Main Story Ch. 7-03 - If It’s the Grand Finale (假如是终曲) | Light and Night 光与夜之恋

9/09/2021 07:53:00 PM 0 Comments A+ a-

 

Previously on Chapter 7-01... (read here)


Charlie: The engagement ceremony will occur after the plane lands, prepare yourself well, my fiancée.




You: Engagement ceremony?!


Charlie nodded in satisfaction, with such a natural expression that doesn't look like he's joking at all. The wedding dress and the veil laying by my side have also proved what he said.


I could feel my blood boil in my chest right now, and I even have the urge to hit him right away.


But the terrible situation that I am currently in as reminded me to stay calm.


Charlie: How is it? Have you considered it well?



[Choice]

Night: Agree on the engagement as a way to retreat in order to advance

Light: Following your heart and refuse the engagement



[Night Choice: Agree on the engagement as a way to retreat in order to advance]


I have realized this clearly, even if I insist to reject him, no matter what there will be no way for me to run away from this plane.


How about I agree with him first, allowing him to relax on his guard, and look for a chance to slip away in the ceremony venue. Since it isn't my first time doing things like this anyways.



You: I've gave it a good thought, I can get engaged with you.


Hearing me uttering those words, a "just as expected" look has appeared on Charlie's face. He stood up, and walked towards the bedside.



Charlie: I really have guessed it right, a vulgar person indeed. But I can understand that too, with my finances and social status, there won't be a woman that wouldn't want to marry me. Since I'm the only son of the Zha family, one of the four major tycoons in the world-- the one and only heir to he pharmaceutical group NOVATEN.


You: ?



Charlie: I've seen too much of the likes of you, saying no from your lips, but actually wanting everything. First to escape from marriage to attract my attention, then putting a long line to catch the big fish. Rejecting me again and again, luring me to propose a better offer. I've got to say, you're really smart. An ordinary person would've been easily caught on the hook a long time ago. It's a pity, you've met me.


Right at this very moment, I've finally understood the reasons why he's so full of himself. It wasn't that he didn't understand what I said, but he has actually made a one-sided conclusion on his own.


In his eyes, I am a gold digger that would use any means, and have been plotting my schemes against him since the engagement reception. He's truly a completely prejudiced and arrogant maniac!


Zha Li Su, you say? Do you really think you're walking out from the Mary Sue game? Even so, I don't wish to meet a male protagonist like this!



Charlie: I've got it correctly, right? Nobody can escape from my eyes.


You: Your eyes? What eyes of yours? Blinded eyes?



Charlie: Blind? You are calling that this pair of beautiful eyes blind? If you aren't after my property, then what exactly are you trying to go after? Spending so much efforts to do so much, it's impossible for you to have no motive.



You: My only motive is to have you let me go quickly, and for you to shut up.


Baffled, Charlie now has "what kind of joke on earth is this" written all over his expressions, raising an arm as he brushes over his hair. Suddenly, his hand movements paused, and have a sudden realization.



Charlie: I understood now, you're going after me.


You: Me? Going after you??? You must've been on the wrong medication!


He immediately crossed his arms before his chest, and took a large step backwards in alertness, acted as if I was about to do something to him.


Charlie: Then I can only disappoint you, only monetary trades would keep me reassured.


Feeling completely dumbfounded, I stared at him, unsure of what else to say. Charlie got a little confused from my stares, lowering his head and examined himself seriously. By the time he raises his head again, he puts on a confused expression all over his face, as if he's asking which part of him that wouldn't anyone be going for. 


I frowned, unwilling to continue conversing on such boring topic with him.



You: Alright, I'll admit it. I indeed have my own motives, but they aren't those that you mentioned.


Charlie: Tell me, what do you want?




[Light Choice: Following your heart and refuse the engagement]



You: I will not be engaged to you. I don't like you at all.


Charlie: Impossible.


You: Why is it impossible?



Charlie: Because I'm the only son of the Zha family, one of the four major tycoons in the world-- the one and only heir to he pharmaceutical group NOVATEN. Not only this, I also have wisdom far exceeding of the ordinary people and a perfect look. It's obvious, no matter from which aspect, my conditions are the top of the world. There are people that are queueing up wanting to marry me at every second, and you are saying that you don't want to be engaged to me.


He threw a glance at me, with disbelief written all over his expressions.


Charlie: Ridiculous.


Ridiculous your foot! What on earth is this person actually boasting about?! With the name of Zha Li Su, and he's really thinking that he's someone walking out from some Mary Sue novel?



You: Then I'm afraid you have to walk out from your comfort zone. Listen properly. I. Don't. Want. To. Be. Engaged. To. You.


I thought he's finally going to understand, but Charlie actually shook his head, stood up, walked towards me, and even with a sliver of mock in his smile.


