Main Story Chapter 9-20: Enslaved Heart (被奴役的心) | Light and Night 光与夜之恋

12/05/2021 11:51:00 PM 0 Comments A+ a-

 

Please read Chapter 9-18 before this chapter, (read it here)



The skies outside of the castle seemed to have also changed, the dark clouds are billowing.


With a rumble, the lightning let out a fierce white light, I immediately closed my eyes.


By the time I opened my eyes again, I find myself in a midnight café. A movie poster that belonged to more than a decade ago is hanging on the wall, with a DVD machine connecting to speakers playing a classic song.



You: It feels like it happened a little over a decade ago...


Ring ring-- The hanging windchime made a hurried crisp sound, it's not melodious at all.


A youth fully drench pushes open the door in a hurry, with his face filled with dirt, there's even undried bloodstain in his front placket.



Youth: I'm sorry, someone is following me, can I take shelter here for a while?


I recognized him, it's the boy earlier. Judging from his age, he seemed to have been through the so-called "banishment", yet his life looked even more dangerous.


Youth: I can pay you.


He took out a couple of crumpled notes and coins, the metal rolls on the cashier, making clanging sounds.


Staff: This is a coffee shop, not a place for beggars.



Youth: I'm not a beggar, I--


He seemed to have difficulty opening up, only being able to repeat continuously, that he is not a beggar.


Customer A: It's all water on the floor, you made this place filthy.


Customer B: Had a fight with family right? Children nowadays are just so rebellious, not knowing the hardships of adults.


Staff: Did you hear that? Hurry and go back, don't cause trouble to the adults.


The youth stood in place in embarrassment, their smiles are clearly showing that what's happening has nothing to do with them, the scene is stabbing hurtfully into his eyes.


The whole world has turned into silence that never happened before.


He suddenly realized that he is now enemies with a world that he can't win against.


To his parents, he is the bloodline to continue the family's legacy.


To his grandfather, he coincidentally had some talents, and could pass the trials, and is useful for him.


To outsiders, he is just the young master from the Lu family living in happiness with no worries about anything.


Then what about to himself? Who is he? Is he Evan? But who is Evan?


He allowed the people chased behind him to bring him away, the youth realized in fear, that this time, he no longer knew how to resist.



???: Young master, you have yet to complete the trial tonight.



Youth: I told you I can't do it! That's an innocent life!



???: The master said he believe that you can definitely do it. If you can't, then you'll have to practice until you can. You are the one that passed through the trials of "banishment". You are shouldering the future of the Strains.


Rainwaters flowed down along his cheeks, like the fate that fluttered without a sound.



I dare not to continue watching anymore, shutting the door with all my might, tears have subconsciously began rolling down..


He has always been encouraging and consoling me.


He is the all-mighty Doraemon.


He said that if it were for him, he will definitely not open the door for those who asked for help. Yet ie still saved me in the coffee shop.


Is it because he has experienced a similar helplessness, that he can't bear to stand by and do nothing?


I don't know, but that line still echoed by my ear.



Evan: As long as you believe in it, I'll be your spell from now on.



I lifted my head up and looked out from the window, I seem to be able to see that rusty, fully scarred sun from the layers of clouds.


The thought of wanting to bring him away from darkness has vigorously entered my mind.


Even though I don't know if all of these are true or false. But does that even matter anymore?


I turned around, and pushed the door open with all my might.



A silhouette is strangling the youth's neck, with bloodshot eyes, showing his fangs.


Right when I was about to rush over and help the youth out of the situation, that silhouette have collapsed onto the floor, just like a wooden puppet with broken strings.



The youth drooped his head as he stood under the pouring rain.


Blood flows between his fingers, dripping onto the puddles of water by his feet, spreading into circles and circles of broken ripples.


As if he has felt my gaze, he slowly turned his face over.


I saw a pair of dark red eyes.


But even with such a color, there are still no light within them, it's lifeless, so dull like a pool of dead water.


Has he completed the so-called trial?


What is he thinking right now? Is he feeling that he has nowhere to go?


I can't help myself but to approach him.


You: You can see me, right?


What answered me was only the violent sounds of rain.


The youth looked at me calmly.


Youth: Stay away from me, or I will kill you.


