Main Story Chapter 12-19: Savage Game (蛮荒游戏) | Light and Night 光与夜之恋

5/26/2022 11:39:00 PM 0 Comments A+ a-

 

Before reading this chapter, please read the previous chapter here.

.

.

.

.



On the following day, I arrived the office very early in the morning.


I've read the post I've posted after reaching home for many times, and I noticed an increasing numbers of supporting voices, that my mood have subconsciously been lifted.


The official account of the magazine publisher An An works in has also released a post, even with the proposal letter Mao Ge written yesterday, and clarified some of the rumors about Sariel's bad temper.


The clothing material and the fire are also proved to be unrelated, and the discussion about Pristine's quality is changing towards a good direction.


However, the email to recover Pristine from the company has yet to be sent despite so long have passed, nor there was a reply from the PR department, so I still can't feel completely relieved.


I've asked Sariel about it, but he only said to do everything as usual, and spared no words on other matters.


The lack of manpower made him to shoulder a lot of work. When I left the office at midnight, I could still see his office lighting up like starlight.


The office building will is always warm with the air conditioner during winters, that my mind can't help but to feel groggy after staying in for the whole day.



You:  This won't do, I'll have some fresh air downstairs.



However, misfortunes only pile up on one another. Right when I stepped out of the office gates, I noticed that the main entrance is already crowded by the media.


You: It's now late night...


I tried my best to shrink myself into the corners in attempts to sneak out from the side of the wall, but I've miscalculated my moves.



Reporter A: Madam, judging at your lanyard, are you an employee of Warson Design Center? May we have your opinion on the halt of the brand Pristine?


You: I--


Reporter B: There's internal intel that exposes about Mr. Sariel has been fired. Does this mean that the rumors of Mr. Sariel's plagiarism is true?


You: Of course not--


Reporter C: May I ask if Mr. Sariel is also a supercilious person with terrible temper in the office, that he has been in many conflicts with colleagues? You can tell the truth, we will keep your identity anonymous.


I don't know if I actually spoke, because any voice of mine are all drowned in the sounds of questioning and shutter clicks from the reporters.


The frustrations of being incapable of explaining myself, I can feel it all now.


You: Anyway, the director has very high standards towards designing, so he's strict whether it's towards others or himself.


Reporter A: So you're indirectly admitting that Mr. Sariel has plagiarized?


You: No! Inspirations and creations are never unprecedented, you can all check the professional accreditation on designer websites. Please do not make reports on rumors of false accusations, I beg of you!


Reporter D: You claim that these are all rumors, then may I know what the truth is? Why is the internal announcement of the company announcing an instant halt of the brand? Is your reply a general statement that your company made all employees to answer?


You: I--


What is the truth? The truth is that there aren't any problems with Sariel or the brand. As for the rest, I don't know anything.


The reporters are aggressive, with lights continuously flashing around me, that it's so blinding I can't even open my eye. The crowd is pushing around, that the microphones have hit my shoulder numerous of times.


Reporter B: May I know if Mr. Sariel is currently in Warson, can we--



??: So noisy.


Turns out that things like this could happen, where all of the bustling noises stopped in an instant.


At the end of the crowd, I saw Sariel standing right there with a stern look.


The pair of beautiful golden pupils are now filled with anger, staring coldly.


You: Director Qi...


The reporter that first realized what happened has already aimed the camera towards him, yet on the next moment, the movements were forced to halt by the sharp glare.



Sariel: I suppose your work isn't to affect others' work.


Reporter A: Then, Mr. Sariel--


Sariel: Don't you understand what I've just said?


He dragged me behind me, and completely blocked me off with his tall figure.


Sariel: Leave this place, along with your equipments.


His words didn't sound anywhere inappropriate, only his voice sounded like it's soaked in a spring of ice.


But the hand that's holding me, is very warm.


Without caring about the reporters, he led me as we stride forward.



Wrist being tightly held, even though it hurts a little, but different from the dull pain I felt earlier, I'm feeling completely safe. 


At first, there were miscellaneous footsteps chasing behind us, but gradually, even the sounds of footsteps have disappeared.


When will we stop? Even if we aren't going to stop, it doesn't seem like a bad idea either.


Until we've arrived an empty street, Sariel has finally stood well.


He stared at me, his originally concerned gaze is replaced by anger after examining me.



Sariel: Why did you respond to them? What's there to tell them?