Charlie: A fine fowl perches only on a fine tree, humans should also make choices in their best interest. Say it, what exactly do you want? Money or fame, or do you want them both? As long as you agree to be engaged to me, you can have them all.


You: I'll earn what I want on my own. You can keep your fame and wealth to engage with those in need of them.


Charlie frowned, looking sullen in his eyes.


Charlie: I advise you to quit while you're ahead, don't be too greedy. When tricks are overly played, be careful that you will lose more than you gain.


You: ...?



Charlie: I've seen too much of the likes of you, saying no from your lips, but actually wanting everything. First to escape from marriage to attract my attention, then putting a long line to catch the big fish. Rejecting me again and again, luring me to propose a better offer. I've got to say, you're really smart. An ordinary person would've been easily caught on the hook a long time ago. It's a pity, you've met me.


Saying until this point, he straightened his index finger and waved left and right for a little, and even proudly tugged his windbreaker jacket.


He's truly a completely prejudiced and arrogant maniac!



Charlie: I've got it correctly, right? Nobody can escape from my eyes.


You: Your eyes? What eyes of yours? Blinded eyes?



Charlie: Blind? You are calling that this pair of beautiful eyes blind? If you aren't after my property, then what exactly are you trying to go after? 


You: I don't have any motive!



Charlie: The poor wants to be rich, the rich wants power; Umbrella sellers wish for it to rain daily, the builders wish for good weather every day. There won't be anyone that has no motive.


You: Huh, then your world is really pitifully shallow.


Charlie: *scoffs* ......


You: Not only shallow, it's also narrow. Yes, nobody doesn't love money and fame, but there are more important things than fame and wealth to me.



Charlie: What?



You: Freedom and respect. I wanted freedom and respect, could you give those?


Charlie stunned, the mocking smile he had earlier disappeared right away, and is replaced by an indescribable expression of surprise.


I raised my head, and looked into his eyes seriously.


You: Look at that expression of yours, you probably don't know what freedom and respect is, and you've never actually gave them a good thought before, right? Well that's true too, to attain resources that you want from your family, of course you'd be more familiar to this than anyone else. In a long run, you would even look down on those who work hard, and only treat the items that others value as some sort of game trophy. Since you find all humans have their motives, then mine is very simple. I want to pave my own path with my own hands, and not to live under others' whims. The reason I ran away from marriage is purely because I wanted freedom, and I don't want to have my life being used as the pawn of someone else's ambitions. I don't know why you have to insist to get engaged with me, but I don't care about the reason. I've already apologized on running away from the marriage, if you're unsatisfied about it, I can apologize for a few more times. But it's impossible for me to be engaged to you.


I don't know why I could suddenly say so much under a single breath, it was probably because I knew my hopes of escaping is too tiny, and it might also be coming from the unbearable frustration that have piled up from the situation that he has forced me into.


But I still have to say this even if I might end up angering him as the consequence. I am not afraid to show all the cards in my hand, I'm only afraid that my fate will be decided once again if I don't do anything.


In contrast to my anger, Charlie is looking abnormally quiet. As each second pass within this ever-flowing time, his gaze have slowly cooled down, bit by bit, no longer smiling, no longer puzzled.


I could see the solid resentments from his eyes, as if he'd throw me off the plane on the next second.


I've calculated the chances of my survival so quickly in my head, but I forgot that I've actually never understood him. On the next second, Charlie kept his gaze away from my face, straightened himself up, and hurried towards the other end of the plane.


I subconsciously let out a sigh in relief, but I began to feel puzzled.


Could he finally have some conscience? But how could this be possible for an arrogant narcissist like him?


You: Don't mind it anymore, let's see how things go.


But just when I stood up to move my limbs, Charlie have came out from nowhere to grab onto my wrist all of a sudden. He dragged me to the bedside and pressed onto my shoulder, and sat down.


You: What are you doing?!


Charlie: Didn't you want freedom? It's not impossible for me to let you go, but you'll have to play a game with me.


You: What game?


Charlie: Heard of Russian Roulette?


You: Is that the game of luck where you bet with your life?


Putting a bullet into the bullet slot of the revolver gun, participants will have to take turns to point the pistols at their temples and pull the trigger. You'll lose if you're shot, or if you run away from fear. 


Does he want me to play this with him?! This sicko!


I subconsciously wanted to refuse, but he has already spoken.


Charlie: Of course, I'm not that violent, I'll modify the rules. The bet will be the freedom and pride that you're so proud of, I'll let you go if you win. Dare enough?


My heart beat heavily, and I could feel goosebumps all over my back. 


Charlie smiled instead, and threw glances at me from time to time, as if he's having a competition of courage with me, or as if he's looking forward to how embarrassing I'd look later.


Charlie: Scared now?


You: ... I'm not afraid.


