Main Story Chapter 9-03: Enslaved Heart (被奴役的心) | Light and Night 光与夜之恋

11/20/2021 10:38:00 PM 0 Comments A+ a-

 

Previously on Chapter 9-01... (read here)


But-- Unsure if it's because of the frequent disasters in Guang Qi city, or this sudden fire that happened all of a sudden, the unknown feelings where it feels like accidents will descend at any moment made me extremely afraid.


I took out my phone in hesitation.


You: Hello? An An, can I stay in your place tonight--


The phone in my hand was suddenly taken away by Osborn, and the call was hung up.


He buckled up my seatbelt for me, stepped on the accelerator, and drove into the night.


Osborn: Come with me.





My heart is in a complete mess along the way.


While I was completely immersed in my worries, I completely didn't notice that Osborn's gaze have been on me from time to time.



Osborn: We're here.



The car parks in front of a small building, with flat land surrounding it, looking a little desolated.


You: Where is this?


Osborn didn't answer, only to turn off the engines skillfully, closed the car door, and led me straight into the house.


His grasp was strong, and he walked so hurriedly that I can't struggle off from him.



As the door opened, there's only a single lamp being switched on.


You: Osborn, this--


Before I can finish asking, he has already encircled my waist. The scorching, hurried breaths closes up in an instant that I subconsciously retreated backwards, until he pins me against the wall.



Osborn: Were you the person who was locked in the warehouse with me 12 years ago? Why did you not come back again after that day?


Being watched intensely under his deep gaze, I could only feel a little dizzy, almost forgetting to breathe, and forgot to think.


Osborn on the other hand was unhappy with my response, almost closing up to me fiercely. Seeing his face is almost touching the tip of my nose, I subconsciously pushed his chest.


He took the opportunity to hold my hand, and placed it before his chest.


Osborn: What are you running away from? Tell me, was it you?


The night was dark as the moonlight pours into the room from behind outlines his profile clearly, yet his features are blurry, only to show how deep and scorching those pairs of eyes are.


It feels like there's a flame hiding inside, burning till the bottom of my heart, and with a crackling sound-- it burns off the seal of my memories.


The hands of the time rewinds quickly, bringing me back to the late autumn many years ago.


Until today, I still recall that year where the paper money* covering the fall leaves, like a long-lasting snow.


*T/N: Something used for Chinese funerals, thrown in the skies or burnt as offering. Usually yellowish-white, rectangular and long. It's often seen in funerals for Taoists.


Each time before I go out, granny will pin a small piece of white cloth* over my sleeve. Then held my hand, and sent me to school.


*T/N: In Chinese tradition, when a family member dies, depending on your relationship with the dead, a different color of cloth will be pinned on the sleeve until the day of burial (for modern days). In modern days it's generally a couple of days until a week until burial, depending on the undertaker's calculations on Fengshui. Though more traditional families will do it for longer periods, especially if the dead is an immediate family member. The reason why a white cloth is pinned for MC's case, it's because traditionally, the family members are required to dress in white for 100 days, but in modern days it's realistically impossible with school and work that requires uniform, hence the white piece of tiny cloth is something that represents the white clothes.



Just like that, half a month has passed. I entered the fifth grade, and was preparing for my draft of speech as the school's representative for the state competition of all-rounder students. 



???: The teacher must have took pity on her and gave her the opportunity because she lost her parents.



???: Actually I think our class president is a better candidate than her.



???: Shh, my mom says this is what you call a jinx, and told us to stay away from her.


The whispers in the tiny corner dispersed by the school bells calling for class, but like the headstrong dandelions, landing in every corner of the school along with the winds.


I stood at the staircase entrance like a log as I looked at the spacious campus, suddenly feeling there's nowhere I can go.


It's not like I've never heard similar words from the neighbors either, each time granny would turn her face away as she shed tears, then squat down and told me in a serious manner that there's no need for me to be sad, mommy just happened to go somewhere very far away.



Younger You: I can't cry, I can't let granny worry...


Tears still fell out in the end.



By the time I've returned to my senses, I've already ran all the way to the first floor. The reading sounds echoed in the corridors, pushing me away like a shapeless barrier.


Clenching onto the coins in my pocket, I left the school without turning back.



That was my first time skipping class. I had no aim, no directions, only moving forward with the bus.