I stunned for a moment.


You: I can't possibly say nothing, right? They would simply write anything if I don't say anything, and you'll be badly depicted even further.


Clarifying is still better in comparison. Although it was chaotic, that my response were almost based on instinct, but the more I think, the more I think I wasn't wrong.


Sariel: Just let them write. I don't care.



You: But I care.


Sariel: ......


Sariel: Why would you care for something fake?


You: Who cares whether it's real or fake, who would even like to see someone they believe in to be framed like that?!


Sariel's silvery lashes trembled, but he didn't refute me, a rare sight from how he'd usually do.


You: I just wanted to protect you at the best that I could--


Just like how you've countlessly helped and protected me.


But why did it end up with you putting this to and end for me...


The neon lights dazzles along the street, and his short silver hair is veiled with a thin layer of light.


You: Say, do you think what happened today will be reported? They'll probably say you have bad temper again... Perhaps you were right, I shouldn't have argued with them, then you wouldn't be coming here to help me to get out of the situation. What do I do? If they were to add other rumors in... I'm sorry...


The more I think, the worse the situation gets, that I'm in such a panic I'm about to cry.



Sariel: I'm sorry.


You: ...?


His voice was too softly spoken, like the whispers from the winds.


I stunned, and I thought I was hearing things.


But the cold voice indeed came from Sariel.


I have imagined many times on situations he'd say "sorry", not the kind of apology after stepping onto someone by accident, but the real kind of apology.


However, there's no way for me to imagine it. Sariel has always been right, even if he's wrong, he'll beat around the bush and apologize in other words.


But right earlier, he said sorry to me.


I stared at him, and shook my head lightly. Although tears have flowed out, but I'm feeling happy. The complicated emotions intertwined, and I suddenly burped out of nowhere.


Right then, even Sariel can't hold back from smiling.


Slender fingers brushed under my eye, the lightly calloused fingertips caresses my cheek, and accidentally spreads the dampness even further.



Sariel: You're so ugly when you cry. I should really take a photo of how you look right now.


You: Don't look if you find it ugly.


Sariel: I've already seen it, also, I'll remember it.


You: Remember it?



Sariel: Yeah, remembering it for my entire lifetime, I'll recall it to kill boredom.


You: Why would you do that?!


I glared at him, pretending to look angry, but Sariel only smiled, and have been staring at my face. It feels like he's really going to remember how I look with my undried tears.


I rubbed my eyes in embarrassment. My tears veiled a layer of soft light for Sariel, making him to look much gentler.


You: Director, you look really good...


Sariel: ......


Sariel's pupils immediately widened, and with a pop, two sharp ears bounced out from his head.


You: !


Sariel is shocked, and the expression on his face looks like he's trying his best to force the two ears back, but it didn't work, so he can only turn around in panic.


W- we are now in the streets! I looked around in panic, but thank goodness there aren't much people passing by, plus the lights are dim here...



[Choice]  




Night: Block his ears for him

Light: Pretend to not see anything




[Night Choice: Block his ears for him]



You: Uh, director, how about I block it for you?


A grit is heard.


Sariel: Turn away.


You: Huh?



Sariel: Hurry, turn away.


You: Okay...



[Light Choice: Pretend to not see anything]



You: Director, actually, uh, I didn't see a thing.



Sariel: Are you treating me like a fool?


I quickly covered my eyes, but I still can't help but to peek between my fingers.


You: Director Qi?


Sariel: What?


Wow, it moved again.



You: Nothing, I'm just calling out to you.



It's midnight, the temperature dropped drastically, but my cheeks are very hot, and it doesn't feel cold at all.


By the time the ears have both disappeared, Sariel immediately held my hand and stride forwards. The long shadows stretches on the floor, making him to look a little lonely.


I quickly followed his footsteps. The two shadows under the streetlight are standing shoulder to shoulder, with one longer than the other.


You: Sariel?



Sariel: What now?


You: Actually, I heard that they are going to have an internal audit throughout the entire Pristine design group. But there aren't any news anymore in the end. You've negotiated with them, right?


The winds didn't answer me. But I knew, he has admitted to it in silence.


We walked as we made small talks.


I suddenly had a wonderful feeling, that it feels like everything will become different from today onwards.


Because this man right beside me, is becoming different.


And I'll also remember this day well, I'll remember it for a very, very long time, remembering it for my entire lifetime.



