Main Story Chapter 12-15: Savage Game (蛮荒游戏) | Light and Night 光与夜之恋

4/14/2022 04:55:00 PM 0 Comments A+ a-

  

Before reading this chapter, please read the previous chapter here.

.

.

.

.



By the time I arrived the office, I am welcomed with this scene.


Sariel is sitting upright in front of his work desk, expressions particularly focused when he is browsing his computer.


It's sunset, and the entire room is dyed in an orange-red tone. It's unlike the colors that makes people feel sad, but it felt a little like sunrise.


Is he now looking at the related news to this incident? Will he see those unsightly comments?



Night: Knock the door

Light: Don't disrupt him




Night Choice: Knock the door


I subconsciously clenched on the envelopes in my hand, and softly knocked the door.


No response.


You: Director?


Still no response.


He is reading so seriously, that there is a sliver of childlike confusion showing from his face.


Light: Don't disrupt him


I saw him slowly laying down, head placed on his crossed arms, but his gaze is still fixated onto the computer.


The faint light from the screen pours onto his face, making him to look like an abandoned child sitting under a streetlight.


I turned around, and I can't help but to feel soreness in my chest.



So I quietly retreated sideways, reaching an arm out, and softly caressed the name plate with his name that is hanging on the wall.



My line of gaze drifted towards the familiar pot. I squatted down, and stared at the bird looking up with its chest high.


You: This is too lonely.


I took out the half stick of chalk from my pocket, and started doodling on the walls of the pot.


First adding a little fox, drawing a pointy pair of ears, and I accidentally crooked the fox's mouth, that made it looking a little unhappy.


I'll add three little birds then. So there will be a total of four, all flapping their wings to make the little fox happy.


??: What are you doing again? 


A cold voice sounded from behind. This scene feels very familiar, it seems like he'll always catch me each time I'm doing something "bad".


I only stood up after I'm done drawing every image.



Sariel: Are you treating my office as a kindergarten?


He took at a glance at the pot.


Sariel: The drawing is too childish.


You: What do you mean it's childish, isn't it lively? Isn't this me that you're drawing? A smart little bird.


Sariel: You're wrong, it's a little bird that crashes everywhere. Do you want to be a quadruplet by adding another three?


You: Who said that these are quadruplets? These are all different sides of me!


I pointed at the pot, and showed each of them to him.


You: This is me who is sad when I see the little fox is sad too.



My lips curved downwards as I spoke, showing an expression of grievance. Sariel turned away in disdain.


You: This is me when I know there's someone bullying the little fox, I'm very angry!



I stood akimbo, changing into an angry expression. Sariel glanced over, and frowned helplessly. 


You: This is me making silly faces to make the little fox happy.



I pressed on the tip of my nose, lips opened, and made an ugly silly face. Sariel can't hold back from letting out a smile.


You: There's still the last one.


I pointed towards the earliest bird.


You: The little birds wants to tell the little fox to not be sad, it'll always stay by his side...


The moment my voice died out, Sariel have instead suppressed his expressions, and gazed away.



Sariel: What sort of silly nonsense are you saying? Birds have a lifespan of 70 years, and an average lifespan of foxes is only 10 years. There's no way for them to be in each other's company. There aren't much people that have lesser common sense than you in this world.


You: Director, I am just making an example, so that wasn't serious...


Sariel: The group email is already sent, I'm no longer director.


My chest still wrenched in pain, so I shook my head aggressively.


You: You are the director, Director Qi. I'll address you eight hundred times a day, and I'm going to address you  as director for eight hundred times too.


Sariel: ...... Then you should take a look at the news.


You: Those are not true! You didn't plagiarize, also you're an Erda, your time is perhaps different from normal humans. This is what I think. That design draft is your work in the past, right?


Sariel looked at me with some surprise, so I gazed right back at him too, with not a single blink.


Until. my eyes feel a little sore, and until his slender eyelashes slowly closed up.


Sariel: So what if that's true? Are you going to use this ridiculous explanation to prove that I didn't plagiarize? Nobody will believe it.


You" I believe so. I have always been believing in you.


Sariel stunned for a moment. It seems like he has something that he wants to say, but he ended up changing the content.


Sariel: What brings you her?


You: There's something that I would like to show you.


Sariel: Are you thinking of applying for a switch of duty too?


Although I can hear that he is joking, but I still waved my arms violently.


You: No no! What are you talking about?! How could I possibly apply for a switch of duty?!


Sariel's expressions seemed very calm. I suddenly feel like he is seemingly really expecting me to take out an application form for duty switch to him.


Does he want me to leave?


How can he think this way?


But I'm afraid that he's really thinking this way.


You: Even if everyone else in the designer group has left, I would never leave.



Sariel: It's not good to be too stubborn.


The Sariel that is usually even more stubborn than I do have actually uttered words like this.


I suddenly feel very upset.


You: Would leaving makes it better right away?


Sariel: Based on the current situation in Pristine, this is a very normal choice.


You: I don't think so. Although the current situation is a little chaotic, but by the time the discussion turns to a bright side, and the reveal show is organized-- Everyone will definitely see Pristine's sincerity and potential.



Sariel: That requires time, perhaps it'll take years. Once trust is crumbled, it is no easy task to rebuild it.


You: Even so, we can still wait for that day to come together.



Sariel: Most people won't have that much of time to waste in their lives.


The last ray of sunlight pours behind Sariel, outlining a golden lining on him, showing his thinning lines on his cheeks.


It's just like... A wooden statue, entrusted with countless hope and sadness, but can only choose to remain quiet.


My brain went short-circuited, and I don't know what I am thinking. I nervously opened my mouth.


You: ... Are you chasing me away?


But he did not reply, unlike how he has always been. For each second the silence increases, the more anxious and sad I feel.