It feels like the two of us are now in a race that has never been fair in any sense. He isn't only the judge that will issue orders, but he is also the spectator, and the rule maker.


It's definitely a lie for me to say I'm not afraid, I've been trembling all over. 


But this is the best chance I could get, there won't be a worse condition for me anymore.


You: Letting me go if I win, will you keep your words?


Charlie: My word is my bond.



He opened his palm, there are two capsules, one blue and the other red.


Charlie: The rule is simple, one is poisonous, and the other isn't. Take your pick.


You: You're lying! You said you'd modify the rules, and you wouldn't be this violent! What's the difference between poison and bullet?!


I glared at him angrily, but he's still laughing instead!


Charlie: How can a bullet compare to my capsule? This is much more expensive.


You: I won't choose, why should I listen to you?


Gaze brushing past my panicked face, Charlie slowly kept the medicine.


Charlie: Backing off just like this? That's right, the freedom and respect that you've been rambling about is definitely not as valuable as your life. Alright, then you can stay here obediently and wait for the ceremony to begin.


He stood up and was ready to leave. Only hesitated for an instant, I grabbed onto his sleeves tightly.


You: Wait--


Charlie opened his palm naturally for once again.


I reached out an arm, trembling as I get closer to the two capsules. Fear has made my fingertips to feel cold, and my body has begun to shiver uncontrollably.


The sounds from the plane are being magnified indefinitely by my ears, sounding like the turning sounds of despair from the cogs of fate before they are broken.


There's only one last hope in my heart-- my talent.


Please, please allow me to differentiate the capsule that will allow me to leave this place alive.


Just when my fingertips touched the blue capsule, a large smear of shattering light halo in red appeared before me. The consciousness gradually blurs out, and the body feels heavy as if it's diving deep in the seas.


You: !


I focused once again, and reached my arm to the other capsule. But the more ridiculous thing happened. The same shattering red light appeared before me, and my consciousness are also taken away at that instant.


What's wrong? Why do they feel exactly the same?!


Unwilling to admit defeat, I touched the blue capsule for once again, but the feeling is still unchanged. I can only feel my heart sinking heavily.


The roaring sounds are getting louder, as if it's the notice before the god of death approaching. I tried my best to suppress my instinctive fear, but the loss of courage is still unstoppable, and a strong feeling of sadness has also began to overflow from my heart.


But Y/N, you can't lose, and you can't admit defeat.


Looking at Charlie's expressionless face, I reached out an arm to hold onto one of the capsules.




[Choice (both of them are the same, and it will not affect your Light and Night ratio)]

 

Red Capsule / Blue Capsule


[Choice: Red Capsule]

I picked up the red capsule and shoved it into my mouth with no hesitation.


[Choice: Blue Capsule]

I picked up the red capsule and shoved it into my mouth with no hesitation.



You: No matter what the result is, I'm willing to take on the consequences of the bet.


Closing my eyes, but I've just noticed the ring that has been exuding red light since earlier suddenly shined violently, and later turned into a really light pink.


Outside the windows, the sunset have poured through the slits between the clouds, bringing me the last sliver of light before my disappearance.


It's gradually becoming difficult to breath, and the surroundings have became gradually blurry. At the last moment, only Charlie's face is left in the last moments.


I thought I'd actually win, but fate says otherwise.


Is this my ending? I'm really unwilling to admit so...


Whether it was me being unwilling, or it's merely survival instincts, I struggled to hold onto my fading consciousness. 


Don't sleep, if you sleep you wouldn't wake up anymore. I wanted to clench my fists, but I can no longer use any of my strength. So tired-


The insides of the plane have turned quiet, so quiet that there are only two long breaths could be heart. The room's door is now opened, and the butler walked in politely.



Butler: Master, since you've decided to let her go, why do you have to take out two non-poisonous capsules to scare her?



Charlie: Jill, I am actually rejected by this woman again. I can't understand this matter at all.


Butler: Master, there won't be anyone knowing about this. Why do you have to let her hate you? As the saying goes, merry meet, merry part.



Charlie: It's her who didn't give a 'merry meet', so she should suffer a little when she 'parts'. Alright, throw her back.


Two non-poisonous capsules... The faint words appeared before my mind.


But I'm too tired. I ran out of time to think about it anymore, only allowing the endless darkness to swallow me completely.


Charlie placed the other capsule into his pocket. Still looking expressionless, his gaze only stayed on the girl's calm face for a long time, and turned towards the study afterwards.


Red lights flickering from the plane, changing its course as if it's led by an invisible hand of destiny, accelerating into the grey clouds.




Chapter 7-06 can now be read here!


Meanwhile, feel free to check out other translations for Light and Night here!


Translates on an irregular basis, works on short bursts of energy, suffering in muscle spasms. Travelled from north to south of Japan but would go back again and again. Also a polyglot.