With a creak, the sound of the door opening is sounding clear in the midnight building.


Sariel looked up from his work. There are just too many sudden visitors in his office, that he's already used to it.



Bob: CEO Lu just told me that the new product show for Pristine will be held as usual, and allow me to provide assistance as much as possible. I suppose this is what you've persisted.


Sariel: It's what I've persisted.


Bob: Do you know that this decision is zealous? Warson is in dire states, and as a sub line, Pristine is incomparable compared to other brands. It's only wise to give up on it. Sariel, you're an employee of the company, you have to be responsible to the company.


Sariel: I am a designer.


Bob: We are all designers.



Sariel: I will only be responsible towards my works and consumers. There are no problems with the quality and designs in Pristine. Since I am not guilty, then I will not allow a halt of activities.


Bob opened his mouth, but he couldn't find words to refute him that he got a little frustrated. Sariel drooped his gaze, and gazed across the picture album on his table.


Sariel: Have you seen the new product for Pristine's current season? There's a collared dress with candy patterns.


Bob: I saw that, so what?


Sariel: The inspiration for that dress came from a 70 year old elderly with her 5 year old grandchild. They don't usually surf the internet, nor they knew about Warson or Pristine. But if there's a day where they happen to see this dress by coincidence, they will feel happy.


Bob: What are you trying to say?



Sariel: The name of the brand will disappear, but the design wouldn't. I do not wish to attend to trifles to neglect the essentials.


Bob looked at him with a complicated expression, only to lower his head after a moment, and scoffed softly.


Bob: Sariel, turns out you're someone like this.


Bob suddenly had a thought, it feels like he has only just learnt about this person before his eyes that he has always hated and compared himself.


Bob: I have never agreed to your design concepts, but what proves who's better should be time and works, and not rumors.


Yet his expressions seemed to have became much relaxed.


Just like the moment he heard that the release show for Pristine is going to be held as usual, his first response was to let out a sigh of relief.


Bob: I don't feel settling to be in the position as a person in charge.


Sariel: You should feel a little more settled.


Bob: What do you mean? Are you leaving Warson?



Sariel: Coincidentally, there's something I'd like to tell you.


Bob: When?


Sariel: Very soon.


Bob: Why are you leaving?


Sariel: This is none of your business.


Bob frowned. The feeling of winning without a battle makes him extremely uncomfortable.


Bob: Say it.


Sariel: After my departure, I wish Pristine to continue existing.


Bob: I wouldn't doubt that you can turn the reputation for Pristine this time. But before you take over the brand, it has already had the fate of being dismissed for its poor sales record. With the lack of a good team, I fear that it'll be difficult to continue from now on.



Sariel: With Y/N in the design team, she will be able to have the capability to lead the brand forward.


Bob: Her?


Sariel: Although her personality is a little out of character, liking to be truthful, and there are even times where she acts on impulse...


Bob stunned as he watches the faint, fading smile exuding from Sariel's face.



Sariel: But she is a talent worth to be developed, and she is also a honest and generous person. You don't have to be hostile to her because of me.


Sariel's probably the only one that could request for help so confidently, and even countering them.


Bob gritted his teeth, and can't help but to feel a sliver of shame.


In the bustling, busy backstage, he has once criticized this rookie designer, and his wordings back then were indeed not spoken purely.


He still had a lot of doubts, for instance, why did he persist to hold the grand show, but also saying that he's about to leave very soon.


Or why he appreciates Y/N so much, but not taking her away.


But he didn't ask in the end.


Bob: I'll take note.



Sariel: Thanks.


After nodding at Sariel, Bob left the office. He turned his head and looked towards the night skies, there's a meteor gliding across the skies.


The phone on his table brightened, and a message popped out.



Lao Li's Message: The medicine I said last time has been prepared, when do you plan to collect it?


Sariel picks up his phone, but did not reply immediately. His fingertips hovers above the screen, with only a sliver of weak tremble that only he can feel.


He stared at it, until after a long time has passed, that the tremble has finally stopped.



.
.
.
.
.





Alternately, please feel free to check out other translations for Light and Night here!


If you'd like to support my translations, feel free to contact me for commissions or buy me a ko-fi here!


Until next update! :)

Translates on an irregular basis, works on short bursts of energy, suffering in muscle spasms. Travelled from north to south of Japan but would go back again and again. Also a polyglot.