Main Story Chapter 11-08: Along with the Sins (与罪同行) | Light and Night 光与夜之恋

4/09/2022 01:02:00 AM 0 Comments A+ a-


Trigger Warnings: Kidnapping, mentions of death, mentions of blood, trauma

Read at own risk!


Read the previous part here!


 

I rushed to the washroom entrance in large strides, and opened the frosted door that was closed.


Jesse quickly took a large step backwards, and only to release a sigh of relieve after seeing that I was the one barging in.



Jesse: You shocked me to death--


You: How are you getting scared when you didn't even do anything bad?


Jesse: What happens if I am showering naked in there? Are you going to barge in too?


You: ... It's not like I have never seen you when I was little anyway.


Jesse: How could that be the same? My figure is now completely different from childhood, touch it if you don't believe me!


You: Who said I'm going to touch it?!


I was clearly here to ask him if he's okay, but how did things turn out this way?!


You: I saw you looking pale just now, that's why I followed you here. Aren't you going to need rest after each ritual done?


Jesse: You're this worried about me, huh.


He grinned as he leans down, leveling his line of gaze with mine, corners of his lips curving upwards slightly.


Jesse: What should I do? I am so tempted to say that I expend too much energy just now, my body is exceptionally weak now.


He wobbled his body and acted as if he's going to collapse onto me. I quickly caught him.


You: So how exactly are you feeling right now?



Jesse: I feel very good, it's just that my heartbeat is a little fast.


You: ......


Jesse: I can't possibly let you know that I'm just here to wash my face to freshen up. Because I pulled an all-nighter last night.


You: Huh??? You made me worry for you so much!


Jesse: it's fine now, I promise to rest early from now on, and I'll never pull all-nighters ever again. But you will also have to get used to this in the future, those little anomalies I have after rituals are actually all normal. You're always this worried, that you'd make me feel like I'm a little weak. So hurry and forget those scenes earlier.


You: Okay okay, then you go ahead and wash your face, I'll go back.


After patiently waiting for the girl to return to the room, the smile on Jesse's face has finally vanished.


He trembled as he opened the buttons of his shirt, bending down, and quickly turned the water tap with another hand.


With a gush, a mouthful of black blood stained the yellowing base, like dirty stains of rust, then very quickly flushed into the pipes.


The sounds of waters drowned the sounds of vomiting, it is still quiet on the outside of the washroom.


Jesse wiped off the traces of blood with no changes in his expressions, and buttoned up only after ensuring there's nothing stained on him.


He stared at the whirl of the waters, and he stared for a very long time.


Until his muddled mind has finally gotten to a sliver of clarity, that he finally took a deep breath, and replayed the scenes he saw earlier in his mind.


He didn't lie to Yangyang's mother, he already knew Yangyang's location, and Yangyang has indeed not encountered any actual danger at the moment.


It's just that-- The rope that Yangyang is bound to is tied into a unique knot. With an edge of the knot folded into a double-S shape, with the head of the rope wrapping a few cycles towards the main rope's direction.


Jesse: Hangman's knot...


The familiar knot almost made his heart pause.


He recalled the last time he encountered this hangman's knot was in a winter night in many years ago, tied to his hands.



He was hung somewhere high up, and he can only barely watch the expressions of the man knelt down.


The man looked up towards him, smiling despite suffering in great pains. He said, son, I'm sorry, daddy can't watch you to become the most powerful person in the Xia family anymore.


Jesse's Father: But don't be afraid, to have you is daddy's greatest blessing. So don't cry, and protect this family in daddy's place. The first step to becoming a man... is to not shed tears easily.


CG Bathroom


Jesse's chest heaved a couple of times, and it took him great strength to not let his tears shed.


He looked at himself in the mirror, looking a little pale, but there aren't anything overly abnormal.


This time, he must drag out every bit of the power behind that hid behind that person.


Jesse closed his eyes, wanting to perform the ritual once again, however the pain coming from his chest have repetitively interrupted the ritual.


He can only grab a phone and dialed a number.


???: Didn't you take a day off to do something important? How did your good conscience suddenly brought you to look for me?


Jesse: Yu Yang, do you still remember the kidnapping case seven years ago?


Yu Yang: Of course. What's wrong?


