Main Story Chapter 14-03: The Angel who Crossed Boundaries (越界天使) | Light and Night 光与夜之恋

6/24/2022 12:59:00 AM 1 Comments A+ a-

 

Please consider reading Chapter 14-01 before proceeding~


TRIGGER WARNING:

Suicide, physical abuse, mentions of wound, mentions of mental illness caused by trauma





Since the market entry ceremony of the NOVATEN Pharmaceutical Group is only going to start at 1PM, I plan to head over after visiting Madam Qin.


I arrived #15, 7th Alley, SanXiang Rd. early in the morning.


It's an old single building, but the courtyard is still tidy and clean despite the walls are already mottled. There's also a row of willow trees planted along the entrance, and it's obvious that the owner has been taking care of them meticulously.


You: I wonder if Madam Qin is still living here...


I rang the door bell, and very quickly, an elderly woman with white hair opened the door.


???: You are--?


You: Hello, may I ask if you're Madam Qin from Happy Tomorrows?


She suddenly looked a little gloomy upon hearing "Happy Tomorrows", and only nodded after a while.


Madam Qin: I am.


You: Hello, I'm... I'm a freelance media influencer. I'm currently working on a report about Yu Da Academy, so I wish to interview you, may I know if it might be convenient for you?


Madam Qin: This matter has been over for many years, I don't think there's a need to bring it up again now.


She averted her gaze, and was about to close the door.


You: Please wait for a moment!


I quickly held into the door frame. I believe I understand her resistance, it's perhaps that the scar as the family member of the victims has yet to heal even until now, but even so--


You: Although Yu Da Academy is already shut, but, what happens if things like these will happen again? I think, only by letting everyone to remember it well and be alert about it at all times that we can put an end to it, don't you think so?


I looked at her sincerely, pleading her to give me a chance. But Madam Qin only stood there, drooping her gaze, and did not make a move. In her long silence, I am no longer holding onto any hopes.


Madam Qin: Come in then.



She turned around and walked into the house as soon as she's done talking. I quickly followed and thanked her repetitively. It's a narrow, line-shaped house, with furnitures and appliances that are a little aged, with single-colored tiles laid across the flooring.


However, as I walked, I suddenly had a very odd feeling. The sense of emptiness under my feet made me to feel like I'm not stepping onto these tiles.


You: Could I have been getting dizzy from the lack of good sleep for the past couple of days?


Madam Qin said she's going to retrieve items of the past years, and asked me to wait for her on the sofa of her living room.


I sat down after responded to her. There's a brown photo frame placed on the tea table, and Madam Qin in the photo is much younger than how she looks now, and a beautifully handsome young man who looks like he's in his teenage years is leaning into her arms.


You: This is probably her son...


I reached an arm out, thinking of picking up the photo frame to have a look, but something terrifying happened, my hand actually passed through the frame!


You: ...!


What's going on?! Did my hand just pass through the frame?! How could this be possible?!


My palm is instantly filled with cold sweat. I sat on the sofa in a blur, stared at the frame for a good couple of minutes, and repetitively told myself that I must've been seeing things wrongly. After making mental preparations, I reached my arm out again, but instead I've managed to hold onto the frame properly.


The texture of wood is so real. My hand didn't pass through, but have instead held onto it normally. It's very normal.


So I was indeed seeing things wrongly, huh...


I kept my hands back, and suddenly recalled myself to have similar dreams in the past.


In the dream, I met a drowning boy by the pool. He looked like he's in great pain and I wanted to save him, but my hand passed through his body*.


*Reference from this chapter.


By the time I woke up from a trance, Madam Qin has walked downstairs, and handed me a stack of papers.


Madam Qin: These are all written by Xiao Lang. Everything about his time in Yu Da Academy are all written on them.


I took over that stack of paper. The paper is very new, and after briefly taking a look across the pages, I've noticed that the final date of signature is actually dated back in 15 years ago.


You: Wasn't that when the academy was established?!


Low-key thinking that the lady is Evan's mom saving some children from the academy


Madam Qin: That's right. Xiao Lang was the first batch of students of the academy, and when he's there on his third month, a lady sent him back. The lady said, don't send my child there ever again, it's a complete hell through and through. She left after saying so. I didn't believe it from the beginning, until Xiao Lang knelt at me in tears. He said he'll definitely be mature and obedient, as long as I don't send him away again.


Her face was filled with tears, that she even lost her voice a couple of times from sobbing.



Madam Qin: He's bruised all over his body, there were so many of them filled with pus because they weren't treated in time, and he's so thin that there were only bones left. He told me, that he attempted suicide by swallowing washing powder during his hardest times in the academy... and he was caned 20 times after he's rescued. As long as I enter his room at night, he'll be immediately awakened, and he would draw a pair of scissors out from under his pillow and aimed them towards me. I will never forget his gaze, the way he looked at me was as though he's looking at a murderer. 



Madam Qin: His emotions were unable to return to normal throughout a very long period, and he would always suddenly become enraged and strangle others' necks. He's afraid that he's suddenly being sent off again, and also afraid for someone to treat him well. I brought him to the hospital, and the doctor said that's schizophrenia. After that, I heard that there were a few children that enrolled to the academy have returned too. It's just that some of them had already committed suicide at home. 


You: So... that's how you appealed to found "Happy Tomorrows"?



Madam Qin: Yes. There was once I brought him to the park. I'm afraid that his illness will recur, so I tied his limbs up. I pushed him on a wheelchair, but many people were still scared. But it's clearly not the fault of these children, it's us adults who are at fault. I'm not worthy of becoming his mother. I thought everything I thought were right, and everything I did were for his own good, but I have ended up harming him... It's also during that time that I understood it's hard for patients of mental illness to survive in the society. There are many people who might not know they are ill for their entire life.


