Main Story Chapter 13-09: Witness of the Past (过去的证人) | Light and Night 光与夜之恋

6/14/2022 09:58:00 PM 0 Comments A+ a-

 

 Before reading this chapter, please consider reading Chapter 13-07 here!






You: So you mean, because you overspent your powers, and your spiritual powers became unstable, so you can only make an appearance as a fox for the time being?


The big fox-- No, I mean Sariel that I've just carried back and sitting on the bed looking a little weak, nodded.


You: Then why are you still able to speak in human language?



Sariel: I'm an Erda.


You: Then in a case where others heard you speak, wouldn't they be scared?



Sariel: Others can't hear me. Only those I want them to listen could hear me.


You: Oh... that's so impressive...


I stare at him without turning away, that I've even forgotten about the dangers earlier.


From the sharp ears to his tail, from the sparkly, glass-like eyes to his slender limbs, then towards his meaty paws, that I can't even hear what he's telling me.


I've seen his fox ears popping out from his head before, but I've never seen him as a fox itself. For someone tall like Sariel, turns out that his actual form is this small.


Although he'd definitely roll his eyes at me if I were to describe him with the term 'cute', but he's really cute! His fur looks very smooth, it must be exceptionally good to the touch...


As though he's gotten impatient from my stares, Sariel can't help but to shake his fur.


Sariel: Have you been listening to me?


You: -- Ah? What?


Sariel: I was asking you, is your wound hurting? It's the best for you to have it tended.


You: It's much better now, don't worry.


He then lets out a long sigh. Although I can't understand animal expressions, but my instincts are telling me that he must've been feeling rather frustrated.


Knowing that he overspent his powers after he's just regained consciousness, I can't help but to feel a little guilty.


You: I'm sorry, I've caused you to become like this.


Sariel: It's not your fault.


After a pause, the snow-white fox lowers his head, even the tips of his ears drooped along.



Sariel: It's him who forcefully wiped your memory off, I was just stopping him.


You: Wiping... my memories?


I recalled about what happened seriously. There was indeed an odd feeling when I was being controlled by the elder, it was as though my memories were detaching form my body bit by bit.


But how could something so magical happen to me?!


You: I heard you addressing him as "Elder", he's a boss among you Erdas, right? But I'm just an ordinary human, why is he treating me this way?


Sariel: He's probably targeting me. So what he wants to wipe off was-- probably all of your memories related to me ever since you participated Warson Prize.


You: All memories related to you?!


No wonder I suddenly felt like I was in a trance at a certain instant, where I don't know why I was appearing in the hospital.


You: But... That's not right, even if I forgot about it, everyone around me would still remember.



Sariel: Then they might probably the next batch of targets. By the time those who've forgotten are far more than those who remember, even if those who have firmly believe in their memories will begin to doubt themselves.


That's right, memories are personal, but "facts" are a standard answer for all humans.


If memories of the majority have all disappeared, then even if the "facts" have actually happened, it will no longer be meaningful.


I recalled the scenes that flashed before me in the ambulance. So were all of those really my memories with Sariel that has been wiped off?


I don't understand the reason why the elder of Erda wanted to do this again and again, I only know, that this time, I absolutely don't want to forget anymore...


I looked up, and just as expected, I met the pair of golden beast eyes.


Sariel has already laid down, front paws holding onto the edge of the bed, fluffy head placing on his paws, and he looks really tired.


It's just that the pair of eyes are still gazing at me with full focus, as though he's afraid that I will disappear.


You: Sariel, I will absolutely never forget about you. Who would ever forget such a cute fox?


Sariel just grinned, and he was probably about to smile, but after hearing the last half of my sentence, he ended up bumping my chin with his head.


You: Director, you bumped me!



Sariel: This is the consequences of sprouting nonsense.


I really wanted to ruffle Sariel's head with all my might, but even though he's a fox right now, but the glare he sends me is the exact same as the one from Sariel himself.


So I can only shyly kept my arm back, and switch the topic of conversation.


You: By the way, there's something I forgot to tell you. Actually, before you found me, the elder has already let go of me, and even fell on the floor. As if he was bounced off by something, and he was also saying something like... "God's Power"?


The pair of droopy ears suddenly bounced up. Sariel looked up, and the confusion from him is definitely nothing lesser than mine.


Sariel: What else did he say?


You: No more, it's just that he seems to be very surprised, and also a little fearful.


Subconsciously clenching my fist, I don't think I can explode any powers that would make people fear of me. But I can't ignore the elder's response during that instant.


