6☆ Silhouette with Sariel: Flower Picking Dream || Light and Night 光与夜之恋 齐司礼【拈花一梦】 英译

1/01/2022 09:09:00 PM 0 Comments A+ a-

 


Silhouette is a brand new feature. There will be 1 prologue, then Light and Night destinies.

In order to unlock Night destiny, you'll need to go through a Memory Recollection session to recall clues and unlock Night Destiny, which is an alternative ending from the prologue.


It's a relatively short card. Gacha is very rigged.


You can watch the recording here:




Prologue (初始之章)



After months of being busy, the collaboration project of silk culture with GuangQi City Museum has finally welcomed its exhibition day.


Looking at the visitors immersing themselves in the exhibition, the curator spoke to me with full of gratitude.



Curator: Y/N, it's all thanks to your help.


I shook my head and smiled bashfully.


You: I have also learnt a lot from this project. Also, in terms of help, Director Qi is still helped more...


Sariel wasn't originally in charge of this project, but perhaps it's because he can't stand seeing me looking frustrated all day, he has given me suggestions for quite a few times.


Curator: That's right, that's right. I have to thank your director too. How about this? I have recently received two tickets for an traditional fashion culture research activity, I'll gift them to the two of you as my gratitude.


You: Really? Thank you very much!


I took the tickets, and noticed this activity is not held in GuangQi city, but in a vacation area named "LingYin* Town". 


*T/N: The words used here means "hidden spirit".


I've heard about this place from MaoGe, it seems like it's built recently, with traditional elements as its selling point, built among the mountains and rivers, it's quiet and natural.


Looking at the bird-eye-view map printed on the tickets, I can't help but to feel tempted.



After returning to the office, I handed the feedback of the museum project to Zheng Lin, then printed another copy, slotted the two tickets in between, and arrived Sariel's office.


I knocked on the half opened door and peeked inwards.


You: Director Qi, are you free now? I'll go in?


Sariel: You're already inside, what are you pretending about?


Sariel sat before his office desk, raising his head and threw me a glance.


Seeing him not being opposed to it, I immediately walked towards him, and placed the document in my hand on his desk.



Sariel: What is it?


You: The feedback from the museum silk culture program, have a look!


Sariel: This project is handled by Group A, handing it to Zheng Lin will do.


You: But you've also helped me a few times, aren't you curious about the visitor's feedback?



Sariel: I wouldn't need to look at it to know. If the feedback is bad, you'd be crying before you even walk through that door.


I can't refute him, but I didn't keep the document, but  pushed it towards him instead.


You: Since you know it's well-perceived, then the more you should see how everyone have praised you.


Sariel lifted his chin slightly as he examines me, then pointed on the document.



Sariel: Did you slot something weird in this?


You: What do you mean by something weird, I just wanted to give you a surprise--


Before my voice dies out, he has already accurately took out the two tickets from the stack of document.


Sariel: "Traditional Fashion Culture Research Activity"?


You: Yeah! Mr. Curator gave it to me earlier, can we go there together, please?



Sariel: If it's on the weekends, sure.


You: Eh? Really?


Just when I was about to convince him with a series of words to move him with affection and reasonings, Sariel has unexpectedly agreed to it straightforwardly.


You: Why are you agreeing to it so quickly this time?


Sariel: Is there a problem? I can decline it too.


You: No no no, please don't! I was just finding it a little abnormal, could there be a special reason...


Sariel: Don't think nonsense. I just didn't want to listen to your so-called "once-in-a-lifetime requests".


I startled slightly, and can't hold back from laughing.


Sariel: What are you laughing at?


You: It's nothing, I just realized that the sentence is also very useful even if I didn't say it, I'll remember it well!


Sariel: What are you remembering? Don't say that ever again in the future.


Seeing him frowning slightly, I immediately nodded, but I've already made an internal memo-- I must use that line more frequently in the future!



The activity of LingYin Town is held on weekends. On Saturday morning, Sariel and I boarded the railway.



After disembarking, we switched to a bus, and after a few transfers, we have finally arrived the old mountain town covered in white snow.


The journey is just too far that I accidentally fell asleep in the bus. The moment I disembarked from the bus, the lingering sleepiness immediately disappeared from the cold winds.


You: So cold!



Sariel: It's December, and the temperature in the mountains are lower than the outside. Dress properly, I don't want to take care of the sick.


I buttoned my jacket all the way to the topmost button, and began to look at the surroundings after feeling slightly warmer.


Perhaps due to the recent snow, there aren't many tourists here, and it's pretty quiet around here too.


The people who disembarked at the same time with us has gone far, so I immediately tugged Sariel's arm wanting to catch up, but only to be attracted by the scenery before my eyes after only taken a few steps.


We are both now on a slope, and looking down, the entire look of the town being surrounded by the mountains could be seen.


Groups of ancient buildings in the intercrossing alleys are surrounded by clouds and mists, bringing us back to the time of thousands of years ago.


You: So pretty, just like the ancient drawings I saw in the museum...


I grabbed onto the railing wanting to have a clearer look by poking myself out, but Sariel only pulled me back by tugging my collar.



Sariel: Clumsy bird, are you preparing to fly downwards to have a look?


You: Don't worry, I won't fall. I'm just a little excited, it has been too long since I'm having fun with you outdoors.


Sariel: I remembered a certain person saying she's coming here to research and learn from this rare opportunity. She ended up only thinking about having fun in the end, just as expected.


