Main Story Chapter 13-13: Witness of the Past (过去的证人) | Light and Night 光与夜之恋

6/15/2022 09:46:00 PM 0 Comments A+ a-

 


 Before reading this chapter, please consider reading Chapter 13-11 here!


TRIGGER WARNINGS!!!

Mentions of physical and mental abuse, school bullying, electrocution, mentions of snakes and rats, torture, violence, humiliation, reference to actual world incident.






You: Hi, two lattes please.


Staff: Understood, please wait for a moment.


I chose to take a seat by the window, and look out the window absentmindedly. 


An hour ago, I was evacuated by the police of the fire venue, and it took me a long time to calm myself down.


I knew about the reason behind this sudden disaster, but nobody would believe me.


Just thinking of this, I almost immediately dialed Osborn's number.


I can't wait to find out the investigation results from commissioning him, and I truly hope for this disaster to end as soon as possible.


Osborn wasn't surprised when he received my call, saying that it's a coincidence that there are already some progress in the investigation, so we agreed to meet in a coffee shop near my place.


"Knock knock"-- Just when I was spacing out, my table is knocked.



??: Dear miss, the latte you ordered is sold out, how about I change them into bitter gourd juice specially made for Xiao the Fifth?


The voice sounds deep, with a teasing tone.


Just when I was about to refute "there's no such drink" by reflex, I suddenly came into realization, looked up, and meet right into the pair of sharp-looking eyes.


Osborn puts on a black leather jacket today, it's the one I said it looked great, and it complements his tall figure even better.


You: Osborn, you're here!



Osborn: Mhm, you haven't told me if you wanted the special drink.


You: There's no such drink alright.


Osborn: How could it not exist? By just pinching your face right now, I'll be able to squeeze a cup of bitter gourd juice already.


He spoke as he pinched my cheek.


You: Ouch!


Osborn: Don't move alright, the squeezing isn't done yet.


He lets go of his hand after I've swept my dejection off and finally acted fiercely towards him, then sat on my opposite, and casually overlapped his hands together.


Osborn: Dear miss commissioner, what makes you suddenly want to learn about the investigation progress?


The person before me is someone I can completely trust, so I poured everything that I saw just now and all my feelings out.


When he heard about a passerby combusting, Osborn showed an almost unnoticeable frown, but returned to normal very quickly.


It's only the rage that remained at the edge of his eyes that allowed me to understand, that he is actually having the same feelings as I do.



You: Osborn, have you ever had that kind of feeling? When accidents happen around you, although it doesn't really have anything to do with you, but it feels like... these are all just an illusion.


Osborn: Of course I had. I had this feeling when I met you for the first time. In the end, it proves that we are indeed related, and it's pretty deep.


You: What relationship are we in?



Osborn: The relationship where we shared hardships together in the warehouse when we were kids, did you forget about it again?


You: No, I didn't forget...


He glanced at me teasingly, then looked normal again a while later.


Osborn: Alright, I'll stop teasing you already. I know what you're trying to say. If this world is completely rotten, there's no way for us to stay out of it either.


You: Yeah.


Osborn smiles, gleaming in his eyes.


Osborn: To be honest, I was still thinking just how much of the investigation progress I should tell you.


You: Did you originally plan to hide some of the contents from me?


Osborn: Mhm, I thought of it before. I kept having the feeling based on my understanding about you, that if you happen to know them all, you'll definitely act recklessly. Back then, I thought it's better if you know lesser about it, at least it means that you won't be involved in dangers too quickly.


I stunned, and understood what happened. Perhaps Osborn has already understood that the future with endless cycles of dangers are unavoidable ever since I commissioned him.


He struggled between whether to allow me to be oblivious about the truth by staying away from the chaos, or to place myself in danger but knowing clearly about everything.


Perhaps I would regret it out of fear back then, or even resent him for telling me about it, since those who knows nothing are fearless after all.


Osborn: Of course, it was also quite silly of me to think that, and I've belittled you.



You: No, you really didn't. I understand your concerns.


I shook my head aggressively.


You: Honestly speaking, when I just commissioned you back then, there was an instant, just that instant, I was hoping that you won't accept it.


Osborn: Why is that?


You: Because what happens if it's very dangerous...? Am I very selfish? It's clear that others will also encounter the same dangers if they accept it. But now, I think it's wonderful that you are the one that has accepted my commission.


Osborn stunned for a moment, and thoughtfully raised an arm to rub my head.



Osborn: It's easy to lose sleep if you overthink.


I smiled, and also raised an arm to touch the top of his hair.


You: If it were in the past, I'll only have design in my mind, and all I would think were just about how to design better-looking clothings. Back then, I couldn't see the shadows of society, and I might not believe it even if I was informed about it. 



You: And also for example, a while ago, although I've seen some bad things, and I also understood the existence of the Erdas and the Strains, but I didn't have a strong will to understand this world back then. If there aren't that many thoughts, being ignorant is also a way to live. But after I've seen so many shady things happening, I am unable to be ignorant.


