Main Story Chapter 9-01: Enslaved Heart (被奴役的心) | Light and Night 光与夜之恋

11/19/2021 10:28:00 PM 0 Comments A+ a-



Before reading this chapter, please check out the LIGHT END and NIGHT END of Chapter 8!



Enslaved Heart (被奴役的心)

 



"In the refreshingly green morning, I'm willing to become a heart."



I never felt how fast time has passed whenever it's summer. Until the winds became cooling and nighttime arriving gradually earlier, that I've realized autumn has arrived.


In a blink of an eye, it has been half a year since I joined Warson. From a timid newbie that arrives work earlier than I should, I've now became an "experienced staff" that has mastered the skill of arriving work just in time.


What accompanies with the hurriedly gone time, is the preparation works for Warson's upcoming Spring/Summer show next year. The show this time too, has left a spot out for newbie designers.


The method to attain the spot is still through assessments and competition. I placed all of my entertainment activities aside, and used all my free time to either absorbing new knowledge, or to work on my fundamental skills.


Of course there are times where I would feel like I wanted to just vanish from existing, especially after seeing some excellent works in the past.



You: How does one even think of such an idea? How impressive! This tailoring is way too smooth, and it's actually the works of an assistant designer?!


I shut the picture album heavily, and buried my head right into the blankets.


You: Everyone are doing much greater than I do...


Right beside me, the phone buzzed.



You: Osborn, what happened?


Osborn: So I can't look for you if nothing happened? Why do you sound so unenergetic?


You: I feel like I'm just like a piece of useless wood right now. Say, why are there so many talented people in this world?


Osborn: Are there many? The only one talented that I know is you. 



Osborn: As for the useless wood, didn't it burn brightly two days ago? Burnt out so quick already? I recall there was a certain someone telling me to not look for her for any activities that would require more than 10 minutes, and not interrupting her to work hard?


You: You still dared to mock me?!


Osborn: Angry now? I have yet to even be angry despite you've declined me for so many times.


You: Well am I not trying to make the most of my time right now? I'll treat you to a meal next time. Is that sincere enough?


Osborn: Wanna make it even more meaningful?


You: What?


Osborn: Let's not talk about next time, just do it now. Repay me everything that you owe me at once. Rather than laying at home thinking nonsense, how about going out with me for a change of mood?


You: But...


Osborn: No buts. Too much anxiety will swallow you entirely. Whenever I prepare for competitions, even if the situation doesn't look anywhere prospective, I'd still leave some time for myself to divert my attention.


You: Is that so?


Osborn: Let me ask you this, what's the use of being anxious over things?


You: It's probably useful in a sense.



Osborn: If it's useful, then what's there to worry about?


You: So it's useless?



Osborn: If it's useless, then what's there to worry about?


Oh yeah, that makes a lot of sense. Although none of the problems are solved, but somehow, my heart sighed in relief.


You: Alright, I'll listen to you then. What are we going to do outdoors?


Osborn: Of course we're going to do some exciting things.


You: Exciting things again?!


Osborn: That's right, scared now?


You: I think it's better to do something simple and relaxing.


Osborn: You're so scared by the idea of driving bumper cars itself? You're really a little coward huh.


You: So it's driving bumper cars! I thought it'd be--


Osborn: What did you think it would be?


You: Nothing, nothing, thank you.


Osborn: I don't want to hear "thank you". I want to hear you begging for mercy later.


You: Don't you belittle me, I'm good at driving bumper cars!


Osborn: Sure, then I'll let you lead me. Wait for me to fetch you.



After hanging up from the call, I slowly poked my head out from the blanket.


The summer didn't seem to have gone far enough as the golden red rays of sunset pours onto my face, the scorching heat gradually burned off the anxiety in my heart into a handful of warm ash.


I rolled and got out of the bed, getting myself ready as I change into my casual outfit.


Right then, a weird smell wafted from the slightly closed windows. It smells like the odor of something finished burning, but it stings the nose even further.


Before I can look over, right on the next second, a loud sound could be heard from downstairs. Bang-- Bang bang-- even the floor has vibrated a few times.


What follows is a weird burnt smell gushing right up to the nose. The sounds of cluttered footsteps and fearful screams could be heard from the corridors from one spot to the other.



???: Fire! Hurry and escape!!


I've finally snapped into my senses, and dashed right towards the balcony. Only to find the red flames rolling between the thick smokes as it quickly spreads upwards, even the air is dyed into a suppressing lead grey color.


The fierce fires deliberately swirls with the winds. In an instant, the skies and lands are filled with the spooky yet mesmerizing red light. 


The sounds of sirens are sounding twisted in the waves of fire, as if they are the callings and summoning sounds from hell.


Fear made my body unresponsive like a computer in blue screen, and I could only stun right on the ground, completely in a blur.


What should... I do?!



Unsure how long has passed-- Or perhaps it has been a lot of time passed, or perhaps it were just a few seconds that have passed. Right now, there's no concept of time for me anymore. I trembled as I wet the towels with water, closed my windows tightly, and tried my best to think.