You: This is what you call a work and life balance. Of course we're participating the research activity, but we should also enjoy properly when we're having fun. I have already made an itinerary in advance. What tea ceremony experience, flying flower poetry*, and the most famous plum garden here, it's a must-go.


*T/N: 飞花令 (Fei Hua Ling), or literally translated as flying flower poetry, is an ancient Chinese poetry activity in drinking sessions. But compared to normal poetry activities where the importance lies in rhymes, this type of drinking poetry activity is difficult if you don't have a certain proficiency in Chinese poetry, so this has been a favorite activity of poets. 


You: I heard that there's the tallest plum tree in the world there, it's over 20m tall!


Sariel: It can't be possible for plum trees to be that tall.


You: Don't you believe it?


Sariel: I don't.


Sariel answered very quickly. I nodded, and started to think as I touched my chin.


You: Yeah, I don't believe it either. Then should we go there to take a few pictures to debunk the rumors in the internet?


Sariel: Up to you--


With three words said, Sariel stunned suddenly. His lips moved, then lowered his gaze and looked at me.



Sariel: If were to say I believe it, are you going to say you believe it too, then finally dragging me to "see it for ourselves"?


You: Haha, you know me so well, director...


Sariel: You've said whatever you like.


He have clearly exposed me, yet I don't worry about it at all, because I knew Sariel will definitely give in in the end.


Just like how he understood my trickeries, I also understand him enough.


As expected, Sariel tugged his collars close, and turned around to descend the stairs.


Sariel: Participate the research activity first, then we'll talk about the rest after it ends.


You: Okay okay, understood~


I followed Sariel's footsteps, sniffing the faint scent of plum in the air, only to feel extremely comfortable.



By the time we rushed to the research activity's venue, the seminar just begun.


I was originally merely looking for an excuse to ask Sariel out, but I didn't expect the seminar's content to be really valuable, and the collectibles displayed have made me exclaimed again and again.



Until we've walked out after the activity ends, I still can't stop thinking about a certain piece of recreated ancient clothing.


You: How great, I feel completely inspired, I can now complete ten perfect design drafts right away!


Sariel: Is that so? Then how about we go back now, so you can draw ten in a go?


My clenched fists immediately opened, and waved at Sariel in panic.


You: No no no, I said it wrongly, I think this activity is completely helpless to work...



Sariel: Since it's not of any use, then it's better to go back earlier.


Sariel's words are spoken in such a cold tone, in a trance, I could no longer differentiate if he was just simply blurting it out or if he was actually being serious.


You: How can you just say anything you like...



Sariel: I learnt it from a certain someone.


You: Did I word things so overly?


I can't help to mutter, but only to glance at Sariel's slightly curved lips when I gazed upwards.



Sariel: Good that you know. Get going after understanding what I said. Dilly dally any further and none of those plans of yours won't come true at all.


You: Coming right away!


With no time to mind about refuting him, I browsed the navigation website as I walked to the center of the town with Sariel.


The snow on the cobblestone path has not melted as it lets out gentle squeaky sounds as we stepped on it.



After walking for a while, I saw a tall white tree so tall that it could reach the skies. Although it isn't as exaggerating as described on the internet, but the tree is probably at least three or four storeys tall.


You: Are the flowers of this plum tree white?


Until we've walked closer, only then I noticed those aren't the colors of the flowers, but the accumulated snow on its branches.


The wall tree spreads its branches just like a giant umbrella. It's a pity that the branches are bald, looking completely different from what I've imagined.


You: Isn't the flowering season of plums within these two months? Why isn't there a single flower?


Sariel: Because it isn't a plum tree.


Sariel lifted his head as he looked at the tall branches, identifying it seriously for some time, and made his conclusion.



Sariel: This should be a pear tree.


I found a wooden signboard, a noticed that this is indeed an ancient pear tree of over a thousand years.


A thousand years ago, this place was a barren land, until somebody planted this pear tree, the soil has changed miraculously.


Ever since then, people moved here continuously, bringing prosper to this area. So the people value this tree very much, believing that it is the one that brings prosperity.


So there was such a story behind it. I lifted my head as I looked at the branches covered in thick snow, and I can't hold back from letting out an internal exclaim.


Yet just then, my line of vision caught onto a red ribbon. But on the next second, the smudge of color is already hidden among the branches, no longer found as if tit has vanished.


You: Weird... Was it my misperception? 


I blinked in confusion, and looked out once again...




Light Destiny


Weirded out, I raised my head to look towards the pear tree's branches, trying to search for the smudge of redness just now.


But despite staring out for quite a while, I can't see anything anymore.



Sariel: What's wrong?


You: I think I saw something red on the tree... could it be a flower?


Sariel: You've probably seen wrongly. This is a pear tree, even if it really blooms, it should be white.


You: Hmm...


I can't help myself but to take a few more looks at the dead branches above me, feeling a little regretful. I wonder how impressive it'll be when such a giant tree blooms.


As I think about it, an idea surfaced in my mind.


You: Sariel, can you make this tree bloom? Just like the strawberry* before.


*T/N: Reference to this date.


Sariel: I can.


You: Really?! Well then--



Sariel: Only if you wish to attract everyone from the town here, and get yourself into tomorrow's news headline.


He threw me a glance, his gaze is faint, but his words are completely merciless.


You: Uh, consider I said nothing...


I tightened my scarf awkwardly, and quickly changed the topic.


You: Although we can't see pear flowers, but we should be able to see plum blossoms. I remember the plum garden is over there, let's head there right away.



Until a smudge of bright red appeared among the white skies and lands, I knew we've arrived the plum garden.


