Main Story Chapter 10-10: Ward No.6 (六号病房) | Light and Night 光与夜之恋

1/07/2022 10:19:00 PM 0 Comments A+ a-

 

Before reading this chapter, please check Chapter 10-08 over here


Charlie: I forgot to tell you this, but she saved your contact details with only your full name.

.

.

.

.


Five minutes later, Jesse smiled at the "Tangyuan" I changed in my list of contacts.



You: Didn't you hate this name in the past?


Jesse: I'm just scared of you calling me with that name in public, but you can address me however you like in private. Or should I say, it'd be even better for you to call me "Tangyuan".


You: Eh?


Jesse: To me, this name has already carved into my memories long ago, it's just like a reflex now. Y'know, when I just arrived a new country, I can't hold back from yelling "present!" whenever I heard something similar to "tangyuan". So, after all these years, you have became my instinct.


He scratches the back of his head shyly as he spoke.


I smiled as I looked at him, quietly changing his detail as "Tangyuan that has became an adult".


Thud thud thud-- Sounds of panicked, hurry footsteps could be heard from outside the door. Just when I turned my head over, a black shadow dashed before my eyes, and hid into layers of ward curtains.


You: ?!


A middle-aged woman walked into the ward right after, panting as she held onto the door frame. Seeing Jesse and I staring at her, she nodded at us apologetically.



Woman: I'm sorry, I think my son seemed to have ran into this ward.


She pointed to the curtain bulging up with a little pair of sneakers revealed at its bottom.


I quickly waved at her to gesture to her that it's fine, then walked towards the curtains, getting ready to open it.


Right at the moment my hand touched the curtain, a long scream is heard from within.


Before I can even respond to it, the little boy in the curtain dashed out, almost bumped me to a side, then acted like he's about to hide under the hospital bed, still muttering about something.


Boy: I'm not leaving, granny told me to stay here, she told me in my dreams. She said this is called message delivery through dreams!


Woman: What nonsense are you talking about!?


The woman kneeled on the ground, extending an arm to grab onto the boy's shoulder in attempts to drag him out from his hiding spot under the hospital bed.


Jesse walked towards me, frowning and asked quietly.



Jesse: Did you bump into anything?


You: I'm fine.


The mother is almost lying entirely flat on the floor, but who would've expected for the boy to escape from the other side and hid right back into the curtains and crashing around.


Jesse and I exchanged a glance and let out a sigh together. Jesse mouthed "I'll go help" towards me, and nimbly touched towards the window.


Right next, he immediately spread his arms open and blocked the boy from moving, faintly grabbing the boy's arms with each hand, moving so nimbly as if he isn't someone with a wound on his leg.


The boy twisted around crazily under Jesse's control, the curtains is now swung open, and the light pours in because of this.


His black pupils rolled up, muttering words in his mouth, giving me inner shivers upon sight.


Jesse: Are you alright?


The boy stayed quiet, only grabbed onto Jesse's hand and bit on it! Jesse gasped in pain, but he didn't let go.


Boy: Only with this I can see granny, she said you are all not letting her to receive treatment, you are all bad people...


Just when the woman stood up and tidying her messy appearance, upon hearing this, unsure where she has gotten her strength from, she suddenly stride towards the boy.


She dragged the boy from Jesse and started shouting loudly.


Woman: Who taught you words like these?! So you've skipped tuition class and came all the way to the hospital on your own? Do you know how long you've made daddy and mommy worry for you?!


The boy seemed to be scared into confusion, stopped his struggling for a moment, but he's still rolling his eyes and breathing heavily.


Woman: Get going, you're coming home with me!


Boy: I'm not leaving, I didn't say anything wrong! Granny said she can't bear to let me go in my dreams, she didn't want to leave, but all of you have no plans to keep her! I asked her if she can bring me along, she said yes!


The woman originally wanted to raise an arm to drag her son away, but stunned as soon as she heard the words from her son.


Her flustered expressions quickly turned pale, no longer feeling bothered to have outsiders around, she squatted down and grabbed onto the boy's shoulders, her forehead exposing the green veins of surprise.


Woman: Yangyang, don't scare mommy, what happened to you?



Yangyang: I want to see granny, I want to see granny!


Woman: No! Mommy can promise anything else, but not this! Granny's ward is watched closely, general people can't enter, also how she look right now will scare you. Come home with mommy, okay?


