Main Story Chapter 9-08: Enslaved Heart (被奴役的心) | Light and Night 光与夜之恋

11/22/2021 11:18:00 PM 0 Comments A+ a-

 

Previously on Chapter 9-05... (read here)


Osborn: What's wrong, you wanted to be my Xiao the Fifth?


You: Who on earth wanted to be Xiao the Fifth?! You're the Doberman.


Osborn: Then what species are you, being so fierce?




The blockade after the fire didn't last too long. A day later, Osborn brought me back to my community area, and accompanied me upstairs to check on the condition.


There's already a cordon put up before the elevator, with words of 'currently under maintenance' shown on it. An notice is attached to the wall--


"The community area's block 282 unit 801 caught fire, there were no residents in the room. With emergency measurements taken, the fire has been under control, there were no deaths."


"The property management has began investigations to the accident, and the results will be announced again in future."


You: 801?! It's right under my unit!


The place of fire was that close to me!


But thankfully... Nobody got injured. 


Realizing that I was this close from danger, I can't help but to feel a little scared from aftershock. but after thinking of the results, I still let out a sigh in relief in the end.


Arriving my house entrance, what welcomes me is a brand new security door. It shines in a bright metallic color, looking completely different from the dusty corridor.


I looked at the doorplate number, although it's smoked black, but it's indeed my house.


The door suddenly opened, with a head popped from the side. It's a young woman with messy braids with a bright smile.



Young Woman: Big brother Xiao, the changes are done, key's here.


Osborn took the key, then tried on the lock. The bolt clicked smoothly.


The young woman packed all of her scattered tools from the floor into a huge bag, then carried the old door that changed in shape.


Young Woman: Then I'll be going, remember to call me again if there's a new business next time.


The elevator is still unusable temporarily, yet she can nimbly leave through the emergency exit carrying such huge items. Osborn held my wrist, then led me through the door.



Osborn: Still spacing out?


You: Is this your friend from the racing team? Or from the bounty guild? 



Osborn: Neither, she's from the renovation team.


You: She's so amazing!


Osborn: Yeah.


You: Boss Xiao really does have connections in every industry huh, I guess I can call you a necessity for home and travels.



Osborn: Then from now on, no matter you're staying home or traveling, you'll have to call me along.


Both of us examined the house. There are so many places soaked in water, and the wallpaper is a little torn off too.


Besides this, the entire house is smoked with ash. I rubbed the dirty parts, and noticed that it's not quite erasable.


After reporting it to the landlord, I stood in the middle of the living room with arms akimbo, and sighed helplessly.


You: Forget it, I'll slowly tidy them after this.


Osborn: Don't tidy them slowly, let's go out now.


You: Where to?



Osborn: To the furniture mall, we're getting you a new wallpaper.



Shopping with Osborn in the furniture mall is exceptionally efficient.


Two hours later, we carried a few rolls of new wallpapers, a bucket of putty, a few brushes, various sofa covers, tablecloth and a floor mat with patterns of little tortoise.



This pattern is something that I've picked, and Osborn stared at it for a long time in a frown.


Osborn: Xiaomander* would probably like it, it's all his companion drawn on this.


*T/N: Osborn's pet tortoise. 


You: Then bring it over to play next time.



Osborn: Sure, it's a promise.


He's much more proficient in housework that I've imagined, being familiar with various sorts of detergents. With his help, the tidying is done very quickly.


I know absolutely nothing about changing wallpapers, so I can only watch him standing on the stool as he brushes water onto the wall with a roller.


Osborn: What are you thinking?


You: I was thinking, how are you so good at housework?


Osborn: Of course it comes from tidying my place. I'm rearing dogs, but I can't really live in a kennel* can I?


*T/N: In CN, living in a kennel also means to live in somewhere extremely messy.


You: You're tidying on your own? I thought a rich racer like you would be hiring part-time cleaners.


Osborn: That won't do, I'm not used to having others entering where I practice driving.


You: Then why did you let me in?


Osborn: It's simple.


He squatted down, leveling his line of gaze with mine. Then waved towards me, signaling me to get a little closer to him.



Osborn: Because, you aren't 'others'. 


His voice is so soft, wafting by my ear.


The slightly drenched hair from sweat sticks on top of his brows, making his facial features to look even deeper.


There's clearly still some distance between us, yet Osborn's warmth has been continuously intruding over.



Osborn: Isn't that so, Xiao the fifth?


As if he's very satisfied with my response, he actually extended an arm and gently stroked my chin. 


You: Huh?


Not even giving me a chance to retaliate, he turned back to face his battle with the messy wallpapers again.



Time passed really quickly.


The sofa covers are changed into new ones, it's a color that I like. Osborn put some putty powder over the corner of the wallpaper, then brushed it flat.


The remains of the fire has completely disappeared without a trace.


I looked at this scene, and a sudden emotion stuck over my chest that I can't differentiate what it is. It feels a little warm, yet also a little sour.


You: Osborn, thank you.


Osborn: Thank me for what?


You: Uh... it's very hard to describe.


I squatted and touched the soft fluff on the floor mat. The original piece is gray, and it pricks the feet. I kept wanting to change it, but I'd forget about it whenever I get busy, so I just bear with it.



