Transforming into a Maiko! - A Maiko Henshin Experience

12/13/2016 10:37:00 PM 0 Comments A+ a-

Hello everyone! I'm back in writing about my second day in Kyoto! 

I kick-started my second day of Kyoto with an appointment that I've made with Kyoto Aoi for their Maiko-transformation experience! At the time I went, they had this promotion where you can transform into a maiko with the most basic plan, plus 4 photos of studio shots at 6,500 yen (without 8% of tax). 

On the JR bus to Kyoto Station

In my previous post I've talked about my day in Kyoto, where I actually forgot to buy a one-day bus ticket on my first day in Kyoto. So, I actually boarded a JR bus instead of the city bus to the Kyoto station to buy my one day city bus ticket and there goes 230 yen from my IC card (Note that city bus ticket does not apply on JR buses). 

Kyoto Aoi is located only a few minutes of walk from the Kyoto station, so it's very convenient! Initially I wanted to head to Kyoto Aoi right after arriving Kyoto yesterday, but I also expressed my interest in the process that I wished to make video recordings throughout the process with my camera or mobile phone, but my camera was malfunctioning on the day, so we recorded with my smartphone but my smartphone also decided to be an ass to corrupt my media files and all I'm left with is the photos that I requested them to placed in a CD where it costs me 500 yen (and tax) but at least those are what I have now. I could still find small parts of the videos that were recorded, but unfortunately I don't have the full progress anymore. I'll see what I can do to make it into a video in the future. :)

Kyoto Aoi is actually lying in a building that you'll have to go up via an elevator. As I have previously exchanged e-mails expressing my concerns and intention of video-shooting, we have arranged a time slot on 10am. I arrived about 10 minutes before my appointment time and I was briefed very clearly on the type of available plans that are available. I prefer to have a softcopy myself and my sole interest wasn't to take many studio shots, but knowing about how maikos would dress up, I chose the basic plan of 6,500 yen, and later on I was also introduced about the change of obi (the belt part) for 1,000 yen as well as the option of having a CD for 500 yen.

First, I was requested to undress and changed into a juban (an inner layer of the kimono). There are actually two strings and it can be a little confusing for beginners to wear one, but always remembering that the left side is always on the top (the other way would be wearing a kimono for the dead so be careful!). Then take the string on the right side, put it through the sleeve hole under your left armpit and tie both strings together. 

I'll also show my studio shots that I had in my CD throughout me explaining about the Maiko Henshin experience. Throughout my experience I conversed in 80% Japanese and 20% English because let's admit it, my Japanese language is very bad when it comes to speaking :'D


Maiko Henshin Experience - Studio Shot (1)

After changing into a juban, I'm asked to pick a kimono. I'm actually considered very tall for Asian females (I'm at 171cm, about 5'6) so my selection for kimono was limited because most female kimono in Japan are designed for people within 160 cm of height, with some designed for females at 170 cm.

Once I've picked a kimono, my hairdresser steps in and explained what she's going to do - cleansing my face to have a better application of the makeup (which I actually purposely did not put on any cosmetics before heading out on that day to ease my life with the removal) and she have also explained that she'll paint my face white, apply red and black eyeliners and explain that how Maiko would usually do this with a guidance when they started, and later on they'll do the white makeup on their own once they have enough of experience on it.

She have also explained that she will be using a half wig for my dress-up, so some parts of my front hair will be used to make the hairstyle look a lot more natural. They will also be using quite some oil so she wanted me to be mentally prepared for what's to come.

I also personally wear spectacles, but because my sight is rather bad, I remembered that I couldn't see if I couldn't wear specs so I requested for a short time to change into contact lenses and they allowed me to take a few minutes for the change. By the way, you have a locker to store your belongings too so no worries at all! To be honest, I occupied two lockers because my jacket, dress and jeans were thick and my bag was also rather huge with the cosmetic bag too. Then again we had no other customers so it didn't really matter.

Maiko Henshin Experience - Studio Shot (2)

Before we got into the makeup business, I was asked for my shoe size in centimetres and I have absolutely no idea because I only know that I'm a size 42/43 EU. (Yes I know I'm a bigfoot) and the lady brought me a pair of tabi socks (traditional Japanese stockings) to wear on. Once it's done, we proceeded to makeup.

