Main Story Chapter 9-10: Enslaved Heart (被奴役的心) | Light and Night 光与夜之恋

11/30/2021 06:15:00 PM 0 Comments A+ a-

 

Before reading this chapter, please check Chapter 9-08 first~ (read here)



What surprised me was, there weren't much articles regarding this fire on the internet. When I returned to work on the next day, besides Mao Ge paying close attention to the local news, there aren't much colleagues asking about this matter.


After lunch, I received Sariel's summoning message asking me to head to his office once I'm free.


The tasks on my hand have already reached an conclusion, so I headed straight over.



Thud thud thud--



Sariel: Come in.



I saw Sariel sitting upright before his desk as soon as I pushed the door open, slender fingers typing on the keyboard quickly. He raised his head, and stopped the movements of his hands.



Sariel: Take a seat first. I'm calling you today to arrange your upcoming tasks. Have you learnt about Pristine before?



You: Of course!


I think even to those who have no idea about the fashion industry will not be unfamiliar with Pristine at all.


If I were to say that haute couture is too distant from lives of an ordinary person, then Pristine will be part of our daily lives.


As the sub brand of Warson, it used to be unknown, disappearing within the various sub brands, it's only developed quickly after Sariel's arrival.


He spent a significant amount of time and energy on this brand, making the clothing to take care of both sense of fashion and daily usage, yet it doesn't affect its price positioning.


It dominated the market rapidly as soon as it's launched, from material to design and pricing, there are not a single bad comment on it, and Warson's stocks pricing have also soared.


It is considered a work that Sariel has spent all his heart into it.



Sariel: Originally, all of the designers have to participate and prepare the grand show for next spring/summer season, but now you have two options. One, continue to prepare for the grand show; Two, complete Pristine's design for the next year with me.


You: I can choose?


Sariel: In the fashion industry, whether you'll be succeeding in glory or to be knocked off the pedestal, it's enough to see it through a single show. Hence choices are always more important.


After he finished speaking, he moved his gaze out of the windows, as if he's waiting for my answer.


This period of time has became dreadfully long, there are so many things that I'm uncertain of that I wanted to ask. Regarding the reason behind this suggestion, regarding the direction of the brand's development, and regarding the kind of tasks I have to be in charge of.


Yet as soon as I chose to close my eyes to listen to my inner voice, this period of time became very short.


You: I wanted to be with you.



I noticed Sariel is also smiling at me as soon as I opened my eyes.


He handed a memo to me, there's an address written on it.


Sariel: You don't have to come to the office tomorrow morning, head straight to this place.


You: What do I do there?


Sariel: User research, you have to participate every segment this time. Also, to visit someone.



The second morning arrived very quickly. The address we agreed to meet up at is an old alley, Sariel led me through the long and narrow alleys, and stopped before a wooden door.


He knocked the door. The red paint on the door is already patchy, yet the bronze lock is polished bright.



???: Come on in, the door is open.


A gentle sound could be heard from the inside. Sariel used some strength over his hands, and the wooden door is indeed pushed open.


With a creaking sound, the scene behind the door is completely shown before my eyes.


Although the deep alleys by the entrance is seemingly small, but it's a completely different world inside, it's a well-kept courtyard. There's a miniature version of rockery and streams, with nothing missing in the scene.


There's a lady looking like she's in her 40s dressed in red sitting by the stone table, a thick blanket is covered over her leg, it seems like she's really afraid of cold.


By the time she saw us, a smile bloomed from her face, yet she didn't stand up to welcome us.



Red-clothed woman: Have a seat, Director Qi. It has been a while since we last met, this is?


Sariel: She's my student.


You: Hello, I am Y/N.


She nodded at me in acknowledgment, her aura is very elegant. This move reminded me of a familiar feeling, after taking a closer look at her, a thought flashed past my mind.


She is the model that has always been on shows for Sariel!


She was over 30 years old when she debuted, and there were quite some discussions over it back then. Sariel joined Warson afterwards, and she has also taken a series of modeling photos for Warson.


After that, I heard she had a traffic accident, her injury was a little serious, hence she quit modeling.


I have seen her on the magazine so many times, but she looked haggard compared to the past, hence I wasn't able to recognize her at the moment I entered the door.



Sariel: We are here today in hopes for you to be the still model for Pristine's new products in the upcoming year.


With polite superficial greetings, Sariel told his intentions of visit straightforwardly.


But the woman shook her head with almost zero time spared on hesitation.


Red-clothed woman: Thank you for your kind invitation. Although my body has recovered, but I'm no longer suitable to work as a model. Moreover, it's for such an important brand.


Sariel: You expressiveness is competent, and you are very familiar with the work flow, I can't find any reason that you are unsuitable for it.


The woman's smile exudes her desolateness, then opened the blanket covering her legs.


You: ......!


She's wearing a beige-colored boot cut pants, embroidered with flowers in red and green silk threads.


Yet the flowers are drooping lifelessly, anything under the left trouser leg is empty.


Red-clothed woman: This is the pants I showed at my first job, I purposely bought one as a keepsake. Now it's also reminding me, that I am no longer qualified to show its beauty anymore.


She lifted that bunch of fabric gently, fingertips gliding over softly, such a moment that shows how she valued the trousers have made her decline to exude an unspeakable bitterness.


She probably still really wanted to be a model, but the accident that can't turn back in time forced her into this situation. I can't help but to feel a little sad.



Sariel: I don't think so.


He extends an arm to the woman.


Sariel: Would you?


The woman looked a little surprised, and nodded in hesitation, placing that patch of trouser leg into his palm.


Sariel stood up from the stone stool, half-squatting on the floor, with focused expressions on his straightened back.


