Main Story Chapter 12-06: Savage Game (蛮荒游戏) | Light and Night 光与夜之恋

4/12/2022 05:48:00 PM 0 Comments A+ a-

 

Before reading this chapter, please read the previous chapter here.

.

.

.

.



Osborn: We're here, our-- Miss Commissioner. 


Where Osborn brought me to is a detached courtyard that looks like it has quite the age. There's a brass door handle on the courtyard's door, and it can only be found after going through many turns of alleys.


Beneath the lower eave lies two stone flowerbeds with a variety of plants planted within. I can't differentiate them, but it's rare to still see a plant maintaining such lush green in early winter.


Osborn walked straight to the back of the flowerbed, took out a large metal scoop, then scooped half a scoop of water from the red bucket on its side, and splashed it towards the flowerbed. After splashing, he even helped trimming the wilted branches and leaves.


You: You seem rather familiar to this place.


Osborn: This is my master's place, it's also where I used to live.


You: Master?


Osborn: You can also say he's my adoptive father, he also taught me quite some skills.


Adoptive father? Despite I've met Osborn since I was little, but I knew only so little about his childhood.


He don't quite mention about his experience during this time, so I suppose family isn't considered part of his warm memories, or perhaps a scar that he's unwilling to reveal.


You: Then what's your master's name? How should I address him when I go in?


Osborn: You're thinking of how to address him at this point already*?


*T/N: You can also read this as, Osborn is teasing her talking in a way as if she's seeing a boyfriend's parents, being uncertain of how to address them. (They aren't dating in main story, though)


I threw him a somewhat-not-so-serious glare. Osborn pretended to not see a thing, turning around to open the courtyard door. 


Osborn: Just call him Ye Chuan, there's nothing to worry on how you address him. Tsk, forgetting to keep his key again.


I poked my head over to have a look, and there's indeed a key inserted into the door lock. Osborn took it out, and pushed the door open.


Osborn: I'm back.



???: You punk, you're finally here. Hurry and help me find my key.



The sight of a rattan box and two rattan chairs in the center of the decently-sized courtyard welcomed me as soon as I stepped into the courtyard.


There is a small television on the rattan box, with a game controller on the rattan chair. The wires connecting out from the insides of the house is messily scattering all over the floor.


A grey-haired man faced us with his back, leaning towards the side of the flowerbed, seemingly searching for something. Osborn walked to him and squatted down by his side, fingertip pointing towards the key he took out from the door earlier.


Osborn: Is this the one?


The man turned his face over and examined it properly, and a wide smile immediately bloomed across his face.



Ye Chuan: Well that's what I've been thinking. I remembered keeping it in my pockets.


Osborn: It's hanging on the door lock.


Ye Chuan: Then the thing in my pocket--


The man touched on the pocket in his jacket, but only to find a china spatula.


Ye Chuan: That's weird.


Osborn: It's not weird. If you don't detach the key out, then it won't be lost.


The man turned around, and that's only when I found a small segment of hem rope tied to the inner layer of his jacket. Osborn tied the key to its edge, and made a dead knot.


Just when Osborn wanted to continue exhorting something, the man suddenly pushed him off, and pulled my hand with a gleeful look.


Ye Chuan: You've brought me a daughter-in-law?!


You: ??? No no!!! You've misunderstood! I'm just his--



Ye Chuan: Partner? Correct? I knew you kids like to go with this trend. This punk has been mumbling about you all these while, that my ears are going to have callouses.


You: Ah, he mumbled about me?


Ye Chuan: Well didn't he?


I turned around to look towards Osborn. He leaned against the wall, still carrying a smile over the corners of his lips, but there's an additional incomprehensible emotion in his eyes.


Ye Chuan: Wait for a bit, I'll give you a treasure.


He patted my hand, mysteriously walked into the house in quick step. It only took him no more than five seconds to run back in a hurry, and he even almost tripped himself.


Osborn: Slow down.


Ye Chuan: Here, put this on for a try.


My hand is stuffed into a a translucent, light green bracelet*.


*T/N: Traditionally, if your s/o's parent is giving you (a girl) a jade bracelet, they are seeing you as their daughter-in-law already.