The tone from the other end of the phone became serious.


Jesse: This morning, the same kidnapping case as that year happened again. I saw that knot again, the hangman's knot.


Yu Yang: Although the hangman's knot isn't normal, but it isn't that unique either.


Jesse: But it's folded into a double-S shape, it's the same knot, there's no way I could've forget this for my entire life! It's that person, it must've been him.


Yu Yang: Jesse, what exactly are you talking about?! The criminal back then has been sentenced to lifetime imprisonment, and has been in our special supervision prison, you were the one that watched him when he was arrested.


Jesse: I know. But you also knew, he still had accomplices.


The other end of the phone went silent for a couple of seconds, then a sigh is heard.


Yu Yang: There was only a single criminal in that kidnapping case, this is a conclusion the organization has came to after a whole year's investigation. You said you saw another person, I trust you in that. But that person didn't leave any traces, and you haven't been able to find him either, so it's impossible for the rest to believe in that.


Jesse (sighs): ...... Go to HuiNan Rd. at the north of the city, and look for an unopened little shop. There's a boy being kidnapped. You have to get rid of it before normal police arrives.


Yu Yang: Okay, I'll make arrangements. You should first calm down and not scare yourself. The tragedy of the past will never happen again. I'll call you after the matter's solved!


Jesse's hand gripped tightly onto the basin, so strongly that his fingertips became pale.


For once again, he felt himself falling into the mud swamps that took him great effort to walk out from.


The muddy spots of anger back then has never been washed away over time, but have instead became one with his skin, and became a new facade of his.


It's just his misperception that makes him think he has walked out of it.


CG Jail



???: You must've felt relieved after capturing me. Seeing that you're looking so pitiful, let me tell you a secret. There are countless of people like me in this world. 



???: Aren't you at rage now? So raged you wanted to kill me, correct? I've told your father long ago, it's the most unwise choice to go against us Strains. He hasn't even understood this clearly before his death. 



???: So what if you escaped overseas? Do you think you can protect your family after joining LianShan Organization? Your mother must've been very sad, it's a pity that your grandparents have passed away...



???: But I recall that you still have a good friend in the country? Don't be agitated. I'm now in the prison, so of course I can't do anything to her, no? But whether if other Strains would do anything... That's not something I can guarantee.


CG Bathroom


Each and every word from here are carved into his brain, that he can still recall that arrogant pair of eyes behind the glass and his hysteric howls in anger.

100031039

Right then, sounds of knocking are heard, accompanied by the girl's calls. It's very, very soft, but they ave all knocked into his heart.


Jesse suddenly felt the very familiar panic.


The trouble he was helplessly incapable to solve is now gushed towards the 21-year-old him by the rivers of destiny, and this time, he can't ever let... 



You: Jesse, the kidnappers sent a message again!


Jesse opened his mouth, only able to find his voice again after a few seconds, but he still can't help but to tremble a little.


Jesse: Okay, I'll be there soon.


The moment the door is opened, I saw the tiredness in Jesse's eyes, but it only took him an instant to show the familiar smile again.


Jesse: Did you say the kidnappers sent a message again?


You: Yeah, hurry and look at it with me.



We returned to the living room. Jesse took the phone from Yangyang's mother, and quickly read the kidnapper's message again.


The kidnapper says, as long as Yangyang's mother follows his request to release a news of fire in an art gallery at 6PM sharp this evening, he'll then release Yangyang as promised.


In order to prove his statement, the kidnapper have also sent another photo of Yangyang.


It's just as Jesse said, Yangyang is now in a seemingly abandoned place. Although his hands are tied, but his emotions and conditions are very normal.


Yangyang's mother hence let out a sigh of relief, but I kept having the feeling that something isn't right.


Is this kidnapper spending all of his efforts to kidnap Yangyang just to release a news? The internet is so advanced now, why don't he release it on his own?


Also how does he know there will be a fire in the art gallery tonight? I recalled the "self combustion" he mentioned in his letter, and I can only feel chills down to my spine.


You: What do you plan to do next? Will you publish a news according to what he said?


Yangyang's mother rubbed her reddened eyes, and her eyes slowly became clear.


Yangyang's Mother: I'm a mother, so I will do what I can to let my son come back safely. Thank you for today, I don't know what else to say besides thank you.


