeth.


He opened the door, and unsurprisingly, that woman stood by the soon-to-die patient, the same dark violet pupils showing him a gentle curve.



???: Baby, how about giving this medicine to mommy? It's just painkillers, mommy is really feeling a lot of pain.


He lowered his head as if he saw nothing, cutting off the tape over the fixated breathing tube, and held onto the tube.


He suddenly noticed a tiny scar on the side of the elderly's neck, and the scar was a little abnormal. It does not look like a trace left by ordinary surgeries, but more like a delicate "transformation" was performed on this body.


If and only if he could take over the case a little more earlier--


???: Are you thinking that everyone will be just like mommy, where they will be saved if they can endure a little longer? Charlie, do you regret it now? Someone is going to be killed again.


The woman spoke again, her voice sounded as gentle as a lullaby.


Charlie no longer answers to her, and turned off the respirator.


The elderly's heartbeat stopped. Charlie recorded the time, and sounded the walkie-talkie in the room.


Charlie: Send this to pathological dissection room.


He stood by the hospital bed and remained silent for a moment. A few hours ago, his fiancee was lying right here, trembling as she touched the pitiful body.


By the time he looked up again, the woman has already disappeared. It seems like this is his first time not answering her.



A shadow stood on the balcony of the hospital. His voice is very hoarse, sounding impatient.


Man: A new experimental body died eight minutes ago. Family agreed for autopsy, should I--



Lu Ting: You get rid of it, leave no trace.


Man: Yes.




Alternatively, eel free to check out other translations for Light and Night here!


If you'd like to support my translations, feel free to contact me for commissions or buy me a ko-fi here!


Until next update! :)


Translates on an irregular basis, works on short bursts of energy, suffering in muscle spasms. Travelled from north to south of Japan but would go back again and again. Also a polyglot.