Main Story Chapter 9-05: Enslaved Heart (被奴役的心) | Light and Night 光与夜之恋

11/21/2021 09:53:00 PM 0 Comments A+ a-

 

Previously on Chapter 9-03... (read here)


Youth: Will you be coming over next time? There are also fun places around here.


The night breeze lifts his hair, showing his bright eyes.


Younger You: I... Yeah! I'll come.




The images of the headstrong, emaciated youth in my memories is slowly overlapping with the man standing before me.


So that bunch of gentle blue flames have already appeared in my life long ago, but why do I only realize it now?



You: So it's really you...


Before I can even finish, Osborn has already dragged me into his embrace, holding me so tightly. As if he's found what he's lost, and he's no longer willing to let go.



Osborn: Has anyone called you a monster again ever since?


You: Granny brought me back to school and reported the incident, then they apologized to me, and the rumors gradually disappeared too. When did you recognize me?


Osborn: Do you still remember that shop for escape room? You said something similar to the past, so I was a little suspicious back then. Until you covered my shoulder with the fire extinguishing mat, I've confirmed it.


You: But how can you confirm with just that? It was just a line and a movement.



Osborn: I'm just sure of it.


He no longer spoke, only to hold me quietly, finger gently caressing behind the back of my neck.


You: I'm sorry. When I was back on that day, something... happened again at home. I've took leave from school, and granny no longer let me out anymore. After that, I went to that warehouse, but I didn't manage to find you.


Osborn: Then we're even. During that period I moved somewhere else, and I didn't go back there anymore.


His tone is sounding more upbeat, seeming very relaxed, and I softly made a sound in response.


If it were for now, even if there's something extremely serious happening, I'll definitely look for a way to get in touch with Osborn. But my childhood life was not something that I can control.


The gentle caress over the back of my neck continued, as if it's consoling my apologetic emotions.


Buzz-- The phone in my pocket suddenly vibrated, An An's anxious voice could be heard.



An An: Why did you hang up halfway earlier? I heard your community area had a fire, I was so panicked! Do you want to live over my place tonight?


You: Uh, there's no need anymore, I found a place to stay.


An An: You can't be living in a hotel right? Would it be safe?


You: That's not it, it's just--


I suddenly couldn't think of what to say, unsure how to explain the situation to An An.


You: Actually I'm living in my cousin's house.


An An: Cousin? Why didn't I know you still had a cousin?


You: It's a distant cousin, he heard something happened at my place, so he picked me up. Don't worry, I'm fine.


An An: Alright then, rest well and don't think too much for now alright? I'll think of a solution with you on happens to your house.


You: Okay, good night then!


After hanging up the call, I let out a long sigh, and Osborn's teasing voice suddenly sounded by my ear.



Osborn: Cousin? Why didn't I know we have such a relationship? How about try calling me Gege*?


*T/N: Gege means elder brother, but in Asian culture we don't only call them Gege/ Jiejie etc. to our own family, but can to anyone we are comfortable to call so. Also, sometimes it can be used in a flirty or a coyly manner too. ;) 



You: ...! I was just looking for an excuse, let go of me first.


Osborn: I'll let go if you call me that way.


You: You're teasing me again!


Osborn can't help but to let out a chuckle, then let go of me, and pressed on the switch on the wall.


Only then I can see this entire place properly. It's a big flat with an American-styled interior decoration, with pipes and red bricks showing everywhere.


You: So cool, is this your home?


Osborn: Wrong, it's where I practice racing.


You: You drive in the room?



Osborn: Silly, there's a track specially built at the back. This place is used for sleeping. Have a seat.


Osborn leisurely lie against the sofa, then pat the spot beside him.


I obediently sat down, tilting my head as I looked at him.


Time has surely changed him a lot, but through that pair of eyes, it feels like I can still have a peek at the headstrong youth back then. After passing through the precarious years, he has already grown into a ray of light enough to brighten himself.


Osborn: Do you like looking at me so much?



You: Who said I was looking at you? I'm looking at the decoration.


I pretended to look around the surroundings, and I really have noticed a problem.


You: Why is there only a single room here?


Osborn: It's just me living here, what do you say?


You: Then what do I do?


I got confused, and looked at Osborn helplessly. He too, have imitated my helpless expression, and looked back at me.


You: ...



You: You can't be saying that you're going to let me sleep on the bed and you'll be sleeping on the sofa, right? How nice of you, thanks in advance!


Osborn squinted his eyes, then leaned towards me.


Osborn: What are you thinking, you're sleeping on the sofa, and I'm sleeping on the bed.


You (pouting): ... Hmph!


Osborn: What benefit do I get if I let you sleep on the bed?



You (still pouting): What benefit? I don't understand what you're talking about.


Osborn: Don't understand? Then too bad, you'll have to sleep on the sofa then. 


Seeing his shameless look, I glared at him with an angry, puffy face.


Osborn: First return your debts. Since you kept having trouble recognizing me, then let's make a mark.