The winter plum blooms like the reddish sunset throughout the entire garden, as if someone indulged himself to pain between the heaven and earth, forming into a scroll painting exuding ancientry with the pale green ancient buildings.


For an instant, I almost forgot about the coldness, tugging Sariel with an arm, stepping on the snows, and headed straight towards the snowy plum garden.


There aren't much visitors in the garden, but it isn't deserted as well. A few adults are bringing their children building snowmen by a tall plum tree.

 

A petal fluttered with the winds, and fell just perfectly between the brows of the snowman, making the children cheering continuously.


Seeing them makes my heart itch. Unable to hold back, I turned sideways to look towards Sariel.



Sariel: What are you staring at me for?


You: You definitely know what I'm thinking about, don't ask when you know about it alright~


Sariel widened his eyes slightly, seeming unexpecting such a reply from me. He frowned, showing an obvious disdain all over his face.


Sariel: May I know how old are you this year? Five? Building snowmen like children, aren't you childish?


You: Since when was there an age restriction for building snowmen? I think whether it's 50 years old, 500 years old, or even few thousand years old, anyone can build one. But if you can't let go of your pride, how about we build one quietly over that corner?


I pretend to have not seen his gradually deepening frown, trotting towards the corner of the plum garden, squatted down and picked up a pile of snow.


A few seconds later, the rustling sounds of someone stepping on snow could be heard. Sariel walked towards my side, drooping his gaze to examine the snowball in my hand.



Sariel: Are you making a riceball?


You: Are the edges that obvious? I'm making a snowball...


Sariel: It's not particularly obvious, just adjust a little more and it can keep up with a ruler.


Hearing him saying so, the more I looked at the "riceball" in my hand, the more unpleasant-looking I find it, so I threw it aside, and made another snowball.


You: This time it's round enough! I'll roll a big one based on it, and make the snowman's head!


Sariel: It's too loose, it'll scatter very easily.


You: No way, it's clearly very firm--


Before my voice died down, Sariel extended his index finger and poked onto the snowball in my hands very gently.


"Plop"-- The round white sphere scattered, now lying on my palms.


You: ......


You: Can I claim for compensation from you?


Sariel: No.


Sariel answered me firmly. With no choice left, I can only squat down bitterly, and continue to victimize another bunch of snowflakes.


Just then, a very gentle sigh is heard from above. Sariel squatted down beside me, and gathered the scattered snow earlier with his hands.


Sariel: People build bodies first when they build snowman, you're the only one that would build the head first.


You: What I do is called blazing a trail...


Sariel: It's more like being top-heavy.


Throughout the chattering, a tennis ball-sized snowball has appeared.


Sariel: Use your force like this, so the snowball won't scatter easily.


You: Like this?


I imitated him and patted all over the snowball.



Sariel: Do you have an enmity with it? Use a little more force and it'll follow the footsteps of the previous snowball.


I lowered my head to look at the obvious traces of my fingers, noticed that I'm really showing a "destructive" tendency, so I immediately softened my movements out of guilt.


You: I was just trying to test and see if it's firm.


Sariel: Hm? So your conclusion is?


You: It's very firm!


The small snowball became bigger and bigger with Sariel and my "additions", it's almost like the size of a football now.


You: Are we going to roll the snowball next? Can I give it a try first?


Sariel is showing no signs of intent to snatch with me, only standing by the side as he watched me rolling the snowball forward, and rolling it into a bigger snowball.



Sariel: It's enough, it doesn't get smarter with a bigger head--


His voice suddenly paused, gaze fell onto somewhere slightly in the distant, and frowned slightly.


You: What's wrong?


I curiously looked along his line of gaze, only to notice a little child hiding behind a tree dressed in traditional clothing examining us seriously.


Seeing that we have noticed him, he didn't hide, only to shrink his head a little, yet the pair of round eyes still looked towards us.


You: Was it the child we met earlier?


Sariel: No, the clothes and appearance are different.


I looked around, but I can't see his parents either. Feeling worried, I approached him to ask some questions.


You: Little boy, what's your name? Where are your parents? Aren't they with you?



Li Shu: I'm... Li Shu*, I live in the town.


*T/N: Li Shu sounds exactly the same as Pear Tree. Only different wordings.


You: Mm, are you the staff's child? Or are you a little actor from the activity? How about I bring you to find your parents?


Li Shu: I'll be here, it's fine.


He shook his head and looked up, but instead of looking at me, he looked towards Sariel, who's standing beside me.


A sliver of timidity flashed past the pair of round eyes, but very quickly became bright, as if he's expecting something.


You: Do you want to build a snowman with us?


He nodded quickly like how a chick pecks its grains, paused, then hesitated again.



Li Shu: But I wanted to build a snow lion...


You: Lion?


Li Shu: Yeah, just like that one.


He pointed towards the stone lions in front of a house entrance not far away, the anticipations in his eyes are gradually obvious.


You: It's my first time hearing someone making a snow lion...


Sariel: Have you not imagined what everyone made before the appearance of a snowman?


You: Snow lions?



Sariel: Mm. "Sculpt snow lions, install snow lamps, welcoming friends and relatives*".


*T/N: "塑雪狮,装雪灯,以会亲友". This is actually traced back to the Song Dynasty's book of "东京梦华录". Every winter, the wealthy people from Northern Song will organize banquets and invite their friends and relatives, and build snow lions and install snow lamps at the same time. The tradition is then extended to Southern Song, and they also added "making snow mountains" into the list of activities. Then people began decorating snow lions. In later times it's also referenced in famous literature works, and one of them is the famous "Journey to the West".