Osborn: So, are you ready?


You: Yeah. I'm ready. But I'll let you know in advance, I'd still feel afraid as a newbie.



Osborn: It's fine, since we are a duo, you'll be in charge of feeling afraid, and I'll be in charge of not letting you to feel afraid.


You: It's a deal.


I picked up my cup, and gently bumped it towards Osborn's. The glass cup made a crisp sound.


Osborn opens the file he carried with him, and pushed all of the documents contained within towards me.


Osborn: I've managed to investigate these so far, you can first take a look, then ask me if there are anything that you don't understand.


You: Okay.


The files have documented the entire process of Yangyang's kidnap, and the deleted article that Yangyang's mother released publicly.


Upon flipping the pages, it's the contents about Project Eclipse.


You: Project Eclipse has begun 15 years ago?!


It says that Project Eclipse has been secretly conducted since the establishment of an academy named Yu Da Academy 15 years ago.



Osborn: On surface levels, Yu Da Academy is a fully enclosed educational institution. The academy promotes itself to have treatment and educational functions, and it's used to correct teen's anti-society and anti-family behaviors. The treatments were for unstable symptoms of mental illnesses that hasn't been developed. As long as disobedient children are sent into the academy, in less than half a year, parents will be returned with a mature and obedient child*.


*This is a reference to an academy in China (now closed) named 豫章书院. It's a 'school' that advertises where they can 'correct' disobedient behaviors in children. Parents sent children to the school with hopes for them to become a good person, but in fact, it's the other way round - children are abused, tortured, even ECT is used. students get locked up, hurled hurtful words, humiliated, degraded, harmed, etc. and those who attempted an escape got treated worse. This incident lasted for years. children died in that 'school'. It's a very heavy topic, and if you are interested to read about the article in CN, it can get graphic and very uncomfortable, but if you're okay with it, you can consider reading this.



Osborn: Not only the the academy can help parents to complete their "self-cultivation education", but also providing shelter to the homeless children and teens. At one point of time, the academy was highly popular. Only until 8 years ago, upon an escaped student's persistent exposure, the academy's actions can finally be fully exposed. The so-called "self-cultivation education" were merely humiliations and abuse again and again. The students' prides have been destroyed, mentally numbed, and became obedient shells.


It's said that according to narrations from the rescued students, the daily lives in the academy were dark, and "death" has became their only hope. They were all stripped off from clothings, sleeping on dirty marbles, and they are always accompanied by rats and snakes.


In that academy, to be humiliated and abused is considered a gratitude towards the teacher's kindness, and the reporting and exposing of secrets between students are called discipline, with only the slightest bit of disobedience, students will be given "correction treatment" through electrocution and other methods.


Nobody would save them, nobody would hear them screaming with all their might. By the time their tears are dried up, they've also lost their thoughts to revolt.


I shed tears as I read, feeling extremely uncomfortable, and also feeling extremely enraged. The deep sense of hopelessness has far exceeded my imaginations.


People are living there just like ants, with their prides and personality being violently beaten by others. Every existence of humanity are all gone.


Osborn did not speak, only to look down a little, signaling me to read further.


Osborn: After the exposure, Yu Da Academy is widely boycotted. The person in charge of the academy is finally jailed, but was released two years ago.


The matter seems to have ended just like that. But looking further, I realized that the truth is far from being as simple as this.


You: Yu Da Academy... was actually the experimental base for Project Eclipse?!



Osborn: Yeah. The actual Yu Da Academy is a base for gathering human subject for studying, experiment, and creation. The Strains used over a thousand student's bodies to perform life experiments to strip off human souls from the body. They then created an item called "vessel", to provide a brand new body for the Strains with degenerating bodies. All of the abuse and torture were to destroy their prides, allow them to be mentally numb, so it is easy to proceed with the stripping of their souls in the future.


I can't utter a single word, only to feel my heart being stepped aggressively, and it's my first time understanding the feeling overly sad that I can't cry.


This is something that has once happened in a city I am living in, yet I didn't know the slightest bit about the truth behind it.


Suddenly, my palm feels warm. It's Osborn who's holding my hand.


Looking up, he's looking at me with a worried gaze.


You: I'm fine, I'm just, feeling very sad. I'm just feeling that this world shouldn't be like this...


Osborn: I understand.


He held my hand tightly once again. I'm not sure if it's my misperception, but I can feel his hands slightly trembling too, and the pair of deep, clear eyes seemed to have fallen into the ashes.


He's also feeling sad and angry.



Osborn: A total of 89 students died in the academy back in that year. And those who left alive, have all suffered from severe mental illness. Don't you find it an irony? The evil only cares about their desires, and as long as they show a good attitude when they have done something wrong, there will be people believing that they will change. 