You: A mark?


Osborn: Mhm, just like the brooch I gave you, you'll have to make something for me too. If you don't make it well enough, I'll not let you go.


You: Then if it's satisfactory, then can I sleep on the bed?


Osborn startled for an instant, and immediately smirked.



Osborn: Then I'll have to see how much you can satisfy me with it. 


He purposely dragged his sentence, as if he's hinting something, and I finally understood what it meant--


You: You're driving*!


*T/N: 开车 can both mean 'driving a car' OR talking something with sexual innuendo. :D


Osborn: Who exactly among the two of us is driving right now?


You: I didn't mean it that way, there's ambiguity.


bonk to you, bonk to me, bonking everyone else


Osborn: It doesn't matter, as long as I mean it that way.


You: I don't wanna talk to you anymore, I'll look for the mark...


I can't talk over him at all, so I covered my face as I ran away.


You: What markings can I find here? Vinyl records are too big, it's not suitable to be carried on the body. Candy box is small, but it isn't special enough.


There aren't much furniture and ornaments here to begin with. I circled around the house, but I can't pick anything at all.


You: Why are there so little things here? I can't even make use of my creativity here.


Osborn: I'm living alone, why would I need so many things?


You: The room has to be filled in order to not feel deserted, you know? Even if you're living alone, it will feel homey.



Osborn: Sure, then I'll wait for you to fill it up for me.


You: ...... I'll keep looking. 


Ten minutes later, I collapsed on the sofa in defeat, feeling too shameful to face my words of grandiloquence earlier.


You: I suddenly think sleeping on hard sofa is good for the spine.


Osborn: Giving up just like that? *yawns* Then I'll go to bed first.


You: Don't--


I quickly tugged on his sleeve.


You: Give me some hint, would you?


Osborn: Sure, look for it on me.


He pointed towards himself, and I immediately began to measure him up from top to bottom.


You: Black hair, snake motif on the collar, plain black shirt...


My gaze slowly focused on his chest, a perfect idea appeared in my mind.


You: Osborn, I know what to do now! It'll definitely be one of its kind!


An hour later--



Osborn: So this is what you called one of its kind?


You: Yeah!


My inspiration came from the button on Osborn's shirt.


After transforming it, the button is now added with a few overlapping olive leaves, it's something I took from my brooch. The sliver leaves and the old bronze button looks surprisingly good when paired together.


I then found a sliver necklace, passed it through the hole of the button, and a simple necklace is completed.


You: It says the second button of the shirt is the closest to the heart, it's the same for my brooch. Stacking them together, and the owners' hearts will be one. With this, no matter what dangers we face, no words are needed, and we'll understand what's on the other's mind. There's definitely not a second necklace like this in this world, as long as I see it, it means I've seen you. It's a pity that I only have the basic tools in my bag, so it isn't delicate enough. You can make do with it, I'll fine tune it for you next time--


Osborn grabbed onto my hand, a faint smile exudes from his eyes.



Osborn: No need, I just wanted this. It's still early to sleep, wanna have a look at my secret base?


You: Can I?



I followed him to the back door. As soon as the door is open, the night winds blows right into our faces, carrying faint sounds of insect cries.


The traces of drifting tires left complicated lines, extending till somewhere in distant.


The skies without blockage from the high rise building is so deep, so distant, and the pure ink blue stretches endlessly.


You: How beautiful, it feels so otherworldly...


Osborn: Take a seat.


Osborn sat on the bonnet, leaning backwards, pillowing his head with both arms. His leisure, comfortable look feels like a satiated Doberman about to take a nap. 


I suddenly recalled, if there weren't the accident happening today, I probably have happily played a few rounds of bumper cars with him by now.


And not to have my heart hanging in the air, worrying for this and that.



Osborn: Don't think so much, lie down and relax. Look at the skies, everything will be better.


He turned his head over, and gave me a voiceless smile. As if he's trying to tell me, that even if it's the end of the world, the skies can be the blanket, and the earth can be the bed.


I copied him as I leaned on the car.


Osborn: How does it feel?


You: My heart seems to feel at peace, and free.


Osborn: That's right.


You: You know what? It has been so long since I saw such a beautiful night sky. The night in the city has always been grey, filled with colorful neon lights. There's only a tiny corner of the sky, and even if I raise my head up to have a look, it feels like the world is cramped, and it feels so hard to even take a breather. But now it feels like there's no need for me to be bothered about anything, work and troubles are all very, very far away from me.


Osborn: If I were to give you two choices, one, to stay here, and two, to go back to the city, which would you pick?


[Choice]



Light: Stay here

Night: Choose a city life



[Light Choice: Stay here]


You: Of course I'd like to stay here.


Osborn: Why is that?


You: If it's possible, who wouldn't want to live a simple and happy life? I used to really like "The Peach Blossom Spring" when I was in school. Far from the seculars, and live with no troubles.