You: That's not the case-- 


Ye Chuan: This is a gift for our first meeting, it's a top quality translucent jade, so it should match a girl like you.


You: Listen to me, Master Ye Chuan--


Ye Chuan: Why are you still addressing me as mater? You should call me uncle.


I looked towards Osborn seeking for help, but he only shrugged, holding back from laughing while standing at the side.


Ye Chuan: Is that punk treating you badly? Tell me, I'll beat him up for you.


You: N- No...


Ye Chuan: From now on, we'll be family. Are the two of you finding a house already?


You: Huh?


Ye Chuan: Although the two of you are still young now, but you can't be careless when it comes to buying a house, that's a place that you're staying for your life. The housing price in Guang Qi city isn't low now, a good area will cost three to four thousand per square feet.


You: ...?


Isn't that the housing price for over ten years ago? I'm a little confused. Osborn have instead pinched his nose and straightened his body, and finally decided to come to my rescue.


Osborn: Already did.


Ye Chuan: You have to buy a big one okay, at least with four rooms, and the location must be good. It's the best to be a villa, just like mine, but it has to be close to your school. Hear me?


Osborn: I know.


Ye Chuan: 'I know', 'I know', and all you can say is 'I know'. Your homeroom teacher called me to school, did you know that? This won't do, you little beat knows how to lie at its best, I have to find my bank book for the two of you.


Osborn: Take a break from there, we'll search for houses.



Ye Chuan: Now that sounds more like it. But I still had to exhort you two a little, you are both still young, you should focus more on your studies. It's not late even if you marry after you're graduated from the university.


You: University... Graduation? 


Ye Chuan: I bought candies for you two, I'm not sure if they suit your liking.


Osborn: She loves candies the most. I'll bring her inside to get them, and get something to drink.


Just when I was feeling helpless, Osborn held my wrist. Ye Chuan nodded, and frowned.


Ye Chuan: Speaking of it, did you hide the carton of beer I bought?


Osborn: Blaming that on me too? You're the one finishing it didn't you.


In the kitchen, I watched Osborn half kneeling to open the lowest compartment of the cabinet, and took out a blue bottle.


You: Beer? So it was you that hid it?


Osborn: Well, sort of. I just changed a place to store them. When there's anyone here, I dare not to let him drink too much.


Thinking of how Osborn's master looked like, I hesitated, but still spoke. 


You: Your master...


Osborn: He's sick. Sometimes he thinks I'm still a kid, sometimes he thinks I'm a teen. Things he remember are also different. Did that scare you?


I shook my head, and watched him skillfully rearranging the scattering cups and plates in the kitchen back to where they should.


You: Is he living alone? Wouldn't that be very inconvenient?


Osborn: He doesn't allow caretakers to enter, so you can say that he's alone. I can only come here when I'm free.


You: But you have a lot of competitions and missions too, no?



Osborn: When I face situations like this, I will generally hire two caretakers. One to watch him strolling around from afar, and the other to clean and cook for him while he's out. So it's hard to have them working for long periods, they all complained that the work made them feel like thieves.


He spoke so casually, but my mind is already imagining the caretaker lowering their bodies, hiding behind trees, and quietly following behind Osborn's master. It should've looked a little funny, but a sense of sadness came from nowhere.


You: Just let me know if there's anything you need help with.


The cold class bottle stuck on my face a little, immediately stopping my words.


The windows of the kitchen is glued with newspaper. It's dark, so I can't see Osborn's expressions clearly, only a pair of slightly brightened pupils.


Osborn: As expected of someone that my master have taken a liking... daughter-in-law. 


He did not make a sound for the last three words, only mouthed them.



By the time we returned to the courtyard, Master Ye Chuan is sitting on the rattan chair. What is broadcasted on the TV is a racing game, the image looks a little retro.


He waved at us, with a childlike troubled expression over his face.


Ye Chuan: Why can't I clear this level? Help me to clear it.



Osborn (teasing): Still not clearing it after playing for so many months, what a noob.


Ye Chuan: You punk has not even the slightest bit of good conscience at all. Still remembered who taught you to clear this game back then?


Osborn: You taught me, but I'm the one with the highest record now.


I looked at the ranking charts on the top right corner of the screen, the word 'Osborn' is indeed written for the highest scorer, and the date of achievement was a few years ago. A red and blue controller suddenly appeared before me. I stunned.