Osborn: It's as though they are telling everyone, that if you deceive and weep enough, you'll eventually be forgiven and forgotten, and those who are struggling and innocent is instead the ones who are paying the price. It's as though these students have to admit that they are unlucky, that they deserve to die, and they deserve to be hurt.


Each and every word from him are heavy and painful, and there's an instant, that I feel like he is one of the innocent people.


You: Did you know? I suddenly had the thought, that I have a really, really strong hopes to have a superhero to descend from the skies and punish these people. Because there's really nothing we can do about them.


Osborn: They will pay their price.


After responding to me, Osborn looks at me as though he has recalled something.



Osborn: Actually, not long after the person in charge of the academy was released from jail, he died in a car accident.


You: Car accident?! That's too much of a coincidence, it's just like... a punishment.


Osborn: Yeah. Although I don't believe in karma.


It's perhaps this information that has allowed my inner unreleased anger to have an outlet. I calmed down, and continued reading.


What comes after is the frequent fires that are happening recently. These fires are all caused by the failed "vessels" from Project Eclipse.


It's just the same as the anonymous letter we saw from Yangyang's mother's place. Looking down, however, I found something noteworthy.


You: The fire in Z MUSEUM was manmade?


I looked at Osborn in confusion, and he nodded.


Osborn: This is what I deduced from the traces in the venue and the "preview" you mentioned before. I guess it's a willing sacrifice from a vessel that's about to self combust, wanting to attract attention from the society through the fire.


You: Is it Tian Zhen? I saw the girl in the hospital before. But the news article ended up being deleted.



Osborn: It means that the power behind the scenes are much greater than they have imagined.


I originally knew that this matter will definitely not be something simple, but I didn't expect such a heavy story behind it, that death is needed in exchange for attention from society.


A girl that's only seven or eight years old might perhaps acted as the "price" without knowing what death really is, yet in the end, the truth is still covered tightly.


Osborn: What's wrong?


You: I feel sullen. I find that it's unfair for her, but I also think she's really great. From the results, the truth of the matter is still unknown. Everyone are still thinking that it was just a normal fire.


Osborn: Not everyone, at least you knew about it. As long as there's one person who sees it, then there's a chance for everyone to see it.


You: Yeah! Then did you manage to investigate the identity of the anonymous sender?


Osborn: The person was highly alerted, the surveillance cameras only managed to capture his back. I've asked others to investigate nearby surveillance footages too. If all goes well, we'll be able to find him int he next two days.


Just then, Osborn's phone rang. I saw "Wen Wan" on the display.


Osborn: Hello? Alright be straight to the point, don't talk so much of nonsense. It's out? Okay, send it to me.


After quickly hanging up the call, he held my hand right away.


Osborn: What a coincidence. We got that person's phone number and location.


You: ! Then shall we... first contact him? This person probably knows a lot about Project Eclipse.


Osborn: As long as you've thought it through.


I lifted my head up and met Osborn's gaze. The bright eyes reflects my face within, with nervousness all hidden without a trace, leaving only an assuring expression.


It's as though he's saying that he's going to follow my lead.


You: But if we just call him all of a sudden, he will definitely be alerted, and it's going to be even more difficult to look for him. It won't do if we go straight to him as well, your temperament is too fierce, it's hard for you to not gain attention if you stand right there.


Osborn: Why didn't I know you disdain me so much?


You: What do you mean I'm disdaining you, I'm praising you alright? How about this, I'll go! I don't look threatening. Since he has proactively delivered a letter to Yangyang's mother, then I'll interview him pretending that I'm a freelance media influencer.


Osborn didn't answer, only lowering his gaze and playing with his phone, but I know he's thinking and weighing the situation.


You: What do you think?


Osborn lifts his head up, raising a brow, as though he's still hesitating.


[Choice]



Light: Beg coquettishly

Night: Take a tough stance and persist



[Light Choice: Beg coquettishly]


Looks like it isn't going to be easy for him to agree to it, so I can only use my killer move.



You: What do you think, Osborn Gege?


Hearing so, Osborn startled slightly at first, then uncontrollably burst out in laughter, that even his brows curved.


He looks at me tenderly, with a faint tint of redness seen on his thin ear, and I wonder if it's a joke from the sunlight.



[Night: Take a tough stance and persist]



You: I think this is the best method at the moment, if you aren't going to agree, then I'll... secretly look for WenWan to get the person's phone number and look for him myself.


Osborn: Would he be daring enough to give it to you?


Osborn looks at me baffled, and finally spoke after staring at me for a while. 



Osborn: Alright, but I'll have to go with you. If anything happens, you have to listen to me, and you aren't allowed to disobey my command.


MC: Okay!


.
.
.
.
.


Chapter 13-15 is now updated here!

Alternatively, please feel free to check out other translations for Light and Night here!


If you'd like to support my translations, feel free to contact me for commissions or buy me a ko-fi here!


Until next update! :)



Translates on an irregular basis, works on short bursts of energy, suffering in muscle spasms. Travelled from north to south of Japan but would go back again and again. Also a polyglot.