You: There's just an instant that makes me think this house feels really like... home.


Osborn quietly jumped off from the stool, patted off the dust over his hands. He then imitated me, and stuck his palm onto the fluffy mat.


You: It's very comfortable isn't it?



Osborn: Yeah, I'll get another tortoise floor mat for my house later too.


His expressions were very gentle when he said this, his eyes and lips are slightly curved, and the mole under the corner of his eye trembled a little, looking particularly lively.


As everything have came to a stop, I decided to brew some tea for celebration. All of the fruit juices and drinks are completely not prepared at home at all, and even the water dispenser has reached its bottom. Thankfully the water heater is still usable.


You: Osborn, there's black tea and oolong tea at home, which one do you want to drink?


Nobody answered.


You: Osborn?


I curiously looked towards the living room, only to find Osborn disappeared. Even the two large bags of trash we tidied out have also disappeared.


You: Could he have taken the trash out? Forget it, I'll brew oolong tea then, it's more refreshing.


I watched the hot vapor slowly climbing upwards along the cup as I stood before the cooking table, and a sound of door closing is suddenly heard from the outside.



Osborn: Xiao the Fifth.



You: Doberman, you're back?


He seemed to have chuckled a little.



Osborn: There's something I wanted to ask you. Do you know the resident from unit 801?


You: Why are you suddenly asking this?


Osborn: I looked around the floor downstairs just now, and found something weird.


I placed the tray down, and tried recalling in detail.


She's an enthusiastic and kind woman, I've met her a few times in the elevator, and greeted her before too.


But she seemed like she wasn't able to recognize me the time I met her last week.


I told my scarce encounters with the woman to Osborn.


Osborn stayed silent, holding the cup up but not drinking. Even the white mist have blurred his expressions.


I suddenly feel a little uneasy, as if the cleaning earlier was just a temporary removal of the shadows from the disaster, yet it has now returned to my side.


You: What's wrong? You said you found something weird earlier, right?


Placing down the teacup, Osborn opened his palm, there's a carved double-headed snake badge laying on it.


You: ! Isn't this the pattern on Bai Mu's bracelet?!



Osborn: That's right. It also has another meaning, it symbolizes the Strains.


You: ... Strains?! She's part of the Strains?


Although we have only been in contact for a few times, but I really couldn't connect her to the Strains.


You: But she doesn't look any different from us.


Osborn: Do you still remember what I've told you before? The Strains are hiding among humans. Besides their eyes turning red when using their Talent, they don't look any different from humans at other times.


If I were to say that I was only learning about that weird world on the sidelines as a spectator, then in reality I'd still think they are very far away from me.


But right now I've truly realized, that world has already unknowingly overlapped with the world I'm in.


Osborn: There are actually many non-human beings around us. It's just that it's really hard to detect them. Afraid now?


You: I can't say that I'm afraid, it's an instinctive response. I can't put it clearly in words either.


Osborn: I understand. But no matter what race they are, they have emotions that are close to humans. They have things they like and dislike, and also love and hate.


I could still recall the time when I worked overtime until midnight, because I forgot to bring the access card that I can't enter the building, I called her bell in a panic and bashfully asked if she can open the door for me.


She didn't show any signs of impatience, and very quickly opened the door for me, even reminding me that one of the elevators are broken so I have to be mindful about it.


You: Yeah, I understood.


Osborn stood up, and worn his jacket over his shoulders.



Osborn: Alright, then it's about time for me to go too.


You: Huh? Right now? You haven't even took more than two sips of the tea.


Osborn picked up the teacup, and quickly drank a sip.


Osborn: It's hot.


His nose scrunched without leaving a trace.


You: That's true too, you probably like iced drinks better, right? I'll keep more of those next time.


Osborn: That's a pretty good arrangement, I'll definitely drop by again.


He waved towards me, then walked out.



It's already dark, and the skies outside has no stars nor moon. The corridor's sensor lights are probably not changed into new ones yet, the corridor is pitch black.


The cordon is already pulled up in front of the unit that was on fire, but Osborn crossed over it with no hesitations.



Only met a few times, greeted, then turned into strangers again.


The mere words from the girl sounded very normal, yet he knows it isn't as simple as that.


The flooring at the center of the living room is burnt black, it's burnt into a dent, holding a small bunch of dust. The burnt smell mixed with a weird, stinky odor as it spreads in the air, not dispersing even after a day has passed.



He then pulled open the drawers that have changed in shape, and under the narrow bedside shelf, Osborn found the item he wanted.


A white medical history record miraculously escaped the brutal fires. There are a couple of holes scorched from the high temperatures, and the medical record is stuck on the last page.


As expected, this is the eighth self-combustor that he managed to trace. These people have different genders, ages and occupations, the only thing that can be used as an evidence of confirmation is--


They have all gotten treatments from the same hospital.



The First Hospital of Guang Qi.



Chapter 9-10 is now up, feel free to read it here!


While waiting for the next part... feel free to check out other translations for Light and Night here!


If you'd like to support my translations, feel free to contact me for commissions or buy me a ko-fi here!


Until next update! :)





Translates on an irregular basis, works on short bursts of energy, suffering in muscle spasms. Travelled from north to south of Japan but would go back again and again. Also a polyglot.