She bowed deeply towards us, the message is already shown through her gestures.


Jesse: You have your reasons no matter what you do, we can understand that.



It's still only afternoon when we left Yangyang's house. It's only been two hours, but my mood felt like I've suffered for a few days.


You: Jesse, do you believe in the "project eclipse" the kidnapper said? Also the fire at 6PM.


The answer didn't arrive. Jesse looked down and stared at the floor, seemingly having something in his mind.


I can only raise my voice to ask again, and only then he turned around and looked at me in surprise.


You: Why are you spacing out?


Jesse: Was I? I was just thinking of what happened just now. What did you ask me just now?


You: What I wanted to ask was, do you believe in what the kidnapper said?


Different from usual, he still didn't answer me, but instead asked me a rhetorical question.


Jesse: Do you believe it?


You: I don't know... There's something I never told you before. Actually, half a year ago, I encountered a case about human transformation experiment.


Jesse: What did you say?!


He held onto my shoulders tightly, that his overreaction surprised me.


Jesse: When? Where?


You: About half a year ago, I got acquainted to a female celebrity named Lin Yao because of work. During that time, there were a few "vampire incident" in Guang Qi. After that, I learnt that these incidents are all done by Lin Yao's friend. That person told us, that his body was transformed. But it's just because his transformation failed, so he can't control himself but to suck blood.


Jesse looked at me without a blink, with worries filling his eyes so much that they are almost overflowing.


You: I think the transformation experiment he said is highly possible to be the same thing as the "Project Eclipse" the kidnapper said. Say, do you think I should contact the female celebrity, who knows if she might know something? By the way, I also got acquainted to a bounty hunter, I remember that he is also making investigations on this matter, who knows he might have clues. Also also, there's something that I have been forgetting to tell you. I can actually touch items to feel the memories humans have left, I might be able to offer some help--


Jesse: Y/N.


Jesse forcefully interrupted my words.


I suddenly noticed, his hands have already held my shoulders tightly. He's holding so tightly, that it's as if he won't tremble only by doing so.



Jesse: Why didn't you tell me all of these earlier?


You: It feels like there aren't much chance for me to say them... Also it has been so long ago, there's nothing much to tell either. Let's not talk about this. I heard you making a phone call in the washroom earlier, and you mentioned about police. Are you going to the police station? I'll come with you!


Jesse: No.


You: Why? I can help you to find Yangyang, also I'm certain that it's because he was looking for me that he's... Are you worrying for my safety? Don't worry, I won't run around, I'll definitely sticking by your side without leaving an inch.


I thought he'd be scratching his head in trouble like the past, then become defeated after my pleas, and finally tell me that it's only for this once, and there won't be a chance like this again.


But he didn't. The red light by the street brightened up and turned green again. After a long exchange of glances, he lets go of my shoulder, and shook his head.


Jesse: I already told you, no.



Night: Ask for the reason

Light: Agree reluctantly



Night Choice: Ask for the reason


I looked at Jesse in disbelief, but only to meet a pair of determined eyes, it's as if there's not a single room of negotiation for this matter.


You: Why not/.


Jesse: Because you are never related to this matter to begin with. You shouldn't, and there's no need for you to let yourself being involved in danger.


You: What do you mean "never related"--


Jesse: Are you trying to say that Yangyang is kidnapped because he wanted to look for you? Could he have not been kidnapped just because he didn't look for you? As long as he's the target of the kidnapper, he'll be encountering danger even if he's going out for class, or even to just buy a bottle of milk downstairs.


You: Then what about you? What does this matter have to do with you?


Jesse: There is.


You: How is it related to you?



Jesse: ... I can't say this.


It looked like he mustered great courage to say this. He then no longer looked at me. The early winter gust surged between us, and built up our very first gap ever since our reunion.


I have been tempted to meet his gaze and stubbornly request for him to tell me the reason, or to pretend to tell him in a casual manner that it's fine, because all humans have their secrets, so I won't ask anymore.


Or perhaps, just like how we did seven years ago, only to ruffle his hair, not needing to say a thing at all.


But he has been avoiding my gaze throughout this time, so there's no way for me to say or do anything.


A Jesse like this makes me feel very unfamiliar.


