Main Story Chapter 13-03: Witness of the Past (过去的证人) | Light and Night 光与夜之恋

6/05/2022 12:03:00 AM 0 Comments A+ a-

 

Before reading this chapter, please consider reading Chapter 13-01 here!




You: Drawing book, pencil, the latest magazine...


After keeping these in the bag, I placed "Secret Garden" in it too. I arrived the First People's Hospital building as usual, and Sariel's ward is in the highest floor.



It's not even 7AM, but it's already crowded here.


When I pass by every bed and every ward, I could hear whines and sighs, sadness or grief. They are so different, yet they are also so similar, that the pressure they give out are suffocating.


After staying for a long time under an environment like this, humans will subconsciously become numb to it, nor they can feel the flow of time. They are just like a moth trapped in a glass bottle, only able to crash itself left and right towards the light outside of the bottle.


I can no longer differentiate today's date, nor to know which day of the week today is, only clearly remembering that it's the 15th day since Sariel became unconscious.



You: Director, I'm here.


Opening the ward's door, I habitually adjusted my expression into a smile.


Although I knew he can't hear or see me, but I still had to say it.


On the bed, Sariel is laying quietly, and it feels like even his breathing has stopped, and his face is so pale that I can't bear to have another look.


Besides the calendar on the bedside rack that has over ten pages being flipped over, and the flowers in the vase being changed after it's wilted, everything else are just the same as the day he was admitted.


After changing into new bouquets of flowers and opening the curtains, I sat by the bedside, flipped "Secret Garden" open, and continued reading.


Everyday, I'd visit Sariel at the hospital before and after work. Sometimes I'd read books to him, or tell him what happened recently, or sometimes just not to do anything, only sitting by the bedside, quietly accompanying him.


Thankfully, Sariel's indicators are improving every day. Despite he's still not awake, but I believe that the day will come.


It doesn't matter how long it'll take. 


You: "But Colin had actually dropped back against his cushions, even though he gasped with delight, and he had covered his eyes with his hands..."



You: "And the sun fell warm upon his face like a hand with a lovely touch. And in wonder Mary and Dickon stood and stared at him..."



You: "“I shall get well! I shall get well!” he cried out. “Mary! Dickon! I shall get well! And I shall live forever and ever and ever--!”"


Perhaps it was because my current mood is a little similar to the protagonist in the story, my voice trembled as I read, even my nose is gradually feeling sore.


I pestered Sariel to read bedtime stories to me back then, and he can't argue over me, so he finished reading this book. I could still faintly remember that I complained about him reading emotionlessly, coldly, just like a robot.


The bustling days seemed to be close before me, but everything became different in an instant.


I placed the book away and leaned on the edge of his bed, fingers gently brushing along his figure.


You: Director, did you know? The crisis in Pristine has been solved. Everyone said that the show was unprecedented, and your efforts have not gone to waste. By the way, I went to your house two days ago, and fed Little Lizard. But it doesn't really eat what I fed him, so it became much skinnier, what happens if it dies of hunger if you aren't waking up? Also, I've recently drawn a few design drafts, but I can't find the feeling in drawing. I think, it's probably because you weren't guiding me.


There's wind that suddenly brushes over Sariel's fringe. The few strands of silvery white hair waves, that I can't help but to have a misperception that he is about to open his eyes.


However, I've waited for a long, long time, he's still not awake.


He's so close to me, just within an arm's reach, that I can even see the stubbles and the thin hairs on his cheeks.


They are all growing, and are growing in vitality, but why can't Sariel wake up?


The little anticipation that the winds have brought me is drowned by the overwhelming dejection.



You: Director Qi, shouldn't you be saying "you're too noisy, clumsy bird" at times like this? Or should I say, do I have to talk bad about you so that you can wake up? Since you'll always catch me whenever I secretly talk about you behind your backs.


I rubbed my heating eyes, and held Sariel's hand.


You: I'll start with it okay? Your mouth sprouts the most venomous words, there's never a repeated pattern when it comes to insulting people, and you can even do it for days and nights. I don't even know how you can manage to think of these. 


You: Did you know that I was stunned from shock because of you from the very beginning at Warson Prize's stage? I was even thinking, why does this person speak with no mercy?! I could only muster up enough courage to talk to you afterwards*.


*Referring to Chapter 1-16.



You: By the way, did you know how everyone described you? They said you're just like an iced mountain, that each time you smile is just like the blossoms of sago cycas*, they even gave you a nickname "Qi Si Ni".


*Reference to Chapter 2-05  and 11-05.



