Main Story Chapter 10-22: Ward No.6 (六号病房) | Light and Night 光与夜之恋

4/03/2022 11:58:00 PM 0 Comments A+ a-

 Before reading this chapter, please check Chapter 10-20 over here

.

.



The clock in the office is now showing that it's currently 8PM. I held the ice pack under my eye as I waited for Charlie's return at the entrance.


Unsure when it happened, but this spacious hospital suddenly became so boring.


Charlie: Let me see, did it become better?


Taking the ice pack off, Charlie examined my face for a few seconds.



Charlie: You don't look like a goldfish anymore.


I wanted to force out a smile for him, but I noticed my tears dried on my face, so I gave up on the thought.


Charlie: If you aren't in a rush to go home, then come with me for a walk outside.


With no hesitation, I nodded. This is my first time wanting to escape from somewhere so eagerly.


But I have forgotten, that this giant object that stands right between life and death indifferently, where it has never stopped swallowing lives out of pity to anybody, is a life where Charlie has to face on a daily basis.



Whether day or night, this place is always filled with people.


There are those who would curl themselves up and sob endlessly at the corridor, and there are also people who would wipe their tears dry, and pretentiously looking optimistic as they walk into the ward.


Illness has been maintaining its cruelest fairness in this world. Whether towards those who experience them firsthand or as a bystander, nobody can ever escape from the suffering it brings.



Until the moment the fresh air wafted towards me, that I have only managed to come to a late realization, where the stinging smell of medicine has already controlled my sense of smell long ago, that have made me to believe that it was what the air should've smelled like by default.


Sitting on the bench under the dark night, I can't help myself but to turn my head towards Charlie to have a look at his side profile.


His pale face is hidden within the dark night skies, like a misunderstood warrior that fought all on his own, looking a little sad, and he seemed like he's blaming himself for what happened.


What exactly is on his mind right now? For him to have gotten used to partings of life and death, will he also be having indescribable feelings of heaviness that even millions of words could never express them?


I can't help myself but to hold onto his hand.



You: You know what? I once had a high fever when I was little. It was over 40 Celsius, that my mind went delirious. My granny said the temperature did not decrease even after several nights. There wasn't any causes diagnosed despite visits to multiple hospitals, so I could only receive injections, to be on drips, take medicine, and had that cycle repeat repetitively, but the situation didn't improve. Granny did not give up, but she was tired both physically and mentally. Just then, a doctor told my granny, to keep persisting together. As long as there's still a ray of hope, he will try his best to look for the cause for me, and allow me to grow up healthily.


Charlie opened his palm, and held my subconsciously-clenched fist into his palm.


You: I'm a fortunate one, and I really recovered, and I have been growing up safely. If it weren't for him, I believe I would no longer continue to live in this world anymore.



Charlie: And you wouldn't have met me either.


He looked at me, gaze looking a little gentle.


You: Yes, I wouldn't have met you either. But afterwards, I think, that even if it were for him, there would probably be times where he would find himself in a helpless situation. Life is really too fragile. But as long as the best effort has been done, as long as all efforts have been done, then there will not be any regrets left. Life might perhaps be meaningless, but saving lives itself will definitely be meaningful. So don't blame yourself.


Charlie: *chuckles* ...


You: What are you laughing at?


He did not answer to me, only smiling as he looks at me. Was it a misperception of mine? There's a layer of mist shrouding within his eyes when he smiled.


Gradually, the mist dispersed. I saw his warm smile, and it isn't the kind of smile that I usually see on his face.



Charlie: It's nothing. I'm just thinking that my fiancee--


He did not continue on his words. The usual grandiose words that come after this way of addressing didn't come this time.


The night breeze brushes past us is already a little chilling. Turns out that half of the autumn season is already gone.


Charlie: Thank you.


You: You actually knew how to say "thank you" to me?



Charlie: I also know how to say "honey".


You: ......


Charlie: What are you smiling at?


You: I find it quite wonderful, the last time we sat shoulder-to-shoulder was still in your car. Back then, I wouldn't have ever believed that there will be a day for us to chat calmly like this.