The hairdresser + makeup artist (they are the same person so I might interchange the roles a bit, but both of them are actually the same person) first helped me to put on wig cap. After putting on a wig cap, she helped me to clean my face and used different types of moisturizer, so that my skin wouldn't get dry out throughout the Maiko Henshin experience. Also because it's a transition period from autumn to winter, the air would dry your skin out very easily so moisturizing your skin is really important!

After cleaning and moisturizing the face, she started to explain about the tools she was going to use. First of all she pulled out a pink-colored foundation stick and applied it around my cheeks and under my eyes, which I was surprised a little, thinking that people would usually just smack the white makeup on the face lol

The makeup artist have then gave me a heads up that the liquid she'll apply on my skin will be a little cold and I was like "okay" lolol and then my neck was first whitened with the liquid and it felt a little cooling. Later on, my face was also painted in white with the same liquid. Upon applying the white liquid, my face and neck were both powdered in white, which would give a smoother complex as well as preventing the liquid to run away,. Basically it feels like applying finishing powder after applying liquid foundation, just that it's more cooling compared to usual cosmetic products imo

Later on, we proceeded to drawing my eyebrows, eyes and lips. Products such as red eyeliner, black eyeliner, mascara, red and black eyebrow pencil, and liquid lip coloring have been used. I was also explained that upon applying the makeup, I should NOT be touching any parts that are painted in white, my lips, nor smacking my lips because the colors might run off.

Then, the makeup is done!

Upon the completion of makeup, I was donned in kimono. Including the juban, I had three layers. It took quite some time to wear a kimono, and I can see why most people don't wear one in Japan right now. It takes a lot of strength to actually put on the kimono completely! I lost count on the number of ropes that were used to tighten and placing the kimono in place before putting on the obi belt. I was certainly feeling like some sort of lady or princess because I don't think I had anyone dressed me up except the times when I was a kid. I personally have a set of yukata and kimono at home, so I do know how painful it is to put on a kimono all by yourself.

Maiko Henshin Experience - Studio Shot (3)


After putting on the kimono, I was seated and allowed to choose on whether I wanted to take the obi change option for 1,000 yen. I personally am very, very skeptical about the patterns on a kimono and obi and I want mine to look as extravagant as possible with the limited options I already had, so I went on with the 1,000 yen option because I was like "Just let me be the princess I want to be for this three hours". It is completely okay not to use the 1,000 yen option, it's just that I fancy patterns that would really catch my eyes. Usually, when you pick an obi, you pick a color that has contrasting colors with your kimono. If contrasting isn't the best word, I'd say that the obi should be something that is eye-catching. That is also one of the reasons why some obi belts can cost a lot more than the kimono itself because it really depends on the art, the maker and the materials used on it. (Yes I am pretty skeptical on the patterns even though I do not call myself an expert or a pro in kimono-donning).

Right after I picked the belt, the staff first wrapped the base of the belt around my waist (in red) and then, I was able to see the staff folding a corner of the obi and started to wrap it around my waist. There were time to time where I was requested to hold a part of the obi for a short period of time and I just gladly helped, but until the time when the staff had to tie the obi, she had to call another female staff over to help tightening the obi behind me. Once the obi is tied, then everything is set and I could head to the studio for photo-shooting session! :D

I was asked to carry the front part of the kimono as I walk to the studio (because it actually drags on the floor as I walk if I don't hold them properly and kimonos aren't used to sweep or mop lol) and as soon as I arrive the studio, I was greeted by this friendly photographer. I'm not entirely sure if he knew I'm actually a foreigner because he kept speaking in Japanese and I was utterly confused because it's my first time having a photo-shooting session myself that I have no idea about the photo-taking jargons. Then I apologized and explained that I might need some help in posing because I have no clue on what I was supposed to do so he tried his best to use his limited-edition English and we proceeded to taking the photos! We had a couple of tries to take the photos in a single position, and because I have mentioned that I wanted to have a CD, I actually had all of the tries in the CD while having four of the studio shots are printed out.