The sun has already set by the time I reached the last stop. Weeds are growing everywhere, and this place is completely desolated, with only a single black-colored factory standing alone over there.


Like the other me in this world.



Opening the door, the dust wafted towards me right away. I walked to a corner as I squatted onto the floor, spacing out as I stared into the gloomy skies outside the window.


Some time has passed just like that, then hushing sounds of people appeared from the entrance, and it seems like there's also some beating sounds nearby.



???: Weren't you quite the powerful one last time? Get up, you monster.


???: Stop kicking already, if you kicked him to death we'd be the ones in trouble.


???: There's a warehouse there, throw him in.


The light from above only poured in for a single second, and the warehouse turned dark very quickly.


In fear, I looked at the person laying on the ground slowly standing up, not daring enough to make a sound.


On the next second, he looked at me in alert. Even if there's some distance between us, I could still see his alertness from his eyes.



Younger You: I- I didn't hear anything...


Our gazes met for a couple of seconds just like that. Unsure if he has confirmed that I show no hostility, or if it was his body no longer capable to hold on, he dragged on a leg as he slowly moved to the other corner.


I can only see him clearly with the help of the weak light. That was a emaciated youth that looks around my age, still wearing a tattered black short-sleeved T-shirt in late autumn.


The messy hair covered almost half of his face, with dense scars of various degrees covering all over his arms.


Was he fighting just now? Could this be the gangsters that were rumored? Would those who were talking still be back?


To face such happenings on my first time skipping class, why am I this unlucky? 


I subconsciously bit my nails, and used my remaining rationality to think of what to do next.


Yet at the instant I looked around the surroundings, my gaze froze. The drips of blood has formed into a line on the floor, and finally stopped before the youth.


Is that his blood?


The first thought in my mind was to escape. He's so weak now, if I were to escape right now, he will definitely be unable to chase after me.


I quickly took a glance at him.


The youth sits as he leans against the wall, both arms drooping on his sides, lifting his face high up, with his eyes tightly shut without budging at all.


If I didn't bother to care about him, would he just die like that?


Younger You: ... Are you okay?


No response.


I braved myself and walked towards him. The smell of blood thickens.


Younger You: Can you hear me?


Standing half a meter away from him, I extended an arm to check his breath.


The youth suddenly opened his eyes, and grabbed onto my wrist right away. The pair of emerald eyes can't look anymore hostile that they can get.


Drip-- Blood flows down along his wrist.


Younger You: You're bleeding, you'll die if you bleed too much, you should go to the hospital.


The youth startled slightly, then measured me up coldly, as if he's examining something. But in the end he only let go of his hand.



Youth: It won't kill me.


He closes his eyes again, looking completely unmindful.


Perhaps the gangsters are already used to fighting and bleeding, I thought quietly. But even so--


Younger You: Do you have a phone? You can call 120 for them to save you.


*T/N: Emergency hotline in China.


After giving it a thought, I took out a handkerchief from my pocket.


Younger You: It's a must to stop bleeding for the injured, I have a handkerchief, here.


Seeing him still not budging with his eyes shut, I could only muster up my courage and lift his injured arm, but surprisingly, the youth didn't decline it this time.


I tried to make my movements as gentle as possible, but the scar is just too long and deep, the handkerchief is immediately dyed in red as soon as it's tied onto the arm.


In contrast to my nervousness, there was no changes in his expressions, as if he has never felt pain at all, even those almost unnoticeable frown feels like it were all just my imaginations.


By the time I have returned to my own corner, the youth has opened his eyes. He spaced out as he stared at the ribbon knot on the handkerchief quietly, it was uncertain on what goes in his mind.



Youth: Hey, are you a student from the nearby primary school?


Younger You: No.


Youth: Then why are you here?


Younger You: I-- I don't really want to go home.


Youth: There will be many wolfhounds appearing at night over here.


Younger You: What? I- I'll leave now! Remember to call 120!


I quickly stood up, patting off the dust on my pants, and raised my arms to pull the heavy metal door.


But the door doesn't budge no matter how I pulled it, it's probably locked.


Younger You: What should I do, the door is locked...


My heart sank, as if I could really hear the barks from somewhere not far away.


Younger You: The sky is so dark, are we going to be eaten by the wolfhounds...?


It seems like there's a chuckle coming from the darkness.



Youth: I lied.


Younger You: Huh?


