16 Days in Japan - A Lengthy Summary

12/09/2016 11:47:00 PM 0 Comments A+ a-

I've been disappearing for months because I was travelling abroad. I was in Taiwan with my family during October (and since it's a family trip I don't wish to share about it here). From the end of November until early December, I've been travelling solo to Japan and I'm writing my experience here.

I'll take some time to write about the details of each day across several posts because I was in Japan for 16 days, including the day of arrival and departure from Japan.

For my trip, I've spent quite an amount of money because I bought my flight tickets at the very last minute (which I would not suggest people to do so if they plan to save money) but I did it to get away from the stress that has been piling up throughout university and to the fact that I finally got myself away from the mental tortures, it's time for me to fly off from my home country before I start to work.

So, here I am, in Japan!

It's also sad to say that a majority of my photo files are corrupted and could never be opened again in my phone or laptop so I don't have much images or videos that I could share, I'm really sorry. 

As for my trip, including shopping spree, I could not remember the exact figure, but I used about 220k JPY. The breakdown is as follow: 
  • Flight tickets: About 57,000 JPY
  • Night bus from Tokyo to Nagoya: 4,550 yen 
  • Day bus from Nagoya to Kyoto: A little less than 2,600 yen,
  • PASMO card purchase: 3,000 yen 
    • Topped up another 5.5k yen 
      • Most of the credit in my PASMO are used in Tokyo and Osaka
      • Kintetsu express to and from Nara (from Osaka): Around 1,100 yen
      • A few times in convenience stores: Around 600 yen in total lol
      • Vending machines (I swear, Japan is so convenient!) about 400 yen
      • 600 yen wasted on my way to Fushimi Inari from Yamashina because there was a communication error between me and the bus driver OTL
  • Accommodation was slightly lesser than 37,000 JPY via Airbnb
    • The cost is an estimation because I paid them in MYR (Malaysian Ringgit) and USD (US Dollar) so there might be slight differences in conversions
    • The cost is for 14 nights in Japan (one night in night bus)
  • The rest of the cost are spent on
    • Entrance tickets (Too lazy to do the math, will break down in future posts) 
    • Shopping spree (Anime products, cosmetics): Approx. 62,000 JPY 
    • Food: About 8,000 JPY
    • Omamori and Omikuji
      • I spent about 1,500 yen on omikuji and 4,000 yen on omamori lol
    • Daily passes (Kyoto and Osaka):
      • 4 One day bus passes in Kyoto: 4 x 500 yen = 2,000 yen
      • One day Kyoto + Yamashina and Daigo pass: 1,300 yen
      • Nagoya Donichi pass: 600 yen
      • Osaka Amazing Two Day Pass: 3,000 yen

                                                                 
For my trip, I land in Haneda (HND) and depart from Kansai International Airport (KIX). 
I spent 3 nights in Ikebukuro (Tokyo), 1 night in Shibuya (Tokyo), 1 night on night bus, 1 night in Nagoya, 4 nights in Kyoto and 5 nights in Osaka. 

For one of the days in Tokyo, it snowed and heavily disrupted my plan because I grew up in a tropical country and going out when it's snowing is just not my thing. I planned to go to Asakusa and Akihabara, but I ended up going only Akihabara on that day after the snow stopped. 

In Japan, I went to these cities:
  • Tokyo
    • Ikebukuro
    • Roppongi
    • Akihabara
    • Shinjuku
    • Harajuku
    • Yoyogi
    • Shibuya
  • Nagoya
    • Aichi
    • Chiyoda
    • Jingu
  • Kyoto
    • Kamigyo
    • Yamashina
    • Daigo
    • Gion
    • Along the Shijo Dori
    • Inari 
    • and other names that I can't recall because they are rather similar T_T
  • Nara
    • Only walked around tourist spots that are close (About 15 minutes of walking distance from one to another) to each other
  • Osaka
    • Umeda
    • Namba
    • Dotonbori
    • Suminokoen
    • Nagai
    • Tempozan

I'll talk more about my trip in future posts when I get the time to do so! Meanwhile, here are some videos and photos. :D

See you next time!

In Tokyo

Tokyo Tower, view from Roppongi Hills

Tokyo Metropolitan Theatre


Miyano Mamoru's signature in Joysound Ikebukuro Branch



Traditional wedding ceremony in Atsuta Jingu, Nagoya

Nagoya castle

Kyoto Tower

Kiyomizudera Temple Night Viewing, Kyoto

Kinkakuji (Golden Pavilion) in the evening, Kyoto

Me looking tired after 10+ minutes of walking to Bishamondo Temple, Yamashina (Kyoto) :'D

A small part of the Kyoto Imperial Palace

A part of the streets illuminations outside Namba station, Osaka

The pagoda in Nara's Kofukuji

Tempozan Ferris Wheel, Osaka. Also the world's largest ferris wheel!

The famous Minato bridge in Osaka from Santa Maria cruise

Translates on an irregular basis, works on short bursts of energy, suffering in muscle spasms. Travelled from north to south of Japan but would go back again and again. Also a polyglot.