Yangyang: I'm not afraid, I'm not afraid at all, as long as I can see granny, I'm really not afraid...


The boy repetitively muttered these words, his tiny face is soaked wet by his tears.


With the fragments of the story roughly being pieced in my mind, the boy's grandmother is probably warded in ICU, but due to certain reasons, his parents are unwilling to let the boy see her.


Woman: Yangyang, what happens here is very complicated, it's not something that a child like you can understand. You'll understand when you're grown up!


She seem to be unwilling to continue any further, panickily carried the boy, but the boy grabbed tightly onto the hospital railing instead, that his little fists clenched so hard they became completely reddened.


Between the pushing and shoving, a yellow, rectangular paper fluttered to the ground.


Before I can even look at the image drawn on it properly, the woman has already picked it up angrily, and tear it into shreds.


Woman: Why would you carry these ill-omened things?!


Yangyang: Those belong to granny, give it back to me!


The boy widened his eyes as he stared at the shredded paper from his mother's hands, tears flowed down along his cheeks.


He squatted down, burying his head between his knees, his tiny figure trembles vigorously, just like a leaf fluttering in the cold winds.


Yangyang: I promised granny to keep it well...


Suddenly, the boy wobbled and collapsed on the floor, his black pupils kept rolling up again.


Woman: Yangyang, Yangyang what's wrong?!


I'm suddenly uncertain of what I should do, only looking at Jesse to ask for help. He is looking at the boy curling up in a ball, his lips pursed tightly.


This is my first time seeing him being so angry.



Jesse: I know why your son became this way.


The woman and I were shocked.


Jesse put his empty palms together, and when it's opened again, a small jade plate is quietly lying on his palm.


The woman looked at him in shock, and under Jesse's affirmative gaze, he picked up the jade plate to have a look.


Jesse: He isn't sick, I can see that. My family practices Taoist exorcism. This item is the proof of Taoist exorcists.


Woman: Taoist exorcism? If it weren't for that thing, his grandmother wouldn't even be hospitalized. I'm sorry, we still have important things to do, so we'll be leaving.


Her expressions immediately became cold, mindlessly pull the boy up, seemingly wanting to avoid the situation as quickly as possible.


Jesse: The paper talisman you torn off earlier was originally used to protect your son, so he won't be disrupted by those* things.


*T/N: Spirits, ghosts or the sort.


He looked at the remaining shreds of paper in the woman's hands with a serious face, no longer showing his hostility in his tone.


Woman: Those things?


The woman repeated these words, looking a little confused. My confusion is nothing lesser than hers, but my instincts are telling me that it's not a good time to ask questions right now.


Jesse: It's the so-called spiritual possession.


You: This is the 21st century, you should know your limits even if you're talking nonsense.


Jesse: You can hold onto this jade plate right now, and I'll know your situation. You've left your hometown since you were young to study overseas, had a traffic accident when you were 20, and hence you got to know your husband right now from the incident. Your mother in law opened a sundry store, there are always quite some people asking her for her exorcism services, because she was once a Taoist exorcist too, am I right?


The woman trembled a little, but instead of showing joy or wonder from having her background told, her face exudes fear.


Jesse: Your son is named Cheng YiYang, he's 9 years old this year, his grandmother raised him when he was young--


Woman: He's indeed Cheng YiYang! You- Are you really...


She stood up and took a few steps backwards.



Jesse: Your son's body is already invaded by spirits, if it's not handled in time, the consequences are inevitable. This is all I can tell, it's all up to you to believe it or not.


The woman bit her lips and looked at her son limping on the floor with hesitation. The little boy is having shortness of breath, seeming muttering something, but nobody can hear him clearly.


Woman: Then... what should I do about this?


Jesse: I'll be casting a ritual, it's not long since he was possessed, so I'm still somewhat confident. It'd be heard to say if it keeps dragging any longer. If you believe in me, please leave the room temporarily. Family members can't present when I cast rituals.


The woman's eyes reddened, the aggressiveness earlier seemed like they were all just a mask, and in an instant, her exhaustions are all looking very apparent.


Woman: I understand now. But, can I really not stay here?


Jesse: You can't.


Seeing his serious expressions, the woman gave in. She squatted down and hugged the boy named Yangyang, then walked out as she kept looking back.


As soon as she left the room, Jesse's shoulders immediately drooped in relief.