Youth: There are no wolfhounds here, there'll be someone opening the door tomorrow morning.


He threw a sentence coldly, as if he's already used to being locked in this place.


Younger You: Do we have to wait until tomorrow morning?


I squatted on the floor helplessly, granny's panicked look has already appeared before my eyes. She even tripped herself two days ago, and it took her so much effort to walk.


I promised to not let her worry about me anymore, yet I kept making mistakes.


If I didn't skip class and chose to ignore those words, then would I never encounter so many unlucky happenings?


I turned around, looking towards the skies that have turned pitch black ages ago, and suddenly got teary.


My handkerchief appeared in my blurry vision. The blood is already half dried, showing a dark red color.


Youth: I'm giving this back. The guards here are off duty at 5pm, they will only arrive tomorrow morning. Don't cry anymore, it's useless to cry.


My tears that just stopped suddenly poured out even more violently because of this line.


Younger You: I'm indeed an unlucky person, anything that I encounter will take a bad turn... It's so dark and cold here, and I'm so hungry... I've never skipped class before, granny must've been looking for me everywhere, even my all-rounder qualification will be canceled too. *sob*


The youth seemed to be shocked, looking a little uncertain of what to do.


At the next instant, a blur light brightened all of a sudden. It brightened the darkness, and brought some warmth to this originally cold warehouse.


I stopped sobbing immediately, raising my head, and stared into that tiny flame in that youth's palm.


Younger You: ... Fire?


Something flashed past the youth's eyes, his expressions changed slightly, as if he thought of something.


With a puff, the flames suddenly disappeared, and the warehouse returned to its darkness once again.



Youth: You can see it?


Younger You: Yeah, it's blue, very pretty.


Youth: Aren't you afraid?


Younger You: Why should I be afraid? It's warmer than the sun, so why would I be afraid*? Tell me secretly, is this a legendary superpower that is long lost?


*T/N: If you think it's familiar, it's because of this.


The youth's gaze moved slightly, even he didn't notice that the blue flame reappeared in his palm for once again, as if it has received an acknowledgment.



Youth: This isn't a superpower, it's something that a monster can't throw away.


Younger You: Then monsters are the greatest of this world, they can retaliate after being bullied, unlike me, only knowing how to run away.


Youth: But I'm different from them, I'm a child of a villain, I have nobody that can come for my parent-teacher conference, and fire will appear in my palms from time to time.


Younger You: I have only my granny left too... but is it our fault to be different? If we are all the same, then will we never be bullied anymore?


Youth: I don't know. Why did you skip class? Because you didn't get nominated as an all-rounder?


Younger You: They said I'm a jinx, I got angry, so I ran away. Perhaps I'm also a monster too...


The gaze moved away from the white cloth on my sleeve. The youth no longer speaks, only to quietly look at me. In this deadly quiet warehouse, the only thing that makes a sound is the flame on his palm.



Youth: Let's go, I'll get out out of here.


Younger You: Aren't we waiting until tomorrow?


The youth did not speak anymore, only to raise his head as he look towards the square window, exuding affirmation from his gaze.


In a sudden, the blue flames climbed onto the window lattice. As if they are like hands that are gently prying open the tough railings and glasses.


I turned around in surprise, but only to see some sporadic sparks falling onto his shoulder. Recalling the way he looked when he resisted the pain when I was bandaging him, I can't help but to extend an arm to cover the holes.


Even if I were a useless monster, I could at least protect my partner.



Younger You: I suddenly feel that it isn't that scary to be a monster, I still have you in company.



By the time we left the warehouse, the moon is already high up in the skies, quietly shining over us.


Younger You: Thank you, I'll go home first.


Youth: Uh--


I've already taken a two steps forward, but the youth suddenly called out to me. I turned around, seeing him still standing alone over there.



Youth: Will you be coming over next time? There are also fun places around here.


The night breeze lifts his hair, showing his bright eyes.



Younger You: I... Yeah! I'll come.



   


Chapter 9-05 is now updated here!


While waiting for the next part... feel free to check out other translations for Light and Night here!


If you'd like to support my translations, feel free to contact me for commissions or buy me a ko-fi here!


Until next update! :)


Translates on an irregular basis, works on short bursts of energy, suffering in muscle spasms. Travelled from north to south of Japan but would go back again and again. Also a polyglot.