But God didn't spare me any time at all, as the smokes have gotten into the room from any slits available. Being roasted in the high temperatures, the door knob began making cracking sounds of expansion, the outlook of the situation is nowhere positive at all.


I quickly covered my entire body with the drenched bath towel, covering my nose as I plan to rush towards the staircase.



But what I didn't know, was the real danger actually starts from this very moment.


The door can't be opened.


No matter what method I tried, or how much strength I used, it just wouldn't budge.


I can only crash my body into the door again and again in hopes to open it with brute force.


My strength ran out quickly, and my arms hurt so much that they are now numb.


Surrounded by the sparks of fire and smokes, I limped onto the floor, my entire body trembled.


It feels like the noisy crackling sounds of fire is announcing my upcoming death.


I leaned against the door in extreme exhaustion. In a trance, it feels like I've fallen into a dream that happened many years ago.



I saw the dazzling blue sparks of flames bloomed in the cold night, just like the irises swaying in the winds.


And the pair of young, slightly raised eyes.



You: Osborn...


As my consciousness wanders as it reaches the brink of disappearance, I heard a hurried pant. What follows is the sound of the door being opened.



??: Y/N. I'm here.


This familiar voice made me almost couldn't believe in my own ears.


Osborn: Are you hurt anywhere?


Osborn covered me with a fire extinguishing mat, then carried me up bridal style from the floor.


You: Why are you here?



Osborn: Of course to save you, otherwise what else? I told you before, even if I had to cross the mountain of blades or to get through the seas of flames*, there's no need for you to be afraid.


*T/N: Reference from this chapter.


His lips curved up a little, as if he's laughing at my silliness. But my gaze have already fallen onto his shoulder.


The shoulder area on his shirt have been burnt into a few long, narrow holes, and the brown scars from fire grazing over his arms are all so eye-catching.


I'm unable to imagine how he managed to barge in.


Suppressing the soreness I feel for him, I pulled a corner of the fire extinguishing mat from myself, and gently covered his shoulder, worrying that I would cause him pain if I touch him any harder.


Only startled for that one instant, Osborn suddenly held me even tighter.


He drooped his gaze, the lights in his gaze flickered quickly, as if he's finally confirmed something yet he dared not to believe it.


Then, he bent his body, and shielded my head with an arm.


Osborn: Let's go.


I nodded, after feeling relaxed, the heavy feelings of exhaustion have struck me once again, and I couldn't hold on and shut my eyes.


By the time I woke up, I'm already sitting in Osborn's car. The originally dirty pair of hands are now clean as before.



Osborn: Awake already?


Seeing me being fine, he pulled a plastic bag, and took a bottle of liquid herbal water*, and handed it to my lips.


*T/N: The herbal water is 藿香正气水 (HuoXiang ZhengQi Shui) that is used to "induce diaphoresis and clear away summer-heat, to resolve damp and regulate the function of the spleen and stomach". Consider reading the wiki for more information.


Osborn: Drink it, you had a heatstroke just now.


The bottle exudes a bitter and spicy smell, I frowned.


Osborn: Want me to feed you instead?


He spoke as he leans forward, and it looks like he's about to pinch my cheeks.


You: Don't don't don't, I'll drink it myself.


I quickly took it over, pinching my nose, and forced myself to drink it.


You: It burns!


Osborn: Open your mouth.


A candy suddenly popped into my mouth, the sweet lemon flavors have dissipated the bitterness very quickly.


You: Thank you...


After staring at me for quite a while, Osborn then let out a sigh, then stayed quiet.



Osborn: Alright, as long as you're safe and sound.


I nodded, then looked out from the windows. From the rear view mirror, the smokes are just like tornados, still continuously moving upwards.


Firetrucks have completely surrounded the area, with the eye-catching orange uniform came in groups, walking against the crowd as they dash into the building on fire.


Although I'm now safe, but to recall what happened earlier still gave me fears.


Why did our building suddenly caught on fire? Did everyone escape safely? How will the fire burn my house...


Countless questions lingered in my mind. Although I'm saved, but it feels like there's still a heavy stone pressing onto my heart.


I definitely can't go home now, what should I do? I am not quite brave enough to live in the hotel.


I kept considering myself as someone brave. If it were in the past, I will definitely not having such concerns.


But-- Unsure if it's because of the frequent disasters in Guang Qi city, or this sudden fire that happened all of a sudden, the unknown feelings where it feels like accidents will descend at any moment made me extremely afraid.


I took out my phone in hesitation.


You: Hello? An An, can I stay in your place tonight--


The phone in my hand was suddenly taken away by Osborn, and the call was hung up.


He buckled up my seatbelt for me, stepped on the accelerator, and drove into the night.



Osborn: Come with me.







Alternatively, feel free to check out other translations for Light and Night here!


If you'd like to support my translations, feel free to contact me for commissions or buy me a ko-fi here!


Until next update! :)



Translates on an irregular basis, works on short bursts of energy, suffering in muscle spasms. Travelled from north to south of Japan but would go back again and again. Also a polyglot.