You: You still owe me a fur ball, you aren't going to take your words back are you?


Sariel: What if I gave you one?


You: You still owe me decades of time for me to seek knowledge. You still wanted me to chase your footsteps. Also, also... Anyway there are still so much more! As a director, you have to hone your words.


I squeezed out all of my brain juices to recall the promises we had, and there's no way for me to know what to say to let him take back what he just said. But he suddenly smiled, and from that golden pair of pupils, a certain emotion that could be said as gentleness is slowly exuding from within. 



Sariel: So I'm something you rely on now?


You: Yeah! Huh... So did you agree to it?


Sariel: I still have to consider about it.


You: There's nothing much to considerate about, look, there are many others who believe and support you besides me! Look, this missy!


I pointed to one of the letters.



You: Her family is not rich. Her parents passed away at early age, so she stopped schooling at a young age too. But she isn't willing to admit to defeat, so she self studied while working, and got into university. But she faced a problem when she is in the university. In the letter, she said, she was not confident back then, and she felt like she looked very poor. But good-looking clothings are all too expensive, so she can't bear to buy them either. After that, she found out about Pristine by accident. She originally thought it's going to be very expensive, but she ended up finding it affordable. She said, although she is now grown up, but she is still very thankful for Pristine to bring her a beautiful memory. 



You: Also this mother, she said she bought the child wear from Pristine, and the quality is excellent. The clothes aren't spoiled even if her three-year-old daughter rolls in the mud every day, it'd be even better if there are tiger cartoon prints on it in the future. This auntie also said, the number of clothing option aren't much when we get to the age of 50, it's either the patterns don't match, or they are uncomfortable. It's rare for her to meet such a brand that can consider each and every aspects of hers. These letters are brought from the shift leader from Pristine's factory, they said our brand is a good brand... So you can't give up!


Sariel drooped his gaze and listened to me quietly. Finger caressing on the letter, not showing any expression.


I nervously observed his expressions, and my heart beats quickly.


After a short silence, Sariel looked up, and a faint smile is seen from his gaze.



Sariel: If I weren't going to interrupt you, are you going to be able to talk on your own noisily for the entire day? Did I ever say I'm going to give up?


You: The mail says the brand activities are all going to be paused...



Sariel: If I were to give up, then why am I standing here for?


You: Really?


Sariel: Really.


You: I believe in you!



Sariel: Are you going to believe in everything I say?


You: Of course! Ah no, except when you called me a clumsy bird. I was just being humble for a little, but you ended up addressing me that way ever since.



Sariel: Then who was the one drawing four birds on my pot, and said that all of those are her?


You: ...... Then you can erase them.


Sariel: You wish.


You: Just be honest and say you want to keep my drawing, still being so indirect as ever.



Sariel: Hm?


You: Nothing, nothing, since the item is delivered, then I shall take my leave.



The night has fallen. It's been a long day. I turned around, and just when I ran a few steps out, Sariel's voice of affirmation is heard from behind.



Sariel: It will succeed.


Yeah, I believe so too.


After seeing the girl off, Sariel returned to his office. The moment he raised his pen, something sounded from the computer. It's an invitation window for an online conference call.


It's Evan.


Sariel: What's the matter?



Evan: You don't have to worry about the matter of removal of duty, I'll handle it after I'm back. They won't be happy for more than a couple of days.


Sariel fiddles with the pen in his hand, showing no expression from his face.


Sariel: I am not interested to participate in the inner battles of you Strains.


Evan: Internal battles of the Strains?


Evan smiled, but some mockery have instead surfaced on his face.


Evan: The culprit behind the creation and spreading of the discussion of fabric ignition is already investigated. It is indeed the men of that good uncle of mine. It has been so many years, he's still using the same old tricks. As for the design draft that accuses your plagiarism, you and I both know this well-- But there's no way for me to guess the background of the collector. So I'm somewhat curious about it.


Sariel opened his eyes, seemingly understood somethign.



Sariel: There is no such person. The bunch of old Erdas can't sit still anymore.


Evan: The Strains and the Erdas have never been in connection in the past. For them to have exchanges with Lu Ting this time-- What do you think?


Sariel: Continue the new release show for Pristine. Other matters are not in my scope of consideration.


The golden pupil met the dark scarlet pupils. Evan nodded in contemplation, but a rare expression of delight is seen from his face.


Evan: Then continue pushing this forward. I'll announce this matter once I return to the country. There will be people assisting you on the show's resources throughout this period. Although this step from Lu. Ting isn't difficult to solve, but we have to keep our guards on the force behind him that you and I don't know of.



Sariel (scoffs): But it won't happen as he wishes. This world is not anyone's game of chess.



A chaotic day is about to end, yet it is only afternoon in the city Evan is in.


He walked in the long corridor of the old castle, quietly looking at the unchanging rain outside the window, a cold light reflects from his golden rimmed glasses.



Evan: Zhou Yan, submit the materials of the few directors after they are ready.


Zhou Yan: Yes. The actor that acted as the mother is also finally found.


He has made the right bet on that chilly early spring, and hence the position of CEO is no longer Lu Ting's. This time, how will his all out bet turn out?


There will be yet another hunt tomorrow. It it goes well,   the Strains here will be of his use.


But if it's not going smoothly, then it might be impossible for him to go back for these period of time.


Evan: May Pristine's new reveal show be successful.


This-- Is his sincerest wish.


.

.

.



Alternatively, feel free to check out other translations for Light and Night here!


If you'd like to support my translations, feel free to contact me for commissions or buy me a ko-fi here!


Until next update! :)






Translates on an irregular basis, works on short bursts of energy, suffering in muscle spasms. Travelled from north to south of Japan but would go back again and again. Also a polyglot.