You: The existence of Erdas and the Strains* are already very shocking to me, but the divines... do they really exist in this world?


*In case you're wondering about what they are, read here.



Sariel: I don't know. Because I've never seen them either, I've only heard about them being mentioned by the elders. In the legends, Erdas were originally the messengers of the divines. The gods obeys the orders to the God of Creation, and created humans. But humans were unwilling to be enslaved, so their revolt caused the God of Creation's anger.



Sariel: The world was burnt into ashes, and the gods shed tears against the rules, and extinguished the disasters of the mortal world. The God of Creation was enraged, and turned her messengers into flora and fauna, and banished them into the mortal world. She then repressed all of the gods that supported her into the depths of the seas.


You: So, if Erdas exist, then the gods should exist too, right?


Sariel: I'm still saying the same, I have never seen them, so I can't be certain about it. Moreover, there are also many similar legends among humans too.


You: Well that's true too... Then, Director, do you believe in the existence of the "Gods"?



Sariel: I've never believed in them. So you don't have to mind the elder's words as well.


You: Okay!


I nodded aggressively, so he can feel reassured.


Sariel has never seen a god even if he has lived for so long, who knows if it's actually just a legend.


Moreover, even if this bizarre "God" really does exist, I probably wouldn't have the chance to meet one anyway, so why should I worry and be distracted about it?


I smiled towards Sariel. Under the moonlight from outside the windows, his face really does look like the descendance of the God's messenger into the mortal world.


Sariel: Y/N.


You: Hm? What's wrong?


Sariel looked out towards the window, and his pupils gradually turn into a thin line.



Sariel: You should stay the night for tonight, the room in there is a resting room provided for family members.


You: ... Huh?


Sariel: Huh what, do you want to encounter yet another danger? Someone will pick us up from the hospital discharge tomorrow.


I understand that Sariel is worrying about the follow up actions from the elder, so I no longer decline him.


However, just when I was about to purchase some cleaning products from the supermarket downstairs, I suddenly realized a huge problem.


You: I didn't bring my pajamas, what should I do?!



The sleeves are still a little loose even if I've rolled it up twice, and I've also picked the shortest pants, but it's still dragging on the floor when I'm wearing it.


Sariel lent me the clothes he hasn't worn before. After taking a shower, I tidied myself while looking into the mirror, but no matter how I tried, I looked like a child secretly putting on an adult's attire.


But the fabric is soft and delicate, that its touch on the skin feels extraordinarily comfortable.



The hospital shuts its lights very early. It's only 8PM, but the surroundings are already quiet.


Looking out from the windows, the outer world is still bustling with evening lights. The building I'm currently in feels just like the ruins standing in the flourishing city, a complete mismatch.


It's probably because I'm not used to sleeping this early, or it's probably because there are too much of bizarre things happening throughout the day, I laid on the bed, and I'm not feeling the slightest sleepiness at all.


Just then, a voice quietly sounded from the door.


I looked towards the slit under the door, the fluffy balls of snow white claws loitered, stopping occasionally, raising one of its paws as though it wanted to knock the door, but ends up placing it down.


My heart is filled with tenderness. I can't help but to jump off the bed, and knock onto the door.


You: Director?


The claws under the door's slit paused. I heard Sariel answering me softly.


You: I'm having some difficulty sleeping, how about you?



Sariel: You aren't trying to say that you want to listen to some sort of bedtime story, right?


You: Forget about "Secret Garden" already, I've read it to you thrice. You can't go out with how you look right now either, how about we watch TV together?


I heard a sigh in disdain from outside the door, and I knew he has agreed to it with this response.


Sariel opens the door and nimbly hopped onto the sofa. I sat beside him, and pressed on the remote control.


The TV in the hospital are older, so there are only a few channels that we can watch. At last, there's only a single cringey idol drama that is still barely watchable.


You: How about we go with this one?


I thought Sariel would yawn in boredom within five minutes. But he ended up staring at the screen, and he seems to be a little into it.


You: Sariel, have you watched idol dramas before?



Sariel: I never watched them.


You: I forgot that you only like listening to crosstalks.


Sariel: ......


You: Hurry and look! The male and female protagonists reunited!


Sariel: So?


You: Usually at times like this, misunderstandings will be resolved, or they will go past the obstacles, and finally ending up together.


Sariel: What happens next?


You: Next?


Sariel: Yeah, after they are together.