Charlie: That's definitely because you've seen how charming I look at work, so you fell for me and could no longer hold yourself back.


You: No way! But if you weren't a doctor, then who knows we will indeed no longer meet anymore.


Charlie remained silent for a moment, and turned his line of gaze towards somewhere in the distant.


Charlie: Actually, I never thought of becoming a doctor in the past.


You: Eh? Then what did you want to become?



Charlie: Firefighter.


He replied very quickly, even letting out a sigh of relief when those words escaped from his lips. It's as if a giant piece of weight has been removed from his chest.


You: It doesn't seem like being a firefighter is anywhere related to becoming a doctor... You are really someone weird. Aren't you a heir of a tycoon? Why would you think of becoming a firefighter?


Charlie: Because it's cool.


He shrugged, with his line of gaze still staring at somewhere.


Charlie: Back then, I even volunteered as a firefighter for a while.


You: Did your family members agreed to it?


Charlie: How could that even be possible? They stopped my finance income, blocked me from the firefighting society, and all sorts of stuff like that.


You: Since you were that persistent, then why did you end up becoming a doctor?


After a long time, I still did not manage to get his reply.


Following his line of gaze, there's a bunch of helium balloons of different colors floating under the dark night skies, with a pair of elderly couple sitting on the stairs, selling the balloons to passing pedestrians. 


There is a boy leaning onto the elderly woman's shoulder.


I used to hear stories of how many family members of the patients opening stalls nearby the hospital because how they have to be always ready to take care of the patient, in order to earn a meager income.



A clear singing voice sounded from the end.


Little boy, little worries, and a house full of sunshine. Little boy, little worries, could it be like this forever?*


T/N: This is from a German song called Kleine Kinder, kleine Sorgen. 


Charlie's gaze is completely fixated onto those balloons, lips slightly curving upwards, seemingly to have recalled some happenings of the past.


You: Wait for me a little.


I let go of his hand, and walked towards the balloon stall.


You: Hello granny, I want a purple balloon.


The moment I carried the balloon back, Charlie is no longer seen on the bench.


I looked around in doubt, only to see him walking out from the convenience store, holding milk and bread in his hands.


Charlie: If you have irregular meals, your stomach acid will act directly onto your stomach lining, and it will lead to hyperaemia on your stomach lining, then edema.


You: Thank you, Dr. Zha.


Right when I was about to take the bread from him, he have instead held onto my left wrist, making two rounds of the purple balloon's string around my wrist, then tied a knot onto it.


You: I'm buying this for you.



Charlie: I know. The balloon is mine, and fiancee is also mine.


You (flustered): ...... Pay attention to your meal, don't talk!


Charlie: Understood.


It'd be wonderful if this night can remain peaceful like this, I thought as I looked into the skies. However, the arrivals of accidents always catch us off guard.


Bang!


Behind us, a loud sound broke the silence. It sounds like the sound of an ignited bomb.


I turned around, the blurred sounds of alarm rung into my ears. The pungent smell of smoke and dust wafted in the air, seemingly having countless particles fluttering all around.



Charlie: It's the fire alarm of the hospital. Looks like the autopsy room is on fire. They sure move fast.


It's yet another fire.


With no time left for me to ask about what he meant by "move fast", the memories of my experience in the fire has once again surrounded me.


I clenched onto the glass bottle in my hand, but I can't stop the trembles over my fingers.


Charlie has already took off his coat suavely, gesturing me to take them.



Charlie: Take care of this coat for me, it's really too filthy inside.


You: Are you going in? That won't do, it's too dangerous!


Charlie: I won't be stupid enough to lose my life before I wed you. I was a firefighting volunteer, and I'm nowhere worse compared to a professional.


I looked at him in doubt, but I have instead saw the colors of affirmation and seriousness gradually dyeing within those pair of pupils.


So I understood that he has something that he has to do over there, and I also have mine. Hence I nodded aggressively.


You: Understood. Are you sure that it's the autopsy room? I'll inform the fire department and the hospital's reception. You must be careful, there's no say on what the condition in there is like.


Charlie faced me with his back, waving at me, just like how a hero exits from the scenes in the movies.