I suddenly realized, that the times we've lost is not going to be made up with only a single "I'm back".




Light Choice: Agree reluctantly


Jesse looked very serious, it looks like there's really no room for negotiations for this matter.



Jesse: Listen to me, don't get  yourself involved with Yangyang's matter anymore.


I still wanted to ask why. Why can't I join? And why is your attitude suddenly became so determined?


But upon meeting his gaze, there's not a single word I can say anymore.


I started to think again, if Tangyuan in the past has rejected me like this? The answer is a definite no, because he would tell me everything and anything.


It's indeed not a void when we've missed out from each other's lives for seven years. The changes that time made onto us is real, and it's so much that there's no way I can list them out in detail.


He will no longer be accommodating to me like how he did seven years ago and tell me all of his secrets, and there's no way for me to act as capriciously to Tangyuan as I was seven years ago either.


After being silent for some time, I nodded softly.



You: Forget it, I won't go anymore. If there's any message from Yangyang, remember to tell me in time.


I slowly turned around, but I still kept some anticipations with me, wondering if he'd tug onto my sleeve, and softly say "I'll tell you everything in the future once this matter is solved".


Yet there was not a single thing.



Although I have already taken a day off in the morning, but I really had no idea on what I should do next, so I returned to the office again.


Li Manman: Huh? Didn't you take a day off for urgent matters? Why are you back? Is the matter all resolved?


You: No, it's just that... my help isn't really needed anymore.


The moment I said this out, I finally realized why I was feeling sad over Jesse's rejection.


I've been spacing out throughout the entire afternoon, and I can't help but to take my phone out to see if there are any updates on Yangyang, or to search about fire incidents.


Will the fire that the kidnapper mentioned really happen?


I followed a lot of local news accounts in a go, wanting to receive news updates as soon as it's out.


Yet my phone is oddly silent today, there's not even a single spam message received, despite I've always been receiving them.


My phone ringtone finally sounded the moment I was about to finish work.


I picked it up without even a second thought.


You: Hello--



Charlie: For you to pick it up so quickly, looks like you miss me very much too huh, fiancee.


You: Charlie? Why is it you?


Charlie: Of course it's me. Could you be possibly picking up others' calls this quickly besides me?


You: What are you saying? I'm waiting for a very important message.


Charlie: I understood, that's why I called you a minute right before you finish work. It must've been a pity that you didn't eat breakfast with me this morning, right? But it's alright, I've already made a reservation at the best restaurant in Guang Qi city, I'll be picking you up later.


You: I'm talking very seriously--


???: What do you think about this painting?


Hearing an unfamiliar voice coming from the phone, although it sounded a little distant, but I managed to catch onto the word "painting".


The message in the afternoon immediately flashed before my mind. My heart clenched.


You: Charlie, who's talking to you?


Charlie: Hm? The creator of Z MUSEUM.


You: Z MUSEUM? Aren't you at work today?


Charlie: I worked at a night shift yesterday, so I'm having time off in the afternoon. I just received an invitation, so I'm here to choose some decor for our wedding house. It's a pity that this gallery is still too small. Fiancee, do you have a favorite painter besides me?


Art gallery. My heart trembled heavily.


Is this a coincidence? No way...


Rather than believing that there's nothing that will happen, it's the best for Charlie to leave before anything!


You: Listen to me, you, leave that place, right there, right now.


Charlie: You dislike this gallery? Then we'll change to another one.


You: It's not a problem of liking, you head out first, and let everyone else do the same too!


I looked towards the clock on the wall. Right at this moment, the second hand of the clock is only a step away to 6PM sharp! I yelled at Charlie, and made him to go out in a hurry!


Charlie: What's wrong, fiancee? I--


There's a second of pause on the other end of the phone. What follows are sounds of screams and burning sounds of the flames sounding by my ear through the phone's speakers.


"Click". The clock displays -- 6PM sharp.




Alternatively,  feel free to check out other translations for Light and Night here!


If you'd like to support my translations, feel free to contact me for commissions or buy me a ko-fi here!


Until next update! :)


Translates on an irregular basis, works on short bursts of energy, suffering in muscle spasms. Travelled from north to south of Japan but would go back again and again. Also a polyglot.