He looked like he was someone completely different just now! I already had a bunch of questions to ask, but with consideration that the boy is still in the room, so I can only gesture him to lean his ear closer.


You: Were what you say real or fake? How did you know those things in their family?



Jesse: I judged half of them by sight, and the other half are things that I knew since a long time ago.


You: ?


Jesse: The store that I went to the rescue was a sundry store.


I was stunned for a second. Sundry store, elderly with serious condition, rescuing, saving people, these keywords suddenly connected.


You: So you saved that elderly?! Then how did this woman not know you?


Jesse: Well I don't leave my name when I'm doing good deeds.


You: Then how did you see the rest? How did you know all these?


Jesse: Told ya my family are Taoists, this is the truth. Do you remember tripping at my house when you were little and you ended up didn't sleep well for days, and suddenly recovered?


You: I think something like that did happen.


Jesse: Actually you bumped into those kinda things, it's my grandpa that handled it, there was even glutinous rice and salt* placed under your pillow.


*T/N: Typical items used in Chinese families when we believe there might be spirits lurking...


You: I remember it now! I flipped the pillow over on the next day, and I was evens scolded by granny! Then what about Yangyang? Did he bump into something like how I did back then?


Jesse: His condition is not quite the same as yours, but I have my method.


He walked towards the boy and helped him up, gaze meeting the pair of eyes that have been long dried from crying.


Jesse: Yangyang.


He slowly reads out the boy's name, index finger pressing between his brows.



Jesse: You aren't actually possessed by anything, right?


You: ...?


Jesse: Your mom is already out, so you can tell me the truth now, why are you acting this way?


The boy still remained silent, only staring at Jesse in full alertness, still short in breath.


Jesse sighed, seemingly having understood something.


Jesse: If you can tell me, then I'll promise to not tell anyone else.


Under our gaze, Yangyang's hand moved. He subconsciously dug the gap between the tiles behind him, but still said nothing.


Jesse: Otherwise I'll just directly tell your mom that you were just pretending. Or, I'll tell her that there's a need for her to send you to weird wizards to be cured, and when that happens--


You: Why are you even starting to threaten him...


The unexpected thing was, those sentences from him were actually very effective. Yangyang's black pupils turned in hesitation.


He was originally lowering his head, but right now, he's looking directly towards Jesse, seemingly already made up his mind.


Yangyang: How do you know... I'm fine?


Jesse: If I can't even see this bit of thing, how can I be in the same industry as your granny?


Yangyang: Promise you'll never tell my dad and mom?


Jesse: Mm, I promise. But I also have a condition, let this big sister here to listen too, okay? I promise, she will also not tell anything out.


Yangyang tapped onto the floor with the tip of his feet, and gave it a thought.


Yangyang: Okay then. But, you can't ask for anything further.


Jesse and I nodded together, then made a gesture to zip our lips in tacit. Yangyang looked at us, and he looked like he was entertained, his chubby cheeks seemed to look a little puffier.



Yangyang: Actually, I overheard dad and mom's conversation... They thought I fell asleep, so they talked without concerns. They said they want to bring granny home, and no longer continue treatment in the hospital. But if that happens, granny will- granny will--


He shivered in fear, no longer continuing his words. The word hidden behind that sentence, even a nine-year-old have already understood its meaning.


Jesse: So you thought of a method, right?


Jesse looked at Yangyang affirmatively, and encouraged him to continue talking. I think I can faintly guess what happens next.


Yangyang: Yeah, I met a big brother, he's just like what I did earlier, and it looked very scary. His family looked for help from granny, and they said, as long as he's cured, they can promise anything. So as long as I become that way, daddy and mommy will definitely want granny to rescue me too. If that's the case, then everyone will not give up on her anymore. Big brother, big sister, this method will work, right? Dad and mom won't ignore me.


His voice already sounded like he's very anxious by the time he said his last sentence, as if he is really trying to get an affirmative answer from us.


We understood what he meant, but we didn't know how to answer him.


For his grandmother that is about to be given up on treatment, this child has thought of the most effective strategy that he believed in, his idea's complexity is way exceeding his age. However--


Without hearing our reply, Yangyang's eyes reddened. He took out a crumpled paper from the pocket in his pants, and stuffed it into Jesse's hand.


Yangyang: My granny is very nice, really. Look.


