Main Story Chapter 9-13: Enslaved Heart (被奴役的心) | Light and Night 光与夜之恋

12/03/2021 11:55:00 PM 0 Comments A+ a-

 

Before reading this chapter, please check Chapter 9-10 first~ (read here)



It's already very late by the time we end our survey, we did not return to the office, and Sariel sent me straight home.


Under the winkling stars lies a quiet city, the streetlights on both sides along the road are linked into a line, making the empty roads to look like a river of light.


I can't help myself but to borrow the faint light from outside the car windows, and open the things I have recorded down in my note book.


Although the phrases are either childish or mature, but they all represented the meticulous observations and the creativity came from it.


There's a granny freehandedly drew a dress that she has always been wanting to wear when she was young, and there are also children embellishing a circle of candy doodles on it too.


I can't help but to start laughing, and I didn't notice the car has already parked downstairs. With a click, Sariel switched on the car lamps, a yellowish light poured down.



You: Director, I find today exceptionally meaningful. When we were interviewing, everyone's anticipation, happiness and their enthusiasm towards life made me feel-- Although we are so different, but feelings like this are definitely common among all humans. 



You: If there's something that is more meaningful than self expression and contributing to the brand's success, that would be to allow the recipients to feel that their existence itself is a wonderful thing whenever they wear our clothing. It's enough for them to feel this way, even if it's just for an instant.


I spoke incoherently, yet Sariel is quietly looking at me, with not a sign of impatience shown.


You: Director, I'll try my best to understand designing, understand our brand. Believe in-



Sariel: I believe in you.


You: Eh?



Sariel: I believe you'll definitely do what you say. Even if the sky collapses, you'll also think of a way.



You: Are there no "but" or "however"? 


Sariel: Have I always been such a mood-killer in your eyes?


You: Honestly speaking you're indeed a little...



Sariel: Hm?


You: No, not at all, not a mood-killer at all! Your way of speech makes people find it particularly interesting!


Sariel turned his face away, and only spoke after some time.



Sariel: Knock it off.


Looking at his reddened ears, I smiled as I looked forward, the moon tonight is so beautiful. Although the moon is hidden behind the thin layers of clouds, but it still shines brightly, brightening the road before us clearly.


You: Say, how long do you think I'll need to be as great as you do?


The answer did not arrive, so I turned around and looked at him.


Sariel only stared into the moon, a silvery-white light halo is glowing by his side.


Suddenly, I don't need this answer anymore.


If it's said that design is to stare into life, then the time Sariel has spent staring must've been a lot longer than anyone else.


Although this land does not lack geniuses, but there are little flowers that could bloom without being watered by blood, sweat and tears.


Unsure how long has passed, a series of coughing sounds broke the silence.


You: Director, did you catch a cold?



Sariel: ... A little.



He covered his mouth and turned his face away, his back quickly trembled.


You: Then you should go back and rest early.


I quickly opened the car door, and waved at him from the roadside.


You: Goodbye, director!



Sariel: Uh--


I curiously waited for him to talk, but he have instead moved his gaze away.


Sariel: Forget it, I'll be taking my leave.


You: What's with that...



The car taillight disappeared into the darkness, and I stood in place for a moment, and only then I walked home.



After planning the route for tomorrow's survey, in order to recharge my energy, I quickly entered into slumbers.


In the windless corner, the curtains are rustling. The window is quietly being opened, a giant yet shapeless beast snuck into the dark night, and leaned against the bedside.


Its eyes glisten like jewels.



Beep beep beep-- Beep beep beep-- The alarm sounded continuously, announcing the beginning of a brand new day.


I hid in the blankets in frustration, but I still can't chase the sounds of the alarm away, so I can only push the phone away from me.


Thud-- something fell together with the phone to the floor.


I finally climbed out from the bed with difficulty, and by the time I saw the item on the floor, there was an instant that I thought I'm still dreaming.


I lied back to the bed, covered my blankets properly, and closed my eyes.


Until my mood has calmed down, I opened my eyes again, mustered my courage to look to the floor, the scene before my eyes almost tripped all of my senses completely.



The Spirit Ring, no, or should I say the Spirit Ring with its gemstone turned pink is now quietly laying beside my phone.


This isn't a dream.


I freaked out as I stared at it, even my limbs have turned cold, and I have succumbed into a never-before-felt fear.


I trembled as I opened my phone, finding the chat record with Evan, the few messages of returning the Spirit Ring is still there, it is something that have in fact happened.


The gaze stopped at the familiar profile picture and phone number, I took a deep breath, and dialed the number.



Evan: Hello?


His voice is low, seemingly sounding a little tired.


You: I'm sorry for disturbing you so early. But there's something important that I have to tell you, it's about the Spirit Ring--


Evan: Are you home now?


You: Hm? Yeah that's right.


Evan: Wait for me a little. If you're feel afraid, there's no need to hang up the call.


You: How do you know I'm... afraid?


Evan: Your voice is trembling. Let's take this time to chit-chat about anything, something relaxing, alright?


Sounds of footsteps are gradually heard from the other end of the phone, then the sound of the car engine starting, and the bustling sounds on the streets, noisy yet warm.


After a little over ten minutes, just when I mentioned about the new task I am working on, the door bell has sounded.



Evan is still wearing his decent-looking suit when he stood at the entrance, only his face exudes some exhaustion.


Evan: Tell me, what happened to the Spirit Ring?


I closed the door, and showed him the Spirit Ring in my hands. A sliver of surprise flashed before his face.


You: I saw it as soon as I woke up this morning. I've definitely returned it back to you before, I really don't know why it reappeared again...


The tensed shoulders are gently held by Evan, his palms are warm and powerful. My vigorously-beating heart has calmed down.


Evan: Y/N, don't panic.