Sariel seems very familiar with things like this, and little Li Shu also nodded vigorously.


To think that building a snowman is already so difficult, if we were to really build a snow lion, the difficulty level must be sky high...


But I can't bear to break little Li Shu's anticipations, so I can only look towards Sariel for help.


Being stared by me, Sariel's expressions stiffened.


Sariel: ... You really are good at finding yourself in difficult situations.


You: It is indeed a little difficult for me to build snow lions, but isn't it a trivial matter to our all-mighty director?


Sariel: You with your smooth and ingratiating words.


He scoffed softly, yet his tone exudes a smile.



You: Hooray! I'll try my best to help, we'll definitely make a very beautiful snow lion!


Easy to say, but the actual operations is much greater than I thought.


I was still able to offer help when it comes to making the base, but in the latter parts, I can only stand by the side and watch helplessly.


With not a single tool, Sariel only used his hands, and actually piled out a lion's silhouette bit by bit.


You: Are there anything else that I can help...? Making snowballs? Finding stuff to decorate it?


Little Li Shu who is obviously much better than me in terms of building snow lions made faces at me as soon as he saw me looking helpless.



Li Shu: Bleh, Jiejie is so stupid.



Sariel: She isn't stupid, she just haven't learned it.


Sariel lowered his head and replied him, he seemed to have only simply blurted it out, but my heart has skipped a beat.


By the time he turns around, the faint gold pupils are still reflecting my stunned expressions.


Sariel: What are you spacing out for? Didn't you say you wanted to help? Here, help me to pat the snow here to make it firmer.


You: ... Okay!


I quickly lowered my head to cover my boiling cheeks, raising my arm and slapped on the pile of snow, completely forgot to control my strength, and sent a bunch of snowflakes flying.


Oh no! I looked up in guilt, and as expected, Sariel is staring at me quietly, the bits of snow that splashed up have fallen on his hair and face.


Sariel: I think I should take back my words earlier.


He puts on a cold face, and glanced at the little Li Shu beside him.



Sariel: You're right, she is a clumsy bird.


You: Don't talk simply! I- I'll clean it for you!


I'm panicked and embarrassed, tiptoeing before he can reply, raising my arm to pat the bits of snow off him.


The moment my fingertips brushed past Sariel's eyelids, his eyebrows trembled too.


You: Is it a little cold? Wait a moment, I'll take my gloves off...


Sariel: No need, just patting these bits off will do.


Sariel grabbed my hand and stopped me from taking off my gloves, then lowering his head as he pointed at the hair by his ears.


The pure white snowflakes fell by his ear, if it weren't for his ears to be a little reddened, it'd be very hard to differentiate it.


I patted the snow by his ear, and unknowingly, my ears became a little hot too.


Keeping my hand, I averted my gaze pretending to look calm, but only to meet little Li Shu's curious gaze.


You: Ahem, let's continue, I'll pat a little gentler.


With the experience of failure earlier, I no longer dared to move abruptly, and controlled my strength in patting the snow.


The snow lion that were originally having an outline looked gradually livelier under Sariel's touch, showing an aura of the king of the beasts.


You: As expected of Director Qi!


Sariel: It's not done, I'll leave the final step to you.


You: Final step?


Sariel picked up a branch from the grounds and handed it to me, then pointed at the stone lion's eyes.



Sariel: Adding the finishing touch to the dragon's eye*, and it's the same for snow lions. Whether this snow lion will come to life will depend on this final step of yours.


*T/N: This actually came from a Chinese idiom with a backstory. There was a painting of dragon with no eye, but with a dot added into the eyeball, the dragon became alive. 


You: Okay!


I examined it solemnly, then "drew" the eyes with the branch for the lion. This snow lion standing on the snow now looked like it has a soul.


You: How is it?


I nervously turned around to look at Sariel, waiting for him to nod in acknowledgment.



Sariel: Well done.


You: Hooray!


Li Shu: Wow, jiejie, you're so great!


Li Shu shouted loudly with me, running a few circles around the snow lion, his eyes sparkled, but very quickly became sad agan.


You: What's wrong? Don't you like it?



Li Shu: No, I like it very much. It has been a long time since I've last seen such a beautiful snow lion. But... When spring comes, this lion will melt bit by bit. The more I like it now, the sadder I'll be when spring comes.


I stunned. I didn't expect him to say things like this at such a young age.


Just when I was thinking about how to console him, Sariel spoke.


Sariel: When the next winter arrives, you can make another one.


Li Shu: But that won't be this one we have right now...



Sariel: So what if that's the case, perhaps the one next year will be better.


Little Li Shu touched the lion's head with unwillingness, then pursed his lips.


He blinked his round eyes, raising his head and looked at us with hidden anticipation within his eyes. In those clear and beautiful pupils, they are reflecting Sariel and my silhouettes.


Li Shu: Will you still come here next year? If you are coming again, can you come here during spring?


You: Why spring? We can't build snow lions together during spring~


Li Shu: Because during spring, the pear flowers will bloom, it's very very beautiful.


I realized he is probably referring to the ancient pear tree in the town.


You: I really wanted to see it too, but...


I almost wanted to agree to him, but I turned around to look at Sariel in hesitance. 


He met my gaze with slightly raised brows, not saying a word, seeming have passed the right of choice all in my hands.


Overflowed with joy, I extended my pinky to little Li Shu.


You: We'll come here next spring. I'll make a pinky promise with you.


Li Shu: Then it's set, both of you have to come, okay?