Ye Chuan: Young lady, let's ignore him. How about you play for me?


You: I haven't been playing this for very long, I might be a little clumsy in this.


Ye Chuan: It's fine, just practice it, it's very easy.


Osborn: You didn't clear it even though it's easy anyway.


Ye Chuan: Shoo shoo shoo, stop staying around here. By the way, don't steal the beer from the fridge. Your stomach will hurt again if you drink it on a cold day.


Osborn: Why do you remember it so well whenever it's related to alcohol?


Ye Chuan: Well of course, I still remember that I still have to drink at your wedding reception.


Osborn crossed his arms helplessly, pretending to walk away after turning around. I quickly tugged him, and quietly mouthed to him.


You: Are you really leaving?!


Osborn quietly mouthed too. It's four words.


Osborn: You're on your own.


After Osborn's figure disappeared, and his footsteps are no longer heard, Master Ye Chuan immediately took the controller from my hand, and looked around sneakily.


Ye Chuan: The punk is finally gone. While he's not here, young lady, tell me secretly, is there anyone bullying him at school?


You: Eh?


Ye Chuan: Are there any bad kids beating him? Or to burn his hand with cigarettes, or tear his exam papers off?


His gaze is filled with self-blame and worries, and for an instant, I feel like the old man before me actually knows everything.


I don't know what to tell him, since Osborn has never told me anything about this. To me, besides that chance encounter during our childhood, his past is actually a complete blank to me.



Ye Chuan: He's always afraid that I'll be worried, so he never told me anything about these. But I'm not blind, how can the green and bruises on his face come from falling? He didn't even say a thing when I asked him what happened.


You: ... No.


Ye Chuan: Really?


You: Don't worry, I'll protect him.


Ye Chuan bursted in laughter, then nodded heavily, pondered for a bit, then took out a few paper notes from the pocket of his trouser and shoved them to me.


They are already the old version of paper notes over a decade ago, but they are neat and clean, with only a faint trace of fold on its top left corner.


A scene of the old man sitting under the yellow table lamp in the middle of the night, flattening the notes again and again while putting on a pair of reading glasses.


Ye Chuan: Make sure that he never skips lunch, there's no way I'd send him to the hospital if he ruins his stomach. My courtyard is still fine, nobody's asking him to save money to buy paint or the sort. Thank goodness he's willing to listen to you, so young lady, I'm counting on you on this.


I originally wanted to tell him to not worry, because Osborn is now fine. But the moment I met his gaze, I suddenly don't feel like saying so anymore.


He might have not known that doing this can't actually solve anything much, but it just can't be helped, he just can't help but to leave him with the best things existing in his knowledge.


You: Okay, I promise you.


Ye Chuan: Uh, there's something, can you persuade him on it... but don't say that I'm the one making you to do so.


He paused, but he has been scratching the back of his head, not telling anything more.


You: It's okay, just say it, I won't tell him.


Ye Chuan: Aren't you third years* going to fill in your ambitions soon? I knew this punk haven't been wanting to stay in Guang Qi, I saw him looking at schools outstation by secret. It's not that I don't want him to be in a good place, if he can really make it there I would be the happiest. I was just thinking, it's the best to not be too far from here. Say, with somewhere too far away, what happens if he's sick or got into trouble? It'd take me so long for me to rush there.


*T/N: of high school


His hands kept rubbing on his knees, and looked at me with a troubled expression.


You: Do you want me to persuade him?


Ye Chuan: Aye. Forget it if he isn't willing to.


You: I promise you, I'll talk to him properly.


Ye Chuan: Aye, aye! This is our little secret, you can't let him know this.


You: Yeah!


Ye Chuan: Then let's make a pinky promise!



The joyous laughter of the young and old are heard from the courtyard. It's so lively that Osborn can't help but to look outside. There is a singled goose spreading its wings and flying past the window behind him, brightened by the sun, towards the warm southern regions.


And he too, has returned to his southern region.



Osborn lowered his head, and suddenly chuckled softly.



He pulled himself back together, continued walking forward, dodging the wobbly lamp cover dangling casually on the ceiling, and opened the room door at the edge.