You: There's probably no nexts, I think. Just like fairytales, the princess and the prince live happily ever after, and the story ends. But there's also another type of ending. The two of them had no choice but to be separated again because one of them encountered a car accident or reasons like cancer. They've spent so much of effort and time in misunderstandings and arguments. It was so hard for them to be together, but the ending seems to be even sadder.



Sariel: Separation in life and parting by death is the one and only unchanging matter in this world.


You: I know. It's just that, you see, when two person are very much in love, they will often forget that parting is a norm. Say, if the male protagonist knew about their ending, will he choose to be acquainted to the female protagonist?


A long time has passed, but Sariel hasn't answered me.


From the corner of my eyes, he closed his eyes, that I can even hear the heaves of his breaths. I thought he fell asleep, so I softly called out to him.


Sariel: He will.


You: Eh?


He suddenly opened his eyes, turned towards me, and looked at me seriously.



Sariel: The endings you said earlier, are there many of those?


Just when I was about to inquire further, he has already switched the topic of conversation.


You: It was popular for a period of time, but there aren't much quickly afterwards, nobody likes watching them.


Sariel adjusted his posture in curling himself up and placed his head onto the sofa's handle. His round eyes reflects the scenes from the screen, exuding some confusion.


You: Do you find these endings more interesting?


Sariel shook his head.


Sariel: I'm only feeling, that it seems like everyone are persistent on having a good ending.


You: It's probably because the process itself had a lot of ups and downs, if there isn't a good ending, then what's there to anticipate about?



Sariel: The reason why humans are willing to travel down the path, is because there's something that they still wanted. Even though they knew they might not attain it in the end, but since they want it, they won't give up so easily. So the ending isn't something that they should mind to begin with, regardless if it's good or bad.


You: Well maybe... But even if they don't care about it themselves, there would still be others who care. Friends, family, everyone that have paid attention to the efforts and hard work will care. Not only would they care, but they will definitely also be unable to help themselves from praying, and hope for them to have a happy ending.


Sariel: So do you like happy endings too?


[Choice]



Light: I like them

Night: I can't tell


[Light: I like them]


You: Of course I do. Did you know? Mao Ge from our team confessed to Jiang Lai, everyone were super excited. Rather than forgetting each other in the world or to miss each other with regrets, although a happy ending is cliche, but it's the hardest to come true. It has to dodge countless moments of misunderstandings and accidental happenings, and only can be achieved after overcoming the fear, humbleness and restlessness, and much more uncontrollable elements.


Perhaps having myself recalling many people and happenings, I can't help but to say a lot about it.


Sariel only watches me as he listens quietly, tail patting onto the sofa occasionally, making pleasant sounds.




[Night Choice: I can't tell]


You: I can't tell. But when I watched dramas in the past, I still think the ones with sad endings are the most meaningful, touching and memorable. Things like happy endings or the sort are too cliche.



Sariel: What if it's what happens to yourself?


You: To myself? Then a happy and fulfilling ending would be better.



Sariel: It's not cliche anymore (when it comes to you)?


You: How could my own life be called as something cliche? Moreover, if I really feel very happy, then let it be cliche then. I don't want to keep experiencing separations in life and parting by death... I really dislike those feelings.


I didn't even notice that my voice was trembling. I only suddenly noticed Sariel has already leaned towards me, entangling his fluffy and soft tail onto my palm. 


It's just like a tiny hug.


The theme song in the TV sounded at a perfect timing. On the screen, the male and female protagonists smiled as they gazed at each other. The drama ended.



You: Then what about you, director?



Sariel: I only think that endings doesn't equal to everything.


At that moment, I suddenly had a premonition, that he seems to have already know about his ending.


Because it can't be helped, hence he's accepted it; Because it has been accepted, hence he's calm about it.


But I hope for my premonition to be just a misperception.



Sariel: I'll send someone to set up a barrier around your house tomorrow. Although there's a barrier, but you've still got to take care of your safety when I'm not here.


You: Huh? Where are you going?


Sariel: To do something. It's related to the Erdas.


You: Then you--



Sariel: I'll also take care of my safety.


You: Okay.


As though he's afraid that I'm not feeling reassured, out of the blue, he nuzzled his chin against the back of my palm again.


Sariel: I'll go to bed now, good night.


He leaped off from the sofa, then bite a corner of the curtains, closing the curtains well, and left my room afterwards.


You: Good night, Sariel.



It's 1AM. In the southmost of Guang Qi city, Zhou WeiCheng arrived the outsides of a can factory based on his memories.


Nobody remembers the past name of of this place before the factory was built -- Yu Da Academy.


Everyone's sights will always be refreshed by newer and different news. They are pure and innocent, and they believe that the eerie and frightening shadows are long gone.