He did not use any needles, nor did he used any threads, only fingers gently rolling it.


A knot has gradually taken its shape, the red and green silk threads began to bloom on the beige fabric, spreading along the folds of the fabric bit by bit.


Just like a river, that finally gathers at the end of the stump.


And right above it, it blooms in another gorgeous flower.


The woman was stunned for a moment. She stared at the trouser leg that is rolled up. It's no longer empty, and the petal made sways in the breezes, looking with so much of vitality.



Red-clothed woman: It's so beautiful...



Sariel: I am not designing to show the beauty of clothing.


Sariel's side profile looked so calm yet solemn under the golden sunlight.



Sariel: You do not have to show it, yet it should be the one showing you.


Red-clothed woman: But my body shaped has changed significantly.


Sariel: You can choose a suitable size.


Red-clothed woman: I need to wear prosthesis for shootings.



Sariel: Why not?


Red-clothed woman: What if I have an unreasonable request? I wish to be able to open a slit at the sideline of the pants, and show the metal prosthesis. Telling everyone although I'm not complete, but I'm back.


The woman stated her doubts and concerns one by one, that until the end even her lips are already slightly trembling, and sounding hurried.


Yet Sariel has never uttered a single word of denial from the start till the end.


Her eyes have gotten teary.



Red-clothed woman: Thank you... Ever since the accident, there was not a single day I hoped for my return someday.


The scene before my eyes exudes an unspeakable beauty, perhaps it's the dazzling colors of the boot cut pant, perhaps it's the flower-like knot, or perhaps it's the woman's wavering expressions.


In this instant, brands, achievements, and the markets are suddenly becoming unimportant.


I suddenly understood a little better, each fashion designer looked like they are leading fashion and trends, but in actual fact, they are letting people to put on courage and freedom.



When I walked in the alley again, everything around me became surprisingly attractive.


Cleaned clothes that are being dried hangs above us, and a fresh scent of laundry could be smelled when walking past them. In the half-opened window, the clanging sounds of pots and pans have played into an symphony of the mortal life.


I spaced out as I looked around. Sariel pulled my elbow, and dodged a bicycle that is cycling towards me.



Sariel: You're usually chirpy and noisy, why are you not uttering a single word all of a sudden?


You: I'm thinking.


Sariel: What are you thinking about?


You: I originally wondered, we have so much data from our market research department, so why do we still have to do surveys in person here? But I understand a little now... The place that is the closest to people is where the roots of design is at. Correct?



I raised my head to coincidentally see Sariel's gaze moving away from my face, but I could still capture the acknowledgment and admiration from within.


Sariel: That makes some sense.


You: Don't worry, director, I'll definitely do this survey well!


Throughout the remaining half of the day, we have interviewed many residents. I gradually wrote more and more types of content on the notebook I've prepared for the survey.


From time to time we'll encounter enthusiastic elderlies inviting us for a meal, or to ask for our help to take care of children for a moment. 


Sariel has always been starting out looking cold, showing his silent rejections through his posture. But I forcefully dragged him along with the excuse of "a survey isn't pure enough without experiencing life".


It's proven that even when naughty children are walking their puppies as they circled Sariel round and round, Sariel wouldn't show much of an expression of impatience either.


It's just that occasionally when they play on the main road, Sariel's expression will darken, and the child and puppy would turn completely stiff, then obediently walked back*.


*T/N: In case if you wondered why Sariel's expressions would darken, it's because it's dangerous to play in the main road.


You: Pfft...  Sariel, I didn't expect you to be a naughty child vanquisher and a jinx for pets!



Sariel: Are you talking about yourself? Not only you're a troublemaker, you're also a clumsy bird.


You: Hmph, so you're my jinx then?



Sariel: Wrong, you are my jinx.


Although he's said so, but there was no aura of him that seemed stern, and it seems like there's a smile within his eyes. I immediately turned over, uncertain of why my heart is beating a little faster.


Suddenly, my hands felt light, the note book that I was holding has disappeared.


You: Huh?


A puppy is happily wagging its tail not far away, the book in its mouth looks so oddly familiar, and the cover is already stained with a dark patch of wetness.


You: Good puppy, come here quick.


I squatted down and extended an arm, wanting to coax the puppy over. But unexpectedly, the puppy seemed to have seen through my "scheme", and ran towards the opposite direction without looking back.


You: Hey, hurry and return that book to me!


A childish race of chase immediately begun in this intercrossing alley.


You: Wait up, don't run so fast!


I panted so much from running, and the puppy looks a little worn out too, and slowed down its steps. At the opening of the alley not far away, Sariel's silhouette appeared suddenly.


That puppy immediately braked, its body trembled, then placed the questionnaires down in fear and fled.


You: ......


I chased for so long, yet Sariel only needed to show himself to scare the puppy?


Right then, Sariel has already picked the note book up, and walked towards me.



Sariel: Your head is full of sweat from the chase now. Here.


You: Sariel, I seemed to have read from the books, that foxes are afraid of dogs...


Sariel's expressions immediately turned considerably dark.



Sariel: Stop reading nonsensical books when you're free, it'll affect your IQ easily. Let's go, to the next house.


You: Hey wait for me, how did you do it earlier--


Right behind us, the puppy that fled earlier reappeared again, and aggrievedly whined towards Sariel's silhouette from behind.






While waiting for the next part... feel free to check out other translations for Light and Night here!


If you'd like to support my translations, feel free to contact me for commissions or buy me a ko-fi here!


Until next update! :)




Translates on an irregular basis, works on short bursts of energy, suffering in muscle spasms. Travelled from north to south of Japan but would go back again and again. Also a polyglot.