He leaned down, putting my messy hair to the back of my ear, then stared into my eyes seriously.



Evan: Just leave the rest to me. If you are not feeling well today, then rest well at home.


I nodded in hesitation.


You: But...


Evan: CEO can't allow his employees to work in sickness, if anyone are against it, then tell them to see me.


His gaze turned into a consoling curve, sounding very casual.


You: Okay, thank you.



The elevator door closes behind Evan's back, he stared into the ring in his palm, and fell into deep thoughts.


As son as the Spirit Ring returned to the Strains, it has been securely protected, how did it get here? He didn't manage to link it all together before, but now that he thought of it, its anomalies seemed to be all related to the girl.



Just when he walked out from the community area, a black business car has been parked by the entrance as it waited.



Zhou Yan: Boss, the master found the Spirit Ring has gone missing, he wishes to see you now.



As soon as Evan pulls open that heavy wooden door, the elderly who's standing with his arms over his back and Lu Ting has been waiting for a long time.


Evan: Uncle, you're here too.



Lu Ting: I originally had something to request for the Master's instructions, but obviously the disappearance of the Spirit Ring is much more important.


Evan: I am here to exactly report about this matter.


Lu Ting: ......


Ignoring Lu Ting's gloomy expressions, Evan respectfully opened his palm, and revealed the Spirit Ring in his palm.


Lu Ting: Spirit Ring?! Why is it with you?



???: Evan, I need an explanation.


The elder did not turn around, but his voice carries full alertness and oppression in a much huskier voice compared to the past.


Evan: Yes. I've taken the Spirit Ring away in order to investigate the reason of its power loss.



Lu Ting: Oh? If that's the case, I suppose my good nephew has already caught onto something from the investigation.


Evan: It's a pity, I haven't.


Lu Ting sneered mockingly, but before he can even speak, the elderly has interrupted him.


???: Evan, you'll have to report to me if there are any changes towards the Spirit Ring.


Evan: Yes. I will protect it securely.


???: No, what I need is the whereabouts of the Spirit Ring.


Evan: Master, perhaps you may tell me a little more clearly.



???: Do you still remember the reason I summoned you back to the country? According to the records of the Strains, part of the soul of that person is still remaining in the Spirit Ring. When she awakens, the Spirit Ring will lead us to her.


Evan: Does that person that you mentioned really exist, Master? We tried showing the Spirit Ring to the public, but we have yet to retrieve any answer.


???: She has already awakened twice, yet the Strains have never caught onto the opportunity, this is the last...



Evan: Understood.


Lu Ting: Master, for the Spirit Ring to have lost its power, does it mean for that person to have already appeared? I think I might have some clues, could you pass the Spirit Ring to me--


Evan: You still have important things to do, so you shouldn't trouble yourself in this matter, uncle.


???: Lu Ting, you have to retrieve and destroy the remaining vessels as soon as possible to avoid attracting attention.


Lu Ting: Yes. The matter I wish to seek your instructions is also related to this. We have already breached the limits we had in the past-- At this time being, any humans from all age groups can be a vessel for the Strains, and make the soul transfer of the Strains a reality. Project Eclipse could still aid us to achieve our glory. Master, I will continue...


???: We don't have much time left, we can't afford to bring up another problem.



Lu Ting: But Master--


???: Evan, whether we can grab onto this opportunity is all up to you now.



The winds blew outside the windows. Evan only gazed into the grey skies and nodded. He did not realize Lu Ting's gaze is now quietly lingering on himself, as if it has been frozen.



The rainstorms of the early autumn came so quickly as the dark clouds lay low.


The night has fallen, as if someone has pressed the switch of the changes between day and night.


The raindrops hits the eaves like intensive soundtracks, as if there's an important episode about to be shown on this bloody red stage.



Zhou Yan: Boss, do you wish to return to the office?


Zhou Yan opened the umbrella, the rainwater flows off from the umbrella, converging into thin streams of water that even washed off the staircase that it became white.


Evan: We'll leave after the rain stops.


Zhou Yan: Understood.


Under the pouring rain, everyone have been running away, only an elderly with a hunched back still standing in place, cleaning the dirt of this garden.


Zhou Yan looked towards Evan, after receiving his nod of acknowledgment, he handed the umbrella to the elderly.



Evan: You seem to have not taken a leave to return home for a long time.


Zhou Yan: Everything are fine at home.


Evan: Find a time and have a look back home, while it's not busy.


Buzz buzz-- The handphone in the pocket suddenly vibrated, it's a message from the girl.



My WeChat: Thank you for your holiday, CEO Lu, but I'm already feeling much better, so I'm heading to work in the afternoon. How about you? Has the problem been solved? If you needed me, I can help you out.


She was clearly very afraid in the morning, but she seemed to have forgotten the danger now, and returned to her usual vitality.


He seem to be able to imagine the girl smiling as she supported her cheek with an arm as she typed these words.


And her pair of clear eyes, that it will make him to feel pity if stared at them for too long.


He closed the screen, without replying.


Evan: Tell me her itinerary for these couple of days.



Zhou Yan: Yes. Boss, regarding the Spirit Ring this morning... Do you need me to investigate it?


Evan: No need. I already have my speculations.


Zhou Yan: Speculations?



Evan: The Spirit Ring will protect whoever wears it. Create a disaster, and the answer will reveal itself.


Sounds of rain is getting gradually louder, covering everything, as if it will never end forever.





While waiting for the next part... feel free to check out other translations for Light and Night here!


If you'd like to support my translations, feel free to contact me for commissions or buy me a ko-fi here!


Until next update! :)




Translates on an irregular basis, works on short bursts of energy, suffering in muscle spasms. Travelled from north to south of Japan but would go back again and again. Also a polyglot.