[Choice]



Night: Talk to him

Light: Pull his hand directly




[Night Choice: Talk to him]



You: You won't harm me. You were only forced to--


Youth: It's still killing even if I were forced to.


You: Then the people who stand by and do nothing are also killers. Including me, I saw you being brought away, I was killing too. But don't you stop retaliating. Don't punish yourself because of others' mistake. You can walk out from here.



Youth: But what's the end after walking out? Do you know?


You: I...


He looked at me with those eyes that has already been tamed and numbed by fate, making all of the words I wished to tell him to be stuck in my throat.


But I'm unwilling to admit defeat, stumbling and ran forward when I was about to grab his hand. The floor began to vibrate, the surrounding scene began to twist and turn, and became gradually blurry--



[Light Choice: Pull his hand directly]


I don't believe hi words, because those pair of eyes contain indifference, pain, despair, yet there's no cold intents to kill.


I pulled his hand.



You: Come with me.



I dragged him through the thick doors, and closed the thundering clouds behind our backs.


After running along the long corridor, the footsteps behind me are very heavy, but thankfully he's following me.


The doors on both sides opened and closed crazily, releasing banging sounds. Each of them are having Evan inside, he's smiling at me under the bright lights in the café. 



Youth: Where are you going?


You: I'm bringing you away from here, to the outside.


The end of the corridor shines in a brilliant white light, I suppose that would be the end. I welcomed that light, and crashed right into it.



Youth: What's different between the outside and inside?


You: It's different! There are the warm sun, the gentle winds, the bustling crowd, and many delicious food... And if you're willing, I will listen to your story, and then--


I turned around, to meet a smiling gaze, and all of a sudden, all of my words are stuck by my throat.


I can clearly feel that he does not even care about those. He disdains them.


A mist-like white glow surrounded me, and the hand I'm holding has disappeared.



You: ... !!!


??: Y/N.


I immediately opened my eyes, a familiar pair of eyes entered my view.



??: Are you alright?


You: Evan?


He looked at me calmly, showing no expressions over his face.


Evan: Did you have a nightmare?



You: Nightmare?


Yes, there's no castle, no corridor, and there's no youth with his face stained with blood. I'm sitting in Evan's car, it's drizzling outside the windows, and nothing has changed.


You: Was I having a nightmare? But why were they so real?


I muttered with lingering heart palpitations as Evan gently ruffled my hair.



Evan: Yeah. I returned to see you laying on the seat, you looked like you were in great pain. Was it a nightmare?


I don't know how I should answer him. If I were to say that was a nightmare, then was that my nightmare, or Evan's nightmare?


Is the youth in the dreams him? Have I dreamed about Evan's past? How ridiculous does this sound? I think there's just no way for me to ask this.


We remained silent for a long time, only Evan gently patting my back rhythmically. 



You: Thank you, Evan. Perhaps I have really had a very long and real nightmare. If it's possible, I wish everything in that dream never happened.


Looking at the girl, Evan's gaze already has a sliver of pity that he hasn't noticed. He recalled her extremely pained expressions in the illusions. 


At the beginning, no matter how much fear the girl have felt, there were no changes in the Spirit Ring. So he strengthened the illusion, until her mental is at its brim of death, and only then the Spirit Ring has finally shined, and in that instant, the colors have all dispersed.


His personal guess is now proven.


But her powers seemed to have far exceeded his imaginations, that she even entered his memories through the illusion.


It all started out from bits of compassion.


Afterwards, he wanted to plant a pawn. One that will finally shine in the end, one that would be the best pawn in his company.


Since she has such a brilliant talent with a pair of pure eyes, and has been treating him sincerely.


Yet right now, she is highly possible the strongest weapon that can be used against Lu Ting, or even all Strains, a natural weapon.


And he is the first person to find out about this.


He should be feeling relieved about this, but that joy has not descend as expected.


The slight feelings of unable to have full control made Evan keep his expressions.


.

.

.

.


 
NIGHT END to be updated!


While waiting for the next part... feel free to check out other translations for Light and Night here!


If you'd like to support my translations, feel free to contact me for commissions or buy me a ko-fi here!


Until next update! :)





Translates on an irregular basis, works on short bursts of energy, suffering in muscle spasms. Travelled from north to south of Japan but would go back again and again. Also a polyglot.