Throughout his way along the safety exit towards the corridor of the autopsy room, the autopsy room is right at the end of the corridor. The more he walks forward, the more he can feel the scorching air.


After taking the final turn, the sight where the innermost entrance is already blown away is already visible. The aggressive fires already burnt its way outside of the room from indoors.


Charlie reached out a hand, and grasped lightly in the thin air.


The surging flames stopped at somewhere within his close reach, as if they were swallowed by a blackhole, they all disappeared in an instant*.


*T/N: Charlie's talent is Vacuum. It's an ability to control air, so here he's drawing away air (specifically Oxygen) to extinguish fire.


In the midst of sparks and flames, the blackhole expanded quickly for once again, swallowing all of the crackling sounds that are on flames altogether, and making the scene of the rampant fires to disappear completely.



Charlie: *chuckles* ......


He continued walking forward until he's in the autopsy room. Flames from everywhere within his reach have all disappeared, where the aged wall coverings and ceilings letting out rustling sounds.



??: Watch out!


A sudden exclaim is heard. Crack-- A lamp tube crashed by Charlie's foot.


Charlie: Why are you here?



Jesse: This is also what I wanted to ask you.


Charlie: Patients shouldn't be here in the autopsy room.


He gazed at the body on the autopsy table. It is clearly visible that besides the ferocity from the flames, it is also damaged by other means.


Charlie: With this, an autopsy can no longer be performed on it. But you seem to be able to tell me what happened on her.


Bits of glowing light appeared from Jesse's fingertips. In the dark autopsy room, they looked like twinkling fluorescent lights.


Jesse: This is our fight with the Strains, are you Erdas going to intervene?



Charlie: Humans are still unwilling to share as usual. Well that's true too. It's also considered as a form of entertainment to watch the two of you in a fight that only benefit the third party.


Jesse: I'm warning you--


The other half of the sentence of "to stay away from this place" has yet to be told, but there's already yet another loud bang sounding at the end of the corridor. The disappeared flames actually made its reappearance all over again, and the fires are violent.


The thick bloody odor rushes straight into the lungs, and overpowered the smell of the smokes and dust in an instant.


Jesse: Someone among the Strains is nearby.


Charlie: I smelled it. If you're begging me, I can consider taking you away from this place.


Jesse: No need.


Thud-- A loud rumble sounded from above. The surrounding walls trembled, making people to suddenly feel like the entire building is collapsing.


With a talisman between his fingers, Jesse is surrounded by a green glow, carefully walking towards the exit.


Tens of metal fixtures as thick each as an arm fell from above, and rolled off at the moment they are in contact of the green light, and splashes of liquid rusty are left all over the floor.


However, in the moment where the light weakened, one of the fixtures  caught onto the opportunity and stabbed right down to him!



Charlie: Watch out!


He turned his arm and grabbed Jesse right away. The metal fixture fell right into the fires, and let out a spark.


Charlie: No need to thank me, it's just a return of favor.


The fires kept spreading outwards endlessly, greedily swallowing everything.


Different from the flames earlier, it's more violent, more scorching, it's as if it isn't trying to burn something, but more like it's attempting to collapse something.


Despite still supports are still kept up, but nobody knows if there might be any unknown dangers lying before them.


With a quick exchange of glance, they saw the same decision from each other's eyes.


Charlie: You humans are really odd, acting so awkwardly indirect despite wanting to cooperate.



Jesse: Please take note, it's only limited to 10 minutes.


Though saying so, both of them have smiled. The two pairs of completely different pupils are reflecting scarlet red, even darker than the flames.


Crick crack-- Cracks begin appearing on the wall that supported the weight of the building. The fire seemed like it has an invisible hand pressing the building downwards forcefully.


In the instant where the collapse happened, both silhouettes rushed out.




Night End will be translated when I can translate it.


Until next update on who-knows-when, feel free to check out other translations for Light and Night here!


If you'd like to support my translations, feel free to contact me for commissions or buy me a ko-fi here!


Until next update! :)



Translates on an irregular basis, works on short bursts of energy, suffering in muscle spasms. Travelled from north to south of Japan but would go back again and again. Also a polyglot.