Osborn: But if that person decided to leave the spring someday, they'll realize everything has changed when they are out. The familiar streets, the friends in the past, and even the communication tools are becoming unfamiliar.


You: Then wouldn't it be fine to just not go out?


Osborn: If you aren't going out, then you won't be able to see design exhibitions that you like, you can't eat steamboat, BBQ, and you also can't play bumper cars with me too.


You: Ah... But there must also be joys that are only belonging to the Peach Blossom Spring, no? To stroll in the wild, to feel the night breeze, and stare into the skies as we count stars with you, just like now. Since a choice is made, then there's a need to seriously feel the happiness that we own. 




[Night Choice: Choose a city life]


You: I'll probably choose the second one. There are my favorite design exhibitions, my friends, the bumper cars that I've promised to play with you, and my dreams. Although it is always accompanied with stress, but as soon as I think that I've only just started this journey... I'll feel that if I leave everything behind by staying here for freedom, there will be a day where I will regret it.


Osborn: Indeed. Once a person is immersed in their self-righteous freedom, then look back into this world, there will be a feeling of confusion.


You: Confusion?


Osborn: Mhm, to find everything not to their liking, feeling as if they are being forced to give in to reality.


Osborn's face is veiled with a faint layer of moonlight, I can't see his expressions clearly.


Osborn: But even the so-called freedom itself is mostly just something that people imagined to make themselves happy. 


You: I think I understand a little on what you meant. Just like when I was in university, I was so immersed between papers and lines, thinking that what I am doing is the true art. But afterwards, I realized that the world outside is really huge, and art is never this narrow.



What about you? Which would you choose between the two options?


Osborn: Take a guess.


You: How should I guess?


Osborn: Aren't you understanding me quite well yourself?



You: Are you talking about your body measurements*? Then for that itself I can definitely understand with a glance.


*T/N: Here it means the B/W/H measurement. Osborn's measurements are 102/76/96cm. You're welcome. ;)


Osborn: You're being modest, those you should see, and those you shouldn't have seen, haven't you seen them all already?


You: Since when?! But if it's based on instinct, I think no matter what you choose, you'll definitely not give yourself regrets



Osborn: It's still you who understands me well. Looks like I have to work harder to understand you, so I won't be losing to you.


You: ......



Osborn: You can't take compliments that well, huh? Look at you, getting all flustered now. Which part should I begin understanding from?


He leaned a little closer, his gaze traveled between my cheeks and ears, and he even deepened his tone.


You: Osborn!


Osborn: Hey, I'm here.


You: Don't keep--



???: Woof-- Woof woof--


You: ?


A black puppy came to us, sniffed Osborn's ankle, then sat down obediently.


Then two puppies... three puppies followed as they sat in a row neatly, grinning.


Osborn's suddenly gasped, jumped off from the bonnet, and patted the puppies' heads with a disdained look.



Osborn: Who told you guys to come back at this timing? Xiao the Fourth, where did you go that you came back covered in mud?


Yes, Osborn literally named his pets with numbers...


You: Xiao the Fourth?


The third little black puppy barked happily, unknowing what fate will befall upon him next.


You: Your dog?


Osborn: They are stray dogs, I fed them once, and they never wanted to leave anymore.



With a hand carrying a dog each, pinching the skin behind their necks, he carried them back to the house.


I quickly hugged the remaining puppy, and followed back indoors.


You: Then you allowed them to stay? Three of them?



Osborn: There's also a cat, not sure where it went. Since I saved their lives, so they have to do something for me in return, so I took them back to watch over the house.


He said it's to watch over his house, but still let them out and have fun. What is this return he's saying, it's clear that he's raising them.


As the dog food packaging is opened, the puppies ran around Osborn crazily that they are almost drooling to the floor.


Osborn placed a handful of the food into each bowl, with finger pointing to the three of them, looking like he's about to scold them.


Osborn: Hmph, whichever among you dare to spill the food again, and I'll throw it away. Especially you, Xiao the Second, don't make me hit you.


The puppies kept eating without bothering about him, only with their tails wagging from time to time, as if it's a perfunctory response towards Osborn.


You: Don't be so fierce to puppies alright, be a little more gentle.


As I pet their fluffy hair, my stomach shamelessly let out a growl.


Osborn squatted down, and leaned towards me.



Osborn: What's wrong, you wanted to be my Xiao the Fifth?


You: Who on earth wanted to be Xiao the Fifth?! You're the Doberman.


Osborn: Then what species are you, being so fierce?


Seeing the girl looking angry, Osborn suddenly felt that her words about how deserted this place looked to make some sense. It's good to be just like this, it's lively.





While waiting for the next part... feel free to check out other translations for Light and Night here!


If you'd like to support my translations, feel free to contact me for commissions or buy me a ko-fi here!


Until next update! :)


Translates on an irregular basis, works on short bursts of energy, suffering in muscle spasms. Travelled from north to south of Japan but would go back again and again. Also a polyglot.