You: Don't worry, as mature adults, we will not break our promises!


I quickly signaled at Sariel with a gaze. A few seconds later, only then he nodded slightly at Li Shu as if he's being forced to do so.


Li Shu caught onto this slight movement, happily hooked my pinky, and made a promise together.


Li Shu: I'll be waiting for both of you here!


You: It's late, do you want to go home? We'll send you back.


Li Shu: I can go back myself.


You: But--


Before I can finish, he already waved at us, hopping and running far from us nimbly, just like a snow elf.


Feeling a little worried, I followed his footsteps quickly, but only to lose the tiny silhouette from a corner.


You: Isn't he walking a little too fast...?


It's as if he disappeared in the blizzard.



Sariel: We should get going too.


You: Ah, okay...


I returned to my senses, looking at the snow lion on the snow longingly, then followed Sariel's footsteps and left from the opposite direction of Li Shu's.



By the time spring arrives, this snow lion will melt with the snow.


But it's fine, by then, we can see the beautiful scene of pear blossoms we missed in winter. And the winter after, we can build more snow lions.


Just thinking about this makes my mood a lot better.


You: Sariel, you're even good at building snow lions, are there even things that you don't know?



Sariel: There are many. I don't know how to be stupid, I don't know how to force myself to do things, and I don't know how to simply splash snow onto someone else's face...


You: I'm praising you right here, how could you bear to diss me instead?!


Sariel: I wasn't, don't put yourself in place.


You: You almost read my name out there already didn't you-- A-choo!


In the cold winds, I suddenly sneezed violently. Rubbing the cold tip of my nose, only then I suddenly realized my scarf is gone.


You: I think I left my scarf in the plum garden...


Just when I looked up to speak, I continued sneezing again.


On the next second, a soft scarf still lingering with warmth wrapped around my neck, and blocked the cold winds off.



Sariel: Looks like I have to add another thing in my words earlier. I don't know how to leave things behind like you do.


You: You were indeed dissing me, you finally admitted it...


After muttering, I buried half of my face into the scarf. A familiar scent of sandalwood wafted to my nose, so I can't help but to blush a little.


You: Thank you.


Sariel: You said you left your scarf in the plum garden?


You: Yeah, I took it off when we made the snow lion, I placed it on the stone staircase. While it's still daytime, let's go back to look for it.


Sariel: Mm, let's go.



It snowed by the time we returned to the plum garden, there are no longer any visitors around. I found my scarf at the staircase, and raised my brow triumphantly at Sariel.


You: See? My memory is actually not bad.


He stood under the plum tree, a faint smile seemed to appear over the corners of his lips. The cold breeze brushes past, the hair by his neck swayed a little, looking a little cold.



My heart moved, quickly walking towards him and wrapped the red scarf in my hands to his neck.


Sariel hesitated for a moment, then raised an arm to hold my hand that is tidying the scarf.


Sariel: Why are you giving it to me?


You: I just think you looked a little cold, so I subconsciously... Do you want to change it back? I'll take mine off for you.


Just when I was about to take off the scarf on my neck, Sariel gently stopped me.


Sariel: It's too troublesome, just leave it this way.


He glanced at the scarf that I messed up, not saying a word, only seriously turning and flattening the folds on the scarf.


In the midst of the humidity of new snow, I seemed to smell his breath getting closer. It's faint, and carries a warmth that makes me a little tipsy.


Separated by the thin mists of our breaths, I looked up to observe Sariel's expressions quietly, only to have a petal on his head taking all my attention away.


I tiptoed and extended an arm to reach the petal, but unexpectedly, Sariel also lowered his head suddenly.


You: !


Our heads suddenly bumped. I subconsciously took a step backwards to pull some distance between us, but lost my balance in a panic.



Sariel: Watch out!


Sariel grabbed onto my wrist in time, wanting to pull me towards him.


Yet perhaps because of the sudden happening that caused an overexertion of force, I feel myself being affected by inertia, and actually dragged Sariel onto the ground instead.


Two of our weights heavily fell into the pile of snow, the white, loose snow are lifted by the winds, and fell all over our faces and heads.


You: Ugh...


Just when I was about to stand up, I simply raised an arm to grab onto something, only to touch on something warm. What follows is a light scoff by my ear.


Looking up, I saw the pair of faint golden eyes within am arm's reach, only to feel my heartbeat messing up for a moment.


Sariel didn't fall on me, but have instead supporting himself with his arms, being at a place very, very close to me.


You: Sariel? You good?



Sariel (flustering): ... Not good. Let go of your hand.


You: On it! Right away!


Only then I realized I'm still holding his earlobe, quickly keeping my hand back. A snowflake fell on there, making his earlobes seemingly even redder. 


His breath is also a little unstable, gently pouring on my face, our breaths intertwined.


I heard my accelerating heartbeat, and looked away in embarrassment.


Until the two of us stood up again, my heart only then finally returned to usual.


You: There was a petal on your head earlier, I just wanted to take it down...


I showed him the petal between my fingers, but Sariel also opened his palm.


In his palm, there's also a petal lying within.



Sariel: This is taken from your hair.


So the culprit that caused us falling down are these two little petals?


After staying silent for a few seconds, we smiled in tacit.


You: Sariel, let's come here when next spring comes.



Sariel: What are we coming here for? To fall down again?


You: Didn't you promised me and little Li Shu? How can you be so shameless?


I widened my eyes in surprise, but Sariel didn't reply to me directly, only to raise his arm and tidied my messy hair.



Sariel: I wasn't being shameless. I just didn't want someone to pull me to fall down again.


