Light and Night Main Story Chapter 8-23 (NIGHT END) - Belated Midsummer (迟来的盛夏) | Light and Night 光与夜之恋

11/12/2021 12:13:00 AM 0 Comments A+ a-

 

Previously on Chapter 8-22... (read here)

Or alternatively, read Chapter 8-23's Light End here!


"Osborn, you will never be able to protect the ones you wanted to protect." 


Blood is still dripping from his wrist. He carried the girl horizontally, and left without looking back.



The skies right now aren't anything close to the thunderstorm skies earlier. The stars are now filling the skies, and the yellow full moon can be seen as soon as I raise my head, and the moonlight generously pours to the mortal world. Unknowingly, even my heart has became at peace.



Until the car stably parked at the entrance of the community area, and I walked home after bidding farewell with Osborn. I kept feeling I forgotten something, but I can't recall it.


On the car, I asked Osborn a lot of things, about Zhao Ze, LONGDAY, and about each action of Osborn's.



Sitting on the sofa, I tried my best to chase the scary and worrisome thoughts out of my head, letting myself to calm down.


"Cuckoo, it's now 8PM Beijing Time,"-- The wall clock announces the hour.


You: Oh no!



I quickly ran downstairs, and stopped a taxi.


You: Hello sir, heading to Grand Theater of Guang Qi, the faster the better!


The driver stepped on the pedals, and rushed all the way.



You: Hopefully I can make it on time.


However, the Murphy's Law has told us, if we are worrying more for a certain situation to happen, then there's an even higher possibility for it to happen.


For instance, right now--


The car is already stuck in the main road for 10 minutes. Despite the green light have brightened a few times, there's no signs for the car to move forward.



Driver: It's Friday, so traffic jams are normal.


I looked at the fast-changing time on my phone's screen, and I can't hope to immediately have a pair of wings to fly over.


You: His performance will start at 9PM!


Jesse's message: Have you arrived? Have you seen your design outcome? It looks really good and dreamy, the audience have exclaimed so many times. As expected of our great designer Y/N!



Jesse: I'm about to go on the stage, it's my first time being this nervous. Just thinking that you're now watching, I wanted to show my best performance.


I stared at the message, it feels like his grinning and serious expressions are appearing right before me.



You: Sir, I'll get off from here!



At the bustling and crowded backstage, Jesse looked at the message interface repetitively, and he can't hold back from smiling widely.



The melodious piano sounded, and the thundering applause could be heard. Dressed in white, he stepped up to the stage under everyone's anticipations.


The golden spotlight shines on him, and through the refractions of the glass shard, projecting circles and circles of blurry light halos over his pale face.


The angelic singing voice circles in the air, it's so wonderful just like the colorful dreams.


I panted as I pushed open the theater door, but I only managed to see the curtains slowly falling over this dream.


Jesse held the hands of the participants standing by his side, and bowed deeply towards the audience.


After the endless applause and cheers, the audience's expressions of how immersed they are, are all telling how spectacular this competition is.


I still didn't make it. I let out an internal sigh, leaning by the walls, and clapped enthusiastically. 


The competition ended, the crowd is gone, and the lights are gradually shutting, with only the staff remaining to tidy the stage.


I hesitated, I didn't know if I should look for him.


But Jesse has already walked towards me. He has already changed from his performance outfit, only wearing a simple T-shirt and jeans, looking completely refreshing.



Jesse: How was it? I didn't embarrass you, right?


I am not daring enough to look at him.


You: Let me tell you something, don't be angry, okay?


Jesse: Each time you say something like this in the past, there's always something bad happening.


You: Was there?


Jesse: The first time you said this, was the time you broke my game console.


You: ......


Jesse: The second time you said this, was the time you cooked expired instant noodles as my supper.


You: ......


Jesse: The third time--



You: Enough!


Why do I have so much of dark history?!


Jesse: Just say it, I'm mentally prepared.


You: Uh, actually the song earlier, I only managed to listen to the last five seconds.


Jesse: ......


I can obviously sense him being a deflated balloon, and his energetic brows have drooped from feeling wronged.



You: I'm sorry. I'll treat you to orange-flavored soda and vanilla ice cream, you can eat until you're bloated, okay?


I raised an arm, acting like I'm making an oath. Jesse's originally tensed face suddenly burst out in laughter. 


Jesse: Y/N, why can't I ever be angry at you?


You: Have you forgiven me?


Jesse: I didn't say that.


You: But you said you can't be angry earlier.



Jesse: If you want me to forgive you, then sing with me!


You: --What?


Before I can even understand what's going on, he has already held my hand and ran towards the stage.


The youth is now looking all triumphant, as if he has been planning for this moment for very long.


Just when we stepped right on the stage, the familiar melody sounded right away. In an trance, it felt like I was in another lifetime.



Jesse: Do you still remember this song? We named it together, "Youth's Portrait"!


Why wouldn't I remember it? This is the song I wrote with him for the singing competition back then.


It's a song that we wished to snag the first prize at one go.


It's the song that we didn't manage to sing in the end.


We used to hold on Coke cans as microphones as we practiced until midnight in the empty underground basement.


We were only imitating immaturely when we were at the age where we didn't understand the lyrics, but after years have passed, we realized that each and every line has became our story.


It feels like there's something awakened in the depths of my body, it's the enthusiasm and yearning, and the heartthrobs and purity of my younger days.


My eyes can't hold back from heating up, and I subconsciously sang with him.


(Singing here, lyrics are very roughly translated with no consideration of the rhythm)



That scoop of vanilla ice cream

Melted in our rainy season

That old piano

Plays like the knocking sounds of time


I always loved playing tricks with you

But I won't allow anyone else to make you cry


You have always said I'm gifted

Yet I'll always seek for your tuition before exams


The dragonfly flies over our heads

Our childhood silhouettes were never apart

As we walked closer to our memories


Now I'm the only one sweating on the bicycle

You're long gone from my backseat


If only if the rainstorms didn't block my vision on that day

If only if I knew how to say goodbye on that day


The petals in the diary

The unwashed films of the camera

Are the proofs of us missing each other


If only if the string of the kite didn't snap on that day

If only if I could be a little braver on that day


The empty pages of the diary

Will not be filled with moss

And the seven years of separation will not be thrown away



The lights gathered in his eyes, reflecting me in them, and it has been like this since many years ago.


Every story seemed to have ended on summer, yet it has began with summer.


Thankfully, summers will always arrive. Let the unfinished story to be rewritten again from this summer.






Chapter 9-01 is now updated here!

Or alternatively, feel free to read Chapter 8-23's Light End here!


If you'd like to support my translations, feel free to contact me for commissions or buy me a ko-fi here!


Meanwhile, feel free to check out other translations for Light and Night here!

Until the next update! :)





Translates on an irregular basis, works on short bursts of energy, suffering in muscle spasms. Travelled from north to south of Japan but would go back again and again. Also a polyglot.