You: Then why didn't you provide these papers that Xiao Lang wrote to the media back then?


Madam Qin: I did. I sent these to many media, but they only received them, and didn't report on anything. There won't be people that would care for ordinary people like us.


You: I apologize if this question is offensive, is your son now--


Madam Qin: After Happy Tomorrows are taken over by the mental health center, Xiao Lang has also headed there. It's said that there will be professionals that would treat them, and I'll visit him every week.


Madam Qin looks towards the hanged photograph by the cabinet. The youth on it is leaning against the hospital bed, cheeks dented from being skinny, but he still showed a smile.


Madam Qin: I don't wish for children to suffer from pains like this in the future too.


You: I'll try my best to allow this matter to be known by more people.


CG Alley


When I left Madam Qin's house, the skies suddenly became yellow. It's clear that it isn't noon yet, but the entire sky looked as though it's covered in yellow sand. I've only seen weathers like this from doomsday movies.


I held the documents into my arms, and ran quickly towards the subway station.


Suddenly, the surroundings became windy.


On the next second, it was as though the wind is aimed at me, it suddenly pounced towards me! I got caught off guard took a few steps backwards, and the papers in my arms are blown away that it's now fluttering and falling into somewhere far, along with the lifted dust.


I quickly ran over to pick them up, but everything feels not right in my mind.


A hand pressed onto the papers before I could. I stopped my footsteps, and saw a familiar figure.



You: ... Evan?


Why is he here? Is it a coincidence? Or could it be... for other reasons?


I'm extremely surprised, but he's very calmed, nor he was surprised at all.


He carefully patted the dirt off the papers, yet when I reached an arm out to retrieve them, he has instead avoided me.


You: These are mine that were blown away by the wind--



Evan: I know. But what if I say that this is also something that I wanted?


You: ???


I thought he'd politely tell me "I see, here, remember to hold onto them tighter next time", but it's however not the case. Evan's answer was quick and direct, that I was even stunned by it.


Did he just say he's taking these documents away?


You: But... this is mine.


Sir, your hands are in your pockets /jk


Evan: But it's now in my hands, is it not?


His words are shameless, but spoken in a tender tone. The tease in his red pupils are clearly telling me, "so what, I can't snatch it from him anyway, even if they are mine".


An Evan like this makes me find him particularly unfamiliar.


I'm a little angry, grabbing onto those papers powerfully, and spoke a little coldly.


You: Is it yours as long as it's in your hands? Please return it to me, if you are going to snatch it, then you can give it a try.


In an instant, Evan showed a surprised expression. But very quickly, he drooped his gaze and chuckled a little.


This chuckle has finally allowed me to found that bit of familiarity.


You: What's so funny about it?


Evan: You're not quite the same as my impression of you anymore.


You: What am I like in your impression?


Evan: You always speak with euphemism and tenderness. Even if you are internally angry, it's rare for you to portray it. Even if you have thought about many things, but you've always asked very little questions.


Though saying so, his expression doesn't seem to be missing the past me, but instead, he looked like he prefers to see how I portrayed toughness.



Evan: It was my fault for offending you earlier, but I really needed this document. Can you give me five minutes to scan them?


In a blink of an eye, he returned to the past Evan again.


I opened my mouth, and was about to agree to him habitually, but the term "Strains" immediately surfaced in my mind.


That's right, whether it's Yu Da Academy or Project Eclipse, they existed because of the Strains. Evan is also one of the Strains.


Even though I understand that not all Strains have participated this evil plan that I can't judge individuals by the sin of a group. Moreover, I've also sincerely believed that Evan wouldn't participate in it, but--


You: What's your reason? Is the reason related to you, or is it... related to the Strains?


I asked calmly, but I'm internally nervous, because I'm really afraid that the latter would be his answer.


Evan: Both.


A silence suddenly fell between us. I wanted to continue asking, "then are you here to destroy these documents so that the evil deeds of the Strains will not be exposed, or are you searching for these documents in order to go against the Strains?"


But I couldn't bring myself to ask him. Perhaps it's just as he said, I've always been thinking a lot, but I asked very little questions. Especially when I'm facing him.


In the end, I can only look into his eyes, hoping it can tell me the answer, just like how it was when we first met.


What's in his eyes... I can't really tell, or should I say that I can't find the exact words to describe them, is that a way of pity out of sympathy?


I felt puzzled, but I've also felt relieved.


You: Okay.



I followed Evan and sat in his car, and it began to drizzle outside the windows. It's yet another rainy day.


Evan: I'll retrieve my laptop.


As soon as he spoke, a crisp click sounded in the car. I'm very familiar with it, it's the sound of a locked car door.


You: Evan, you are...


Evan has instead tilted his head, as though he didn't know what I was talking about.


Just when I was about to point to the door lock, lightning suddenly struck, brightened my view as bright as snow, with strong winds blowing ashes and dirt, making the skies and the land looking muddled in a sudden.


I jolted from shock! The sounds suddenly stopped, and all of my thoughts receded quickly, leaving my mind with only blankness.


The engines sounds slowly broke the silence, and it's as though there's an invisible leg in the air stepping on the accelerator. 


The car rushed out in high speeds!


.

.

.

.

Chapter 14-05 is now updated here!


Until my next update, please feel free to check out other translations for Light and Night here!


If you'd like to support my translations, feel free to contact me for commissions or buy me a ko-fi here!



Translates on an irregular basis, works on short bursts of energy, suffering in muscle spasms. Travelled from north to south of Japan but would go back again and again. Also a polyglot.

1 comments:

Write comments
Luna
AUTHOR
July 3, 2022 at 11:11 AM delete

how do you fall for that twice, MC?!

Reply
avatar