10 Things That I've Learned During My First Year

3/30/2014 09:56:00 PM 0 Comments A+ a-

It has been almost a year since my enrollment for my Bachelor's Degree, and there are many things that I've realized that I should do, and I shouldn't. 

1. Never procrastinate.

The more you procrastinate, the more you are going to regret it. You may be able to enjoy the moments you have wasted and leaving your assignments, tutorials, thesis and such behind you, but when everything piles up at the golden week of that semester (where all of the deadlines and tests falls on the same week), you are definitely going to be regret what you've done.



2. Always give your parents a daily call at a fixed time.

For students that live in hostels or rented rooms, it is always a good choice to give your parents a nice phone call and ask them if they have eaten, or just telling them that you are safe in the campus. Try giving them a call, and they will be really happy. Keep that habit for some time and eventually they will be waiting for your phone call every day (or night).




3. Enjoy your university activities. 

It's not about syllabus all the time. Go out, join a few clubs and have fun! Or joining some voluntary activities and you will realize how things go or how clubs function. It doesn't harm you to know more. But make sure that you will have your life balanced and never abandon your studies!



4. Be crazy, and meet new people every semester.

In my place, we have Comic Fiesta every December. I was thankful that my final exams ended slightly earlier that I still don't have to rush back to Melacca after my last paper and yes, I met my online friend Chie! (The cute girl with cat ears) I thought it would be impossible to meet her in person but we did, and we talked about so much of crazy stuff and took quite an amount of selfies (which we deleted because they looked weird afterwards.) 

I also met many other people that I didn't expect to meet, too! Going around and talk to foreigners, a huge breakthrough after having phobias of talking to foreigners that were too open-minded. Nevertheless, it's still a great experience! Just don't be too crazy about stuff, and you should be fine. 



5. Learn to suppress your temper.

Yes, controlling your temper and try your best not to allow it to overtake you is an important skill. If you are able to suppress your temper in group assignments, you might be able to get things going better. 

My second semester sucked because there was this person that doesn't seem to be giving a f*** on the video assignment and he didn't bring his phone out while my groupmates and I were waiting right in front of his doorstep, shouting and banging on the door until the neighbors came out and told us that the person went out for breakfast happily. 

And that person returned without an apology and I was so raged that I shouted at him for minutes and he just stayed quiet and such. Guess what? He didn't manage to pull himself back for the video shooting and we ended up have to delay things to the next day, and that is after my apologizing via text.

He even blocked me on facebook right after the incident. How efficient. 

Like, damn you, I apologized and it is still your fault! 

But let's just forget about the incident because I am not interested to take this person into my topic but meh.



6. Get yourself more sources of motivation.

Motivation! Something that all of us need to study! I used be motivated by a single person, but once the person disappeared from my life, I lost sight of what I have to do and what I shouldn't do. Now that I've found more sources of motivation, all I have to do right now is to keep my energy level for my studies. ^u^



7. Set higher goals every time you achieved one.

It's useless if you are setting goals that could be achieved easily. A GPA 3.0 isn't too difficult, it all depends on your effort on that subject. If you are a student that is aiming for only a pass for all subjects, maybe you should give yourself a chance to set for a GPA of 2.5 in this semester, and slowly increasing the GPA. Who knows you might be able to achieve a 4.0 someday? You have to keep yourself motivated to achieve the goals, too! Tell the entire world on what you wanted to get, and keep on reminding yourself that if you didn't achieve those goals, you will feel so much of shame.

And that should keep you moving.



8. Learn whatever that you could learn.

Be it foreign language or additional skills, you wouldn't know when you would need those skills. I am learning Japanese, little by little and I managed to get a copy of this book from another faculty! It's easy to read and has cute images here and there so learning isn't difficult.

And there was this day when a Japanese couple that traveled to a place that I am not too familiar with asked me for directions and I blinked for some time, ended up telling them to give me a moment and asked other people instead. Did some simple translation to Japanese, and they are extremely grateful.

You seriously won't be expecting what will happen and when you would use your additional skills. Really. 



9. Learn to communicate.

Talking in a good manner with your classmates, or lecturers, or even staff is important. If you get to know them more, it's easier to keep things going. 

If you are good enough, you might actually be able to get people to complete your assignment. Really.

Though I won't suggest you to do so, because you learn from your assignments.



10. Know your own way to relax.

It's important to release your stress once in a while. I like to run around while staring at the sky, or just simply having a long nap is enough for me. 

It depends on you, but releasing your stress is definitely a must. Keeping them inside your heart isn't a good thing for long terms.



These are basically written from my point of view, you may learn more than what I've learned, and I wish you all the best in your studies, if you manage to read this! 

Have a great day! 

Translates on an irregular basis, works on short bursts of energy, suffering in muscle spasms. Travelled from north to south of Japan but would go back again and again. Also a polyglot.