His palm moved downwards from my crown bit by bit, tidying the fringe over my forehead, then tidied the hair by my ears.


The fine snow fluttered, shrouding the world blended in white and plum red within the cloudy mists, making everything blurry.


The accumulated snow embellishing on the trees seemed like pear trees in bloom, calling for the spring days to come.


I feel the endless warmth from him, smelling the scent of flowers and sandalwood, feeling very reassured.



You: When spring comes, let's watch pear blossoms together here.


I can't help but to repeat again, lifting an arm to catch a snowflake fluttering from the skies, just like a petal falling into my palm.


You: To enjoy blooms together, to taste tea, to fish, to go to every attractions we didn't manage to go today.


I tilted my head sideways to meet Sariel's eyes, and told everything I had in mind.


You: Not only this town, there are also many many other places. No matter from spring to summer, or from autumn to winter, I wanted to go to these places with you...



Sariel: Okay.


Sariel's voice sounded by my ear. I lifted my head slightly, and met that pair of faint golden eyes.


His eyes are so close to me, that I can even see its deep emotions with that faint smile of his.



Sariel: If you wanted to, then let's visit them all. Not only this town, and no matter the season. I'll promise you. All of them.




Memory Recollection




The ribbon on the tree seems to hold many secrets within, waiting for me to search for it once again...


1. When did the ribbon get hung up?

2. Who hung the ribbon here?

3. Why is the ribbon hung here?



Night Destiny


Oh right, I remembered that it seemed like there's a red ribbon on that pear tree...



I lifted my head, and indeed caught onto a smudge of redness between the branches.



You: Sariel look, it seems like there's a red ribbon tied there.


I pointed towards the particularly eye-catching smudge of redness in the accumulated snow, signaling Sariel to look over there.



Sariel: It's probably for wishing purposes.


You: If it's only for wishing purposes, how could it possible for the entire tree to only have that one single ribbon? Also the colors looked really old...


I can't help but to examine that ribbon. It isn't brightly colored, some of its colors even faded, as if it has been through eons of time.



Sariel: It makes sense if it exists. Do you have to get to the bottom of everything?


You: I'm just curious alright.


Just when I was about to discuss a little more with Sariel, right then, a boy looking like he's around 10 years old rushed towards us like a cannonball, and ran past our side.


Boy: Whoa, this tree is so huge and tall!


He shouts in excitement, running around the giant tree and observed it for a while, then started to climb on it.


You: Little boy, wait!


I immediately extended my arms wanting to stop him, but the boy has already climbed onto the pear tree truck. He continued to extend his arms in attempts to climb higher--


The cold winds brushed the accumulated snow off. I raised my arms to block them off, but only to hear the boy's cries.


Boy: Ah! Who hit me?!


Looking up, I only see a thin branch whooshed as it slaps on the boy's hand. Before he responded to the situation, it even slapped harder on the boy's back.


The boy wanted to turn around in panic, but stepped in the air and fell straight into the thick pile of snow from the tree, and let out a loud cry.

Yet that tree branch swayed gently in the air, looking as if it's very proud of itself.


You: What's going on?!


I rubbed my eyes in disbelief, and looked towards Sariel subconsciously. He has obviously also seen what happened, and began to frown slightly.


You: Did the branch move? Could this tree also be... an Erda?


The frown between his brows deepened, as if he recalled something, but he couldn't grab onto that blurry memories, only to raise his arm and massaged his temples.


After a while, only then he slowly approached the tree trunk and spoke.



Sariel: It is...


Before his voice dies down, the tree branch started shaking again, its movements are even more violent than earlier.


Right after, the soil under our feet began to tremble vigorously as well!


Some tourist reacted to the situation and began yelling.


Tourist: It's earthquake!! Hurry and run!


Is it really an earthquake? I thought suddenly, but I still grabbed onto Sariel's hand subconsciously, wanting to catch up to the crowd.


You: Sariel, let's hurry and run too!


But just then, the grounds under our feet rumbled into a crack. A tree vine as thick as a wrist leaped from the crack and wrapped around my ankle.


You: ?!


I tried my best wanting to struggle it off, but there were only more roots appearing and rushed straight towards me--



Sariel: Y/N, don't move!


Sariel held my waist in his arm, and nimbly carried me to avoid the attacks of the roots.


As I fall into his embrace all of a sudden, I can only feel a strong wind brushing behind my head.


Looking up, I can only see the tree vines filling the skies looking like a living net, spreading towards us.


You: Is it attacking us? But why?!


Sariel: Let's avoid it first, we'll talk about the rest later.


I nodded, raising my hand to hold onto his arm, even my palms are sweaty.


Tourists have already escaped to all directions. The snow lifted up by the pear tree branches scattered in the air. Everything before us became white, and our sight are obstructed.


The dancing vines strikes from the air un dissatisfaction, the threatening air now turns into a howling wind.


Perhaps because he's still holding me, Sariel's movements aren't very fast, only barely avoiding the pear tree's attacks for a few times.


Seeing his brows turning into a deep frown, I clenched my teeth and made up my mind.


You: Sariel, how about we split up and run away?



Sariel: Are you that eager to enrich its recipe?


He refuted me almost instantly, and avoided a root's attack at the same time.


You: Pear trees are probably vegetarians...?


I subconsciously replied to him. Sariel only chuckled softly upon hearing so.



Sariel: Looks like you aren't that nervous, you even had the spare time to consider its dietary habits.