He is welcomed by dust and a yellowing racing poster on the wall. It has been a very long time since the last time someone entered this room. 


A tile closing to the wall is slightly lifted up. Osborn half-knelt, held the edge of the wooden board and lifted it open, revealing a wooden box.


The double-headed snake pattern on the box is particularly eye-catching.


Osborn took out the rolled white paper and spreads it open. It's a design image of a certain instrument, with commentaries densely packed by the side, with symbols of interchanges between Strains and humans.


Osborn stares at it with focus. A slapping wind suddenly strikes from the left side of his ear. He dodged it by looking away, hands restraining the slap coming from his right side.


Ye Chuan: You've improved.


Osborn: Your skills are still sharp too.


Ye Chuan patted on the back of his head.


Ye Chuan: It's still easier to pat you when you're little, you're now taller than me.


Osborn: I've been like this since five years ago, you should accept the truth already. Where's she?


Ye Chuan: Adjusting the controller for me. This little girl has a pretty good personality.


Osborn smiled quietly.


Osborn: Don't bully her.


Ye Chuan raised a chin towards the box in his hand.


Ye Chuan: Is that the thing that dad of yours left? You can't wait to burn it back then, why are you taking that out now?


Osborn: Nothing much. Just thinking it'd be useful.


Ye Chuan: Your mom didn't came back did she?! What is she planning to do?!


Osborn: No. I no longer mind about what happened in the past since a long time ago. So even if she's back, it's already no longer important to me.


Ye Chuan glanced deeply at him.


Ye Chuan: How's your days in the guild?


Osborn: It's pretty good.


Ye Chuan: How about your racing team?


Osborn: Also pretty good.


Ye Chuan: Replying me that perfunctory? Tell me a little more.


Osborn: It's you asking too fast. I didn't have the time to tell you more. Why are you in such a hurry? I'll tell you slowly later.


Ye Chuan turned his head to look out from the window. There are a few very deep lines at the corners of his eyes.


Ye Chuan: It's a pity that these old bones of mine has no time to listen slowly. Good child, it has been rough on you for the past years.


Osborn: You're still far off from having old bones, who was the one lying to Aunty Wu at the sundry shop that he's only 40 again?


Osborn didn't look at him, nor even showing much changes in his tone, only keeping the paper, then stood up.


CG Courtyard


Sounds of approaching footsteps are heard from the house. I looked up to see Osborn and Ye Chuan walking out together. The elderly walked behind him, but unsure why, it feels like something has changed.


The skies are getting dark. The light on the screen is projected onto his face, blurring off many of the traces of time on him.


Osborn bent down and leaned on the back of the chair, looking at it with focus. For an instant, I thought I saw something many years in the past.



By the time we left the courtyard, the moon is already high up in the skies.


Looking back, I could still see Ye Chuan waving vigorously towards us from the depths of the alley. Uncertain if it's my misperception, but his eyes seemed very red.


Osborn: Just go back, it's too cold.



Ye Chuan: Don't overwork yourself in the racing team, I don't ask for you to excel, your health is the most important. Remember to come back to look for me when something happens... You can do that even if nothing's up.


Osborn: I know.


Osborn and I walked in the quiet alley, with bright moonlight poured all over the ground. He suddenly spoke.


Osborn: Master has never been that sober for a long time. Thank you.


You: Don't worry. Medicine is advancing, so who knows if medicine that can treat illnesses like this will be developed in future.


Osborn: Yeah.


He answered very softly and quickly, but different from his usual teasing tone, it sounded solemn.


You: By the way, you should take this back.


Just when I was about to take off the jade bracelet, Osborn softly pressed on it.



Osborn: I thought of the remuneration now. Come back here to visit him with me when you're free. He likes you very much. So this bracelet is still useful in the future.


He stopped his footsteps. The emerald eyes are dim yet bright. Moon and starlight ascend and descend from within, allowing me to recall the southern regions where it's always spring.


You: Okay.











Alternatively, feel free to check out other translations for Light and Night here!


If you'd like to support my translations, feel free to contact me for commissions or buy me a ko-fi here!


Until next update! :)












Translates on an irregular basis, works on short bursts of energy, suffering in muscle spasms. Travelled from north to south of Japan but would go back again and again. Also a polyglot.