Maiko Henshin Experience - Studio Shot (4)

In the last shot (in studio shot 4) I was only supported to wear the shoes and it was a terrifying experience. I was actually requested to stand as if I were wearing heels for my left leg and I thought it'd be okay, but I wasn't able to balance very well, so the shot was a fail for me. We tried a few times but apparently my injury on my left ankle when I had my fracture isn't holding up quite well so we went with a normal standing pose. After the shooting session was over, I was allowed to take photos with my smartphone but they eventually disappeared anyway, d*mn smartphone isn't even smart at all.

After all my selfie sessions the staff kindly helped me to take my obi and kimono off, and that's when I know that the session is coming to an end really soon. They they helped me to wash the front part of my hair that was covered with oil as well as helping me to clearing off the white makeup on my face and neck. Upon cleaning off, I changed back into my daily clothes and placed the towel, the juban and the stockings into separate baskets that were labelled properly in Japanese, collect my photo, made a payment of around 8,640 yen in the end. I was worrying about not having enough of cash so they actually allowed me to pay by a visa card. Which from what I've heard from other experiences, these maiko-henshin experiences are usually only accepting cash transactions so kudos to Kyoto Aoi for that! :D

Upon collecting my CD and photos, I double-checked if I've left anything behind because I don't have a Japanese phone number for them to contact me if I left anything behind and that would certainly suck. After ensuring that everything is checked, I delivered my thanks to all the staff by and they sent me to the exit with a deep bow and saying "Ookini", which means "thank you" in the Kyoto-ben (Kyoto dialect).

Outside Kyoto Station

I took my time walking to the Kyoto station and snapped a couple of photos, then back to my guesthouse to dump my cosmetics bag, have my late lunch and headed to the imperial palace of Kyoto. However... I boarded the wrong bus and when I arrived the imperial palace, it's already closed for all visitors. OTL

It's closed. :(

I then ran my way to board the bus to Kinkakuji (the Golden Pavilion) and I barely made it to the entrance, 10 minutes before any other visitors were allowed to enter. I took a good look around it as well as the golden building itself. Even though Kyoto rained lightly, the view is still beautiful and I'd come back some other day when the day isn't raining.



On my way to Kinkakuji

If the sun is shining bright, I can bet that this building would look marvelous and shiny.

Another view of the Kinkakuji

I eventually became the last visitor that walked out from Kinkakuji and I took my time walking down the streets to find a lot of cute souvenir stores that are also very expensively-priced.


These are so adorable!

I didn't really have plans for the night, then I was thinking: Why not entering the Kyoto university and look around the main campus? Then my heart went "Hell yeah let's do this" and I hopped onto different buses, ran around Gojo finding the right bus stop, and finally walked my way to Kyoto university.

Kyoto university used to be my dream place for my studies, but things happened in life and I entered another university and screwed up my life. Though I never actually expect myself to actually be in the campus itself and wandered around different campuses. They have different faculties on different streets, but the main campus is the one with a really, really huge tree in front of a clock tower! It's also a part of the university's logo. :)

I thought I'd need to register myself as a visitor or something, but I somehow was treated as a student and I just walked around the campus and gasping in awe on how beautiful the campus is, and how the students are cycling around, playing baseball, or rehearsing for their next performance. I wished I was able to participate my university club activities, but I live 2 hours of bus ride from my campus so I didn't really have the time to do so when I was doing my degree. Also for safety reasons, I didn't stay any later than 7pm in my campus in Kuala Lumpur. :')


Can you see the clock tower though?

The giant tree with the clock tower of Kyoto university at night

After feeling satisfied for wandering around different campuses of Kyoto university, I hopped onto a bus and returned to Gion, walked around and hoping to see a Maiko or Geiko (Geisha) but luck was bad. Or maybe I'm just searching the wrong place and it's already 8:20 pm by the time I leave Kyoto University. I went back to Lawson to grab some snacks for the following day, and headed back to the guesthouse by 9:40pm to have a drink with my housemates. :D

Souvenirs that I wouldn't buy because I'd finish them before they are home

And that's all for my second day in Kyoto! Gonna write more about my day in Yamashina when I grab the time to do so! :)

Till next time!

Translates on an irregular basis, works on short bursts of energy, suffering in muscle spasms. Travelled from north to south of Japan but would go back again and again. Also a polyglot.