You: That's not the case! Hurry and consider what I said just now--


Sariel: The movement range of the branches are limited. If we arrive the castle walls over there, it won't be able to catch up.


Not far away, there's a black-greyish castle wall standing in the white snow.


I estimated the distance, and nodded at Sariel firmly.


You: Okay, then let's go there together.


Yet at the next second, my line of gaze captured a thin branch coming out from the crack, striking towards us between the vines!


You: Sariel, watch out!


In a haste, I raised an arm to block the tree vine. My palm is immediately wounded, so I subconsciously made a muffled noise in pain.


In an instant, unfamiliar emotions surged up. The world before my eyes looked like it's veiled with a layer of thick white mist, with messy scenes continuously appearing, yet they are fragmented.



?? (Sariel): If it can grow here, then why can't you?


A familiar voice sounded in between the snow-white heaven and earth. He pointed towards the weed trying to survive in the cold winds, and there's a little boy standing by his side.


I wanted to identify that person's face, but the heavy snow blurred my sight. The snowflakes immersed in scent of flowers, and very quickly, the land is filled with signs of spring.


The pear tree has grown. Under the flowers blooming like clouds, two blurry silhouettes are conversing in soft voices.



?? (Sariel): They said pear trees are unsuitable to make wishes, how about changing to another one?


The young girl dressed in red did not answer, only tiptoed and tied a red ribbon onto the tall branch.


"As mountains and waters meet, in fragrant spring we reunite." The elegantly sharp handwriting wrote.


The horse carriage droves afar in the warm winds of spring into the twisted mountain paths, finally disappearing from sight, leaving only two long trails of the carriage.


It's yet another winter with freezing snow and long nights.


The red ribbon on the branch is already slightly discolored, but the person under the tree never changed.


I can finally see his face clearly.



Sariel leans against the eaves, looking into the distant to somewhere extremely far, as if the dark night is a giant puzzle that is hard to solve even if he used all his might.


By then, the heavy snow has stopped. At the edge of the mountains in distant, the moon s hanging high up in the skies, pouring a false illusion of brightness to the land.


How long has it actually passed? He seemed to have been sitting there quietly since the beginning, as if he's the only person left in this world.


Besides the sounds of winds, there aren't anything else, it's so quiet that only loneliness is left.


The pear tree accumulated with snow seemed to have felt his emotions, shrugging off the snow, and bloomed all over the tree.


Amidst the falling snow, it seemed like a lamented sigh is heard.



Sariel: Are you alright?


I immediately returned to my senses and met Sariel's concerned gaze.


In a trance, the scene I saw earlier gradually overlapped with the man before my eyes, making me unable to differentiate which is the reality.


You: Sariel...?


He captured my sliver of hesitation, and his expressions changed slightly.


Sariel: What's wrong?


I shook my head, and remembered what happened just now in a trance. Did I see those images because I touched the vines? What exactly were those?


I tried helping myself up at a loss, and noticed we are already on the castle walls, and the pear tree not far away from us has returned to its calmness.


After breathing a sigh of relief, only then I felt my palm hurt, lowering my head to realize I was wounded when I blocked the vine earlier.


Sariel saw the wound on my palm and frowned deeply.



You: I'm fine, it doesn't hurt much...


Sariel: If you still remember that you are a designer, then you should value your hands more.


Sariel held my hand, fingertips moving slightly, gathering a faint light, and after some warmth, the wound on my palm has disappeared miraculously.


You: Wow, so impressive, is this your talent too?


I can't help but to exclaim. Just when my voice died down, a rumble could be heard again.


The pear tree that took so long to quiet down caused yet another commotion, with endless branches approaching us at high speeds!


Almost with no hesitations, Sariel stood up and stood in front of me-- 


But the vine movements seemed like it has been paused by a spell, suddenly stopped before Sariel.


What follows is a young voice sounding in the air.


???: Mister Qi?


Sariel and I both stunned.



???: Mister Qi, is that really you?


The branches that filled the skies disappeared without a trace in an instant, and what replaces it is a boy widening his eyes at us.


He looked like he's only eight or nine years old, dressed in white with white hair, even his lashes are white, but the round pupils are of bright gold.


Why does this feel so familiar?


Before I can think deeply, the boy has already ran towards us.



Boy: Mister Qi, have you forgotten me?


Sariel paused, frowning slightly, looking like his temples began to hurt again, and it took him so much effort to finally recall it.



Sariel: Li Shu?


Li Shu: Yes, it's me!


He looked overjoyed, yet I got a little confused.


You: Are you an Erda? That pear tree just now? Since you know Sariel, why did you suddenly attack us?


He startled slightly, and blinked at us bashfully.



Li Shu: I have not seen Mister Qi for too long, when you approached, I can only sense a very strong Erda. I thought you wanted to harm me, so I subconsciously... Until you used your talent just now, that I can recognize you.


The boy tried his best to look up, his eyes reflecting Sariel's silhouette.


The similar hair and eye color... No wonder I find it familiar, he looks exactly like a mini version of Sariel!


You: Sariel, could he be your brother?!


Sariel raised a brow, interrupting my nonsensical guesses.


Sariel:  White petals and yellow stamen, pear flowers have always been this color.


You: But his eyes are clearly golden...



Li Shu: This is the proof of Mister Sariel saving my life. If it weren't for him to rescue me with his talent, it's impossible for me to survive.


I was stunned, the fragmented scenes I saw when I fainted flashes before my mind again.


So those were all Li Shu's memories? The boy and man stood shoulder to shoulder in the heavy snows were him and Sariel?


