Main Story Chapter 13-05: Witness of the Past (过去的证人) | Light and Night 光与夜之恋

6/06/2022 01:04:00 AM 0 Comments A+ a-

 

Before reading this chapter, please consider reading Chapter 13-03 here!




Being impatient as I am, I told everyone about Sariel regaining consciousness before I have even reached the office. My phone vibrated non-stop for half an hour, and the cheers have been continuously flooding the group chat.



Right when I just sat down at my desk, Mao Ge ran over with his phone, saying that he'll be treating us milk tea in order to celebrate Director Qi's regain of consciousness.


Mao Ge: Thank heavens, I've got to offer my gratitude for the blessings from the temple, Buddha is surely blessing us.



Li Manman: I've told you about this already, the tarot cards are telling me that Director Qi will be blessed. There, I've ordered the milk tea. If Mao Ge is treating today, I'll be the one treating tomorrow.


Hao Shuai: Wait for me wait for me, I haven't placed my order!


Hao Shuai suddenly pushed the door open, looking panicked as though he just did something guilty. He raised a mug and took a big gulp of water, then leaned towards us mysteriously.


Hao Shuai: You must've not imagined it, I've heard a big gossip from the restroom, it's regarding our PR director.


Mao Ge: What is it what is it?!



Hao Shuai: He resigned, while telling everyone that it's because of health, but I think it definitely has something to do with the PR incident last time. I've also heard that the new PR director has already been confirmed, and he'll be on duty a few days later. Not sure if it's true, but I heard that he is scouted by our CEO from overseas.


Mao Ge: Good lord, you've overheard so much haven't you!


Hao Shuai: The more I listen, the more I find it odd, it feels like I'll be slaughtered if I got found out, so I quickly ran back.


Li Manman: So is our CEO helping Director Qi to readdress the issue? Since the PR department was helping the outsiders back then, and they never thought of clearing the rumors properly.


Mao Ge: It isn't that simple, the old PR director is someone loyal to Lu Ting. If the news are real, then the current PR department is now belonging to the CEO. Our CEO Lu is so impressive, I'm announcing that he is now my newest idol--


???: What are you guys gathering around for?


We were all shocked by the voice, and all looked up and towards the source of the voice, turns out it's Jiang Lai.


Mao Ge: What brings you here? Are you looking for me? By the way, wanna drink milk tea?



Jiang Lai: I'm not drinking, didn't you sent me fruit juice this morning already?


Mao Ge stunned for a couple of seconds and suddenly flustered. Manman, who's standing on the side can't help but to let out an "oh~" intently.


Li Manman: Oh~ Turns out someone has already sent a drink huh.


Manman and I exchanged glances, and snickered together in jinx.


Hao Shuai: Mao Ge, what's the thing that Jiang Lai has a hold on you this time? If I didn't know you had someone you like, I'd really believe that you're liking Jiang Lai already.


As soon as that was being said, Mao Ge stunned, Jiang Lai became in a daze, the smiles on Manman's and my face are gone, and the entire office became quiet.


And the culprit is still scratching his head innocently, and looking towards us in a blur.


Hao Shuai: Why aren't you guys saying anything? Did I say something wrong?


Li Manman: You didn't say anything wrong, but if we won't save you if Mao Ge is going to beat you to death later.


Mao He has no intentions to spare his attention to Hao Shuai, only to wave aggressively at Jiang Lai, completely flustered, looking panicked and angry.


Mao Ge: I do have someone that I like, but it isn't as what he said, Jiang Lai, listen to me--


Jiang Lai: What's there to explain, and is there even anything to explain? It's not me anyway! I- I don't care who you like either!


Mao Ge: How could it be unrelated to you? The person I like is--


Hao Shuai: It's indeed related to you, and it's such a coincidence, the girl Mao Ge likes has the surname Jiang, she's also a junior from your school.


Jiang Lai: ... Also from our school?!


Hao Shuai: That's right, nothing can go wrong with this, he said it himself. But I heard that the junior didn't get into Warson, what a pity.


Mao Ge: That's not it--


Jiang Lai: I don't want to talk to you ever again! Don't you follow me!


Jiang Lai's voice sounded teary. Her head that is usually high up in arrogance is now drooping, placing the paper box in her arms onto my desk, then turned away.


Jiang Lai: I'll leave after I'm done talking about work.


Mao Ge: Jiang Lai, I lied to them, it- it's because I don't want to you to be gossiped about--


Jiang Lai: It's now working hours, dear colleague, please do not disturb me. Y/N, this is what Mr. Bob asked me to pass to you. He said that the information and documents related to Pristine are all inside. He's now outstation, so he asked me to pass it to you. Here--


Her voice trembles more as she speaks, that she ended up running out without finishing the last sentence.


