Study Skills Workshop

3/28/2014 10:09:00 PM 0 Comments A+ a-

Came across this link that my senior shared in Facebook, and I find it very true, something worth sharing. ( Link: 10 worst study habits to avoid )

Also, it reminds me of a workshop that I attended about a month ago, held in my university by my Management Principles lecturer, also the person that motivated me to continue writing even though I'm in the IT field.

I recalled how terrible it felt when I see my GPA of 2.9975 in my first semester, that it was so close to 3.0. That 0.0025 of difference frustrates me so much that it drives me insane! Then, the worse thing on the following semester is that I took a subject on Interpersonal Communication when I was expecting it to be more practical but it ends up with tons of test and stuff and I gotten myself a C+! If I dropped that subject earlier and took only Basic Professional Writing with Sunzi’s Art of War and Moral Studies, my GPA for my short semester would be 4.0.  

Come to think again, perhaps it was my own fault for having a poor studying skills where I only put my passion into whatever that I like. I finally made my move, after two freaking semesters! Finally something that I might be able to do to improve my grades!

So, after my Database class at 1200, I dashed to the next class for the talk in SE109. How convenient, it was just next door! And since it is a Friday where I have no classes after 1200, I stayed for the whole duration of the talk until 1400. I would be napping happily in the bus or at home if I return home early anyway.

There were about 35 participants from various courses that I was the only person from SE. It started with Puan June starts to give out papers for us to evaluate ourselves by rating how we perform in the university. Since I am having a rather low self-esteem that I rated everything with lousy marks and ended up scoring only 7. She then gave us about the results that says that I’m doing OK but could be doing better, and suggests me to ask my lecturers or counsellors about ways I could improve my study habits and grades.

Throughout the workshop, she told us on seven common mistakes that university students make, tips before, during and after lectures, and seven fast learn studying skills. It was so shocking when the words “Studying at home and listening to music” slipped from her lips in the list of common mistakes because that was exactly what I did! She then says that procrastination, which is something that I have a PhD in for dealing with assignments at the very last minute that I get a Permanent Head Damage for it, not making notes, highlighting textbooks, cramming or exams, also a part of what I did thanks to my PhD in Procrastination, and skipping classes. (More like sleeping in classes for me, thanks to my PhD that gave me sleepless nights!)

She also mentioned about reviewing lecture notes before classes and make sure to get enough of rest so that we could focus on what is being taught during lectures while taking notes, then review the notes within a week after lecture.

Then, she made us to pair with another person so that we could ‘reprogram’ our brain by telling us to sort of hypnotize our brains (where she calls it affirmation) by saying ‘I’m a smart learner!’ loudly to our partners, then sharing about what we plan to do to improve our grades and yeah we blurt out random thoughts. 

  
Afterwards, she explained on the learning skills where she suggests for us to increase the strength of our minds by doing online quizzes, stop cramming and do distributed practices, using all senses to study with breaks, attending classes, taking good notes and having good retention skills. Developing a deep interest towards the subjects that we are learning would help a lot, too! We then took a photo with Puan June and the workshop is dismissed. 

To think that the workshop ended, I somehow find improving my grades important for me to obtain a scholarship for my master studies, since I have a strong desire to study in Japan after my graduation, a scholarship is needed so that I could reduce my parents’ burden, and also my own burden. If I could get myself a first class degree, my life afterwards might be easier.

So, from now on, I would put my effort in to develop my interest in studies, so that I will be driving myself to study and learn the skills that I would need to achieve grades that would satisfy me and get myself a Japanese scholarship for my Masters, and even for my career. 

Hope things will go well from now on.

Translates on an irregular basis, works on short bursts of energy, suffering in muscle spasms. Travelled from north to south of Japan but would go back again and again. Also a polyglot.