He clumsily helped Jesse to open the paper in a hurry, the handwriting is of a child's, even mixed with pinyin*, but the content is actually a will.


*T/N: Spelling on how a Chinese word is pronounced.


The opening explains that this will is written on behalf of her by her grandchild because she can't hold a pen.


The next few segments are about the division of properties, then what follows are her exhorts for "son, daughter in law, and grandchild Yangyang", and finally it is written that she is willing to donate her body after death, and hope to make her contributions to the medical world.



Yangyang (sobbing): Ever since I started living with dad and mom, I haven't been able to see granny for a long time. Granny hasn't been well, she always have to see the doctors in the hospital for her sickness, but she never told dad and mom, so we didn't know. There was once I visited granny, she suddenly asked me to help her to write- write a will. Now, something really happened to her...


Yangyang grabbed tightly onto Jesse's finger, his tears flowed down once again.


Yangyang: Please help me to tell mom to not give up on grandma, okay?


I can't help but to nod aggressively. Jesse extended his pinky, and gestured for a pinky promise.


Jesse: We will definitely tell this to your mom.


Yangyang: Okay...


He placed his little forehead onto the hands we extended to him, sobbing gradually becoming loud. I can feel my skin dampened.


After making this promise, only then Jesse has invited his mother into the room, using mystical vocabularies to explain that her son fell into the demon's traps for being overly worried about his grandmother.


Jesse: Although Yangyang is already fine, but there's a need to let him visit his grandmother more often, to ensure everything will go fine.


Seeing the calm son calling her "mommy", the woman was first showing joy in her expressions, but startled and shed tears after hearing what comes next. She squatted down and hugged her son.


Woman: It's daddy and mommy's fault for being useless, we've let granny down, please don't blame mommy...


After bowing deeply towards us, she left with Yangyang. I looked at Jesse, but only to see his usually cheerful gaze drooping unenergetically.


Will it be useful for Yangyang to do this? The answer to the question turned into a bitter, sticky air, filling each and every corner of the ward.


???: Jesse, how do you feel today? Are you certain that you can get discharged?


A plump-looking man dressed in suit stood by the entrance, looking a little surprised after seeing me.


Suddenly, Jesse raised his hands and rubbed his face immediately, as if he's rubbing the gloomy expressions away from his face, and he has already looking like he's filled with energy by the the he turned towards me.



Jesse: He's my manager, you can call him Da Liang.


You: Okay...


Manager: Jesse, the tour press conference is delayed to two days later, I was thinking you can rest a little more for the next two days.


Jesse: Thank you.


You: Do you want to get discharged now?


Jesse: Yeah, there are some delayed works that need to be worked on as soon as possible.


You: Then you'll need to take note of your rest alright? I'll be leaving.


Jesse: Huh? Aren't you going to have lunch with us?


You: No, you bought too much for breakfast, I'm still full even until now. You probably have a lot of things to do before you are discharged, like procedures and such, so I will stay away from being part of your troubles.


I smiled and waved at him, but only with two steps away, I heard him calling for my name instead.


Jesse: Y/N.


You: Hm?



Jesse: Yangyang will be able to cheer up, I can see that he'll be a kind and excellent person.


I looked into his eyes seriously, he smiled warmly at me once again, and nodded at me affirmatively.


You: Yeah.


After seeing the girl's silhouette disappearing from the corner, Jesse stayed quiet for a moment, and suddenly recalled Yangyang's expressions.


That made him feel very familiar, the same immature face, the same anxious eyes.


Also the same obliviousness on how there is nothing that can be done towards the situation before him.


Manager: Jesse, she is the reason of your return to this country, right?


Jesse: Yeah. I won't go to the office in the afternoon, there's still something to do.


Manager: Is your burn really alright?


Jesse: I'm fine. I'll get changed.


He smiled, took the T-shirt and entered the washroom, then locked the door. The mirror reflects his gradually grim expressions.



Jesse: How did that boy smell like a Strain...? He and his mother are clearly ordinary humans. Could it be...





You can now read Chapter 10-13 here!


Alternatively, feel free to check out other translations for Light and Night here!


If you'd like to support my translations, feel free to contact me for commissions or buy me a ko-fi here!


Until next update! :)







Translates on an irregular basis, works on short bursts of energy, suffering in muscle spasms. Travelled from north to south of Japan but would go back again and again. Also a polyglot.