Mao Ge: Jiang Lai!


Jiang Lai: Don't call me that way in the office anymore. Not even outside!



Mao Ge: I- I'm not allowed call out to the person I like too?!


Jiang Lai: ...?


The plot twist was too quick, that Jiang Lai is completely stunned, staring at Mao Ge in a blur, blinking continuously. It seems like she isn't believing her ears, but she really wanted to believe it.


Manman and I quickly exchange a glance of relief, leaving Hao Shuai to be the only one in shock.


His has the expression of "What is Mao Ge saying, is Mao Ge crazy? Jiang Lai, hurry and scold him? Wait no, why is Jiang Lai flustering, Jiang Lai is crazy too, right? Or am I the one going crazy?" written all over his face.


Jiang Lai: What nonsense are you talking about!?


Jiang Lai stumped and ran off while covering her face. Leaving Mao Ge standing pitifully, turning around, and looking at us to seek for help.


Mao Ge: ... Am I now being rejected?



Li Manman and You: What are you waiting for? Hurry and chase after her!


Mao Ge: I- I- I- I'll go right away!


Li Manman: Y/N I'm so overjoyed! Mao Ge has finally took action! Why do I have the urge to tear up? Ah, as expected, whether in love or not, humans love watching others in love. I've got to hurry and tell An An, she has been wanting to see this for the longest time.


Y/N: Even An An knows about it?


Li Manman: Look at Mao Ge's timelines, he'd look for Jiang Lai whether he's eating or going to bed, any human could see it, except Hao Shuai.


Hao Shuai: No wait, what do you mean except me, what's happening with those two?!


It took Hao Shuai a good hour to understand the situation. He shook his head, and said he'll be Mao Ge's support to make up to his mistake.


Manman too, followed over out of curiosity.


You: I'll give it a pass, I'll have to sort these documents, you guys can go ahead.


Li Manman: Alright, we'll broadcast it to you in realtime!


I opened the box Jiang Lai sent, it's indeed all documents related to Pristine.


You: Why is Bob handling stuff from Pristine to me?


Throughout the period when Sariel is hospitalized, Bob has been helping out to manage Pristine. Now that Sariel has regained consciousness, wouldn't it be fine to hand it to him after he's discharged from the hospital?


I've decided to ask Bob about it, but right when I tapped on his icon, I saw the message he left me.


He said, now that the crisis of Pristine is solved, and Sariel has also regained consciousness, it's now the best time to return the brand to us.


Besides this, there's one more line.


Bob's Message: As the future person in charge of Pristine, I hope you will bring good to the brand after Sariel leaves.


After Sariel... leaves?


I stared at the words for a long, long time, and I haven't been able to snap back to reality after a long time.


Suddenly, I recalled Sariel's speech when the show ends.



Sariel: Thank you for every team member in the venue for your long-term efforts. It's a pleasure... to work with you.


Right, he collapsed too suddenly, that I didn't manage to understand what he said completely. Now that I think of it, it is obviously sounding like a farewell.


So... is Sariel leaving Warson? Has he made his decision before the show? But why?


Countless questions gushed into my mind. I told myself to not panic for now, perhaps it's just temporary, like perhaps he's going to travel somewhere far, or he had some important private matters to do.


But self-comforts like this are pointless to me, I actually knew that parting really means parting, it's a farewell, it's to go somewhere far away. Yet, he didn't tell me a single thing.



After locking all of the documents into the shelf, I boarded the bus towards the hospital again.


I think, I really do not have the courage to see Sariel disappear for the second time.



Right now, in the First People's Hospital of Guang Qi, the door for Sariel's door is knocked.


Sariel: Please come in.


Charlie: Director Qi, hello. I'm Zha LiSu, we've met before.


Sariel nodded, and felt no surprise to the man's presence.


He knew that this man is working in this hospital, it's just that he looked very different from the time he saw him in the garage compared to how he's donned in a white cloak now.


Sariel: Hello, Dr. Zha.



Charlie: I knew you don't welcome me, so let's be frank. Here, have a look at this.


Charlie spreads a thin, folded paper open, and handed it to Sariel.


Sariel: ... Laboratory test results?


Sariel felt somewhat strange, yet after he understood everything after browsing every laboratory test results on the paper.



Sariel: You're saying that the laboratory results on this paper are too normal and makes too much sense, correct?


Charlie snapped his fingers clearly.


Charlie: That's right.


Charlie: I find it odd, so I did another test again. Guess what I've found from your blood?


Sariel: What is it?


Charlie: DEA. You can consider it as a type of psychotropic drug, but it'll cause death with the slightest overdose. It has never been sold in the market, so there are very little people who will have their hands on it. It's colorless, with a very faint smell of lead. I am guessing that the medicine or food you've taken are mixed with DEA. Someone didn't want it to be examined, so they changed the laboratory result. But it's a pity that I couldn't find your original result despite searching throughout the hospital.