You: You are also always talking against your heart. A normal sentence sounds completely different when it's spoken from your mouth. You're clearly expressing your gratitude, but you just had to say it as "I don't need your excessive concern". You clearly liked it, but you just had to say "who would like things like this? Since you just had to give it to me, then I'll reluctantly accept it". You clearly were sour from jealousy, but it turns out to be "I have a light taste, never have I eaten vinegar"*. If you're doing this again next time, I'll expose you in public. Anyway... Anyway I'm not scared of you now, might as well as wait for my wings to harden, and I'll fly away myself.


*Reference to his call 



??: How dare you.


You: Of course I dare to, I'm--


My voice paused, because I heard another voice.


He said, "how dare you".


I stunned as I looked up. In the translucent light, the pale man with his pair of eyes that were tightly shut earlier has already widened his eyes, staring at me.



Sariel: Why don't you continue saying? You're what?


I seriously considered many, many types of scenario when Sariel wakes up.


For example, Sariel was coincidentally opening his eyes when I opened the door, and our gaze exchanges in surprise.


Or for another example, he suddenly voiced out and complained that I was too noisy when I read stories while leaning on the edge of his bed.


But that was just an imagination that flashed before my mind, used to battle against the probably endless times while waiting for him to wake up again.


Yet, right at this moment, I'm not dreaming, nor it's an illusion. I saw him frowning, and the blur of him just waking up is in his golden eyes.


Though weak, but the beating of the pulse in the wrist I'm holding is so real.


My tears fell, unsure if I should cry or to smile. I wanted to say something, but I could only sob when I opened my mouth.



Sariel: Why do you always cry whenever I'm with you? And you're even crying in such an ugly manner.


The familiar words made my stopped tears to break out once again.


You: If you... find it... ugly, then... don't look...



Sariel: You're the only person in here.


He didn't refute or glare at me like how he'd usually do, but to stare at me in a particularly serious, tender manner, and the yearning in his gaze is obvious and direct.



You: Sariel...


sorry for the amount of screenshots I am just too happy and look at his smile aaa


Sariel: Mm.



You: Sariel, Sariel, Sariel.



Sariel: I can hear you.


You: You're talking so normally, I'm getting unaccustomed to it.


Hearing what I say, Sariel smiled without feeling baffled.



Sariel: Weren't you just complaining that my mouth was venomous? I've indeed underestimated you, you're not just a sparrow when you started muttering, it's a flock of sparrows. You're so noisy that my head hurts.


You: How much did you hear?!


Sariel: Not much, it started from the part where you said my nickname was "Qi Si Ni".


You: ...... I purposely said that in order for you to wake up.


Sariel (sarcastic): Then am I supposed to praise you for being smart?


You: I'm very humble, just with normal intelligence, but if you are going to praise me, I won't mind it either.



Sariel: ... I'm too lazy to deal with you.


I burst out in laughter. Sariel is still merciless in his words as before, but this is how he is.


I spread my arms, and gently hugged him.


You: I've been living well throughout this period, and I've been drawing drafts well. I'll also watch you to eat and rest well from now on too. How would I be daring enough to fly away? There are so many things that I have yet to learn from you.


What responds to me is the slightly cooling palm covering on the back of my hand.



Sariel: Understood. Clumsy bird... that won't fly away.


The last sentence he spoke was told very, very softly, but I could still hear it.


Dear time, please, I beg of you, please allow this moment to move a little slower.


Although Sariel insisted that he is already fine, but I still pressed the bell to call the doctor to have an all-rounded check for him.


Sariel: No need, I know my own health.


You: No, you don't even know about it, otherwise why would you be so tired that you fainted on the stage? It took so much effort for you to wake up, this time, I won't listen to you. Moreover, everyone are very worried about your health.



Sariel: Everyone?


You: Yeah, there are people visiting you from the company every day. When you fainted back then, we originally wanted to send you to the nearest hospital, but CEO Lu asked them to send you to the First Hospital. He said, this is the only place that can treat Erdas. Everyone are waiting for your recovery, so you have to listen to us this time.


Sariel remained silent for a few seconds, but finally showed a faint smile in the end, and nodded.


The checks would require a very long time, so I plan to make arrangements for work back in the office, so I can report it to Sariel later, and make him feel reassured.



The moment I walked out from the hospital, the sky is finally sunny after a long time. Although half of it is covered by the clouds, but it still feels warm.


Spring is about to come.


I suddenly understood why people have been describing spring as a season where plants, animals and humans are all happy about.


Because snow melts, the cold winds will disperse, and the daytime will be longer. By facing days where it's gradually becoming lush, people will subconsciously grasp onto hope, and that's our instincts.



.
.
.
.
.


Chapter 13-05 can now be read here!

Alternatively, please feel free to check out other translations for Light and Night here!


If you'd like to support my translations, feel free to contact me for commissions or buy me a ko-fi here!

Translates on an irregular basis, works on short bursts of energy, suffering in muscle spasms. Travelled from north to south of Japan but would go back again and again. Also a polyglot.