A little corner of this past has gradually puzzled together, just when I was about to continue asking, Sariel have spoken instead.



Sariel: Have you always been here throughout all these years?


Little Li Shu nodded seriously, looking like a young adult.



Li Shu: I wanted to watch over this for you. I have been watching over this until the promise is realized when spring comes.


As he spoke, he opened his palm. A red ribbon appeared on his palm.


As if he has finished an important mission, he held the ribbon solemnly over his head, and handed it towards Sariel.


Because it is carefully protected, despite having been through eons of years, the words on it are still clear, only the ribbon is slightly discolored.


I saw the writing written on it, it's elegant yet powerful, it's a handwriting that I'm very familiar with.


You: "As mountains and waters meet, in fragrant spring we reunite"...


Sariel's gaze moved slightly, but he didn't take the ribbon.


Li Shu: Mister Qi?



Sariel: I no longer need this anymore.


His voice is very soft, but he sounded very firm.


Sariel: You should be the same, there's no longer a need for you to watch over anything here anymore. What happened in the past is in the past, you can leave this place, and do something you truly wanted to do.


Li Shu seemed to have not expect Sariel saying so, only widening his eyes in surprise and hold onto that ribbon tightly.


Li Shu: But, but... It's you who rescued me, taught me how to survive, and even found me a home. There's nowhere I wanted to go or do in particular, besides this place, there's nowhere I wanted to go.


Sariel: You should go. You are different from the normal trees, you don't have to be rooted here. On the contrary, you can be like a fish or a bird, travel anywhere, and look at all of the spring days out there. Perhaps there will be a day you will still meet me. But not at the same place you came from, and definitely not in the past. You should... be more free.



Li Shu: ... Then how about you, Mister Qi? Are you already free?


The golden eyes widened slightly. Sariel kept his gaze, drooping his gaze as he looked at his hand, grabbing the air faintly, as if he's trying to reconfirm something, and let go of something.


After being silent for a while, he nodded.



Sariel: Yes.


He placed his hand on Li Shu's crown, ruffling it gently, and no longer spoke.


The consoled child looked up, his gaze changed from being at a loss to hesitant, and finally into a faint smile.


Li Shu: I understood. Mister Sariel is now very happy, and I should be the same too.


Is he happy? I took a glance sideways, only feeling his expressions looking nothing different from usual times.


Just when I was a little confused, Li Shu suddenly turned his head towards me, and stuffed the red ribbon into my arms.


Li Shu: Then I'll leave this thing to you, jiejie.


You: To me? But why?



Li Shu: I'm just returning it to its original owner, since Mister Qi doesn't want it, I can only leave it to you.


You: What sort of saying is this...


I didn't quite understand his weird logic, so I was a little hesitant.


Sariel: If you didn't want it, then just simply tie it onto a random tree.


You: How can I do that?! Isn't this something very important?


I subconsciously tightened my grip onto the red ribbon. Uncertain of the reason, this touch made me feel reassured yet familiar.


Looking at the adult and child duo having no intentions to keep the ribbon, I can only sigh lightly, folding it well, and placed it carefully in my pocket.


Looking up once again, I noticed Li Shu smiling at me.


You: Is something wrong?


He shook his head, seemingly have recalled something again, and pointed towards the pear tree from afar.



Li Shu: When spring comes, the pear tree will blossom, and it's very very beautiful. Jiejie, do you want to see it?


You: Of course I'd like to, but it's winter now.


Li Shu: Just wait for a little longer, and it'll bloom.


I understood what he meant, and widened my eyes in surprise.


You: You can make pear trees to bloom in winter?


Li Shu: Yeah. By the time the next spring comes, I might not be here anymore. But I wanted to show you how a fully bloomed pear tree looks like...


Right after his voice dies down, it feels like there's spring breeze wafted in the air, and not far away from us, the snow on the pitch black tree branches began to melt.


In the fine, fluttering snow, the pure white pear blossoms bloomed one by one, bunch by bunch.


Tens of thousands of pear blossoms bloomed, just like the purest and prettiest creatures in the snowy world, burning everything in the past into ashes.


The pear tree that has been through millenniums bloomed miraculously in the coldest winter, this is perhaps a scene that I can only see once in my entire lifetime.



You: How beautiful...


I muttered, and by the time I returned to my senses, I noticed Li Shu has already left without notice.


You: Will we still see him in the future?



Sariel: Perhaps, or perhaps not. Don't worry, he'll live a better life, and he'll live a brilliant life.


You: Then how about you?


A soft chuckle is heard from my side. Sariel raised an arm to gently tap on my forehead.



Sariel: With a certain person by my side, will my life still remain monotonous?


Just when I was about to ask something, regarding the day in spring where the red ribbon is tied, and the lonely winter day that seemed endless.


But seeing Sariel's corners of lips curving up slightly, I suddenly feel like there's no need for me to ask anything anymore.


Perhaps what happened in the past was important, but it's already in the past.


It began to snow, fluttering, bringing a gust of white wind.


I seemed to have seen two silhouettes, one tall and short. They have been through a dreadfully long wait, and finally waited for the day where sunlight brightens the land, it's springtime.


So they both walked into the sunlight, and walked further and further away.


If they can meet again, it'll probably be a day of spring, in a certain somewhere in this world.



Feel free to check out other translations of Light and Night here!


If you'd like to support my translations, feel free to contact me for commissions or buy me a ko-fi here!


Until next update! :)





Translates on an irregular basis, works on short bursts of energy, suffering in muscle spasms. Travelled from north to south of Japan but would go back again and again. Also a polyglot.