Sariel: Since they wanted to swap it out, of course they won't leave a trace for the original. How could it be possible for it to be found?


Charlie: Looks like you already have an idea on who changed the laboratory results.


Sariel: It's not hard to guess it.



Charlie: After intaking DEA, it's generally undetectable after 72 hours have passed. But it's been over ten days, and there's still DEA remaining in your body. It's clear that you've taken a large amount of it. In simple words, someone wants you to die.


He originally thought he'd see fear, or shock, or at least anger from Sariel's face. However, Sariel has been calm from the beginning, and simply placed the laboratory results on the bedside rack.


Sariel: Thank you for letting me know about this.


Charlie: You're welcome, it's my duty as a doctor. However, how do you plan to handle this? Just leaving it here?



Sariel: Someone wishes to let me see it. So if I'm not placing it in somewhere obvious, how could they feel reassured?


A low chuckle spilled from Charlie's throat. He nodded in acknowledgment, then placed the laboratory results onto the center of the table.


Charlie: Well this would be the most obvious.


Sariel looked up understandingly, and met Charlie's mocking smile.



Charlie: Although the Zha family has cut off ties from the Erdas, but I'm still very clear of how the bunch of old folks do things. They are always thinking they are high up, so opinionated and hypocritical.


Hands in his pockets, he slowly walked to the entrance.


Charlie: Director Qi, be more alert of it. This is a reminder from the doctor.


As he speaks, Charlie opens the door, but has never left, but have been seemingly playing with his hair unintentionally, elbow facing Sariel, seemingly wanting to attract his attention.


At last, Sariel finally look around, noticing that the other party has finally noticed the patch of cloth that was sewn, that Charlie has finally placed his arm down in satisfaction*.


*MC patched it before.


Charlie: Oh, I accidentally teared it, fiancee was the one patching it for me.


The temperature of the ward seemed to have decrease a little.


Sariel stared at the patch for a while, and somewhat angrily picked up the "Secret Garden" from his bed.


The familiar cover of the book made Charlie ponder deeply. He began to recall where he has seen this book.


Right! When fiancee walked into the hospital two days ago, hadn't she been holding this one in her hand?!


Sariel raised the book a little higher, facing it directly towards Charlie, then raised his head after flipping a few pages.



Sariel: Thank you for your concern, Dr. Zha.



After the heavy footsteps left the ward, Charlie prepared to take another trip to the laboratory. Suddenly, a weird falling sound of metal sounding from the hospital chief's office.


Charlie stopped his footsteps in alert, and listened carefully.


He smelled the extremely faint smell of lead once again. His instincts are telling him, that something dangerous is about to happen.


However, ten minutes have passed, and there are no more weird sounds coming from the chief's office. The smell has also disappeared, as though it was just Charlie's hallucinations.


He then quietly stayed for a while longer, and only turned away after there are no anomalies. 



A slit opened from the office door. The elderly in white hair stares at Charlie's leaving silhouette and pondered.


That is the son of the Zha family that broke off from the Erdas and moved overseas over 20 years ago. However, how did he get to know Sariel?


Dr. Li: Elder, what are you looking at?


Erda Elder: Nothing, I just happened to recall something from the past. I'm the one that has underestimated Sariel's sealed power, even DEA can't kill him. It's fortunate that you've changed the laboratory test results, that he wasn't suspicious of it.


Dr. Li: This is the last time, we can't deliberate make decisions ourselves anymore. We have to obey the Supreme Elder's arrangements for our actions in the future.


Erda Elder: But you knew about it too, the Supreme Elder wants to let that future happen again, and he's betting on a possibility that can change the past. But the past would never change, the Erdas should not be stubborn on this matter, that would never be possible to help our kind to seek a method of survival. My disagreement in opinion starts from the day they met, so might as well end everything on that day.


The chains on the elder's hand clanks along with the movements of his arms. Dr. Li understood that the elder will never waver regardless of what he said. He can't help but to shake his head, and look towards the strict face.


Dr. Li: Elder, I used to respect you in the past, but now, I'm even afraid of you.


Erda Elder: Facing the great situation, good and evil are no longer important. Things have now progress to this extent, and nobody can turn back anymore.


Dark clouds blocked off the sunlight, and it's now windy outside the windows.


.
.
.
.
.


Chapter 13-07 is updated here!

Until my next update, please feel free to check out other translations for Light and Night here!


If you'd like to support my translations, feel free to contact me for commissions or buy me a ko-fi here!

Translates on an irregular basis, works on short bursts of energy, suffering in muscle spasms. Travelled from north to south of Japan but would go back again and again. Also a polyglot.