Only Zhou WeiCheng knows that the shutdown of Yu Da Academy didn't stop the progress of Project Eclipse, nor it can truly shake the foundations of the power behind it.


On the contrary, they learnt to use more wonderful methods to cover up their crimes, winning people's hearts to create new occlusions, and continue showing themselves off under the broad daylight.



Zhou WeiCheng found the laboratory of the past, and to his surprise, he noticed that this place wasn't transformed. Although it's very tattered, but he could still see the placements of the past.


He searched in the cabinet, and finally saw the familiar culture flask.


The label has been long torn off, but he remembers that the other half of the soul was sealed and store in here.


He carefully pats off the dust, and looked into the bottle.


As though it has noticed him, the weird substance began to twitch. It's like the flames in combustion, and also like the flowing sands. It's flowing, and it looks so pure.


Zhou WeiCheng still recalls the gaze with no yearning from the youth back then, only requesting him to destroy this part of his soul. But he thought that perhaps the youth would regret about it in the future, so he retained it softheartedly.


This is the soul that he parted out with his own hands, it will be the best evidence for the experiment!


Zhou WeiCheng heard his heart thumping. He opens the metal cork, staring at the ball of soul exiting from the bottle, and floating mid-air.


The soul looks very happy, it's dancing, and even circled around Zhou WeiCheng again and again.


It's still as clear and beautiful as ever. There was not a single trace of it being invaded by evil.


???: What noise is that? Who's there?


Zhou WeiCheng startled. The torchlight flashes over. He heard a clang before he could manage to dodge.


Under the moonlight, the man who was approaching suddenly lets out a scream, and collapsed onto the floor in a thud, with his hands burning with azure flames.


The burnt skin immediately got peeled off, that even the bones are burnt into a light brown color.


The burnt smell in the air made Zhou WeiCheng incapable of holding back but to retch.



Zhou WeiCheng: ?!


Suddenly, he heard a very soft singing voice, humming a melody.


After a light chuckle, its a youth's voice of righteousness.


??: He's the factory manager of the factory, he's planning to abandon his workers and run away with money.


Zhou WeiCheng has indeed saw a luggage by the man's side, because of collision, the cash notes are scattered all over the ground.


??: I was originally thinking that he's going to succeed in his plans. Thank you, Professor Zhou, for letting me out.


Zhou WeiCheng felt creeped out, that the instincts in his blood made his eyes scarlet for a single instant. He took a step backwards, and examined the soul in full alertness.


At that moment, he suddenly understood on what exactly the scorching vitality that he felt from this soul is.


He's not a soul of a human's, nor it's from a Strain, nor an Erda.


That's probably what the professor has said, it's the thing that only exists in the legends... the Power of Gods.


But why did it do that?! Isn't it the purest, kindest part of that youth's soul?


Zhou WeiCheng is completely regretful. If it were to say that he was surprised over this soul's existence, now, all he wanted to do is just to escape from this place.


??: Professor Zhou, why are you afraid? Only the bad people will be punished. You are a good person, I won't harm you. You were forced to abandon me and leave back then, but you're at least back now.


Zhou WeiCheng hasn't managed to say anything, and the ball has already gathered into the shape of a ball, glowing in a white light. It's continuously shaking, as though something is breaking out from within.



??: The old look is still better.


Limbs, hair, mouth... have gradually grew out from the ball of soul. Zhou WeiCheng rubbed his eyes, as though time has reversed, and he saw that 15 year old teen once again.


Zhou WeiCheng: You...?!


??: Don't you remember this face anymore? I'm Osborn.


He smiled at Zhou WeiCheng, and just when he was about to leave, he suddenly paused, and walked towards Zhou WeiCheng.


A giant sense of suppression pinned Zhou WeiCheng to the ground. He widened his eyes, watched the youth reaching an arm out, but only to wave it towards him..



The night is quiet. Half an hour later, Zhou WeiCheng walked out from the can factory. He looked like he's lost, and has completely forgotten what he has just experienced*.


*I'm suspecting the other half of Osborn's soul could control minds and even perhaps memory, but I'm not 100% sure.



.
.
.
.
.


Chapter 13-11 is now updated here!

Until my next update, please feel free to check out other translations for Light and Night here!


If you'd like to support my translations, feel free to contact me for commissions or buy me a ko-fi here!



Translates on an irregular basis, works on short bursts of energy, suffering in muscle spasms. Travelled from north